Its Official: Donte Whitner Is a Bust!

This just became official today? I thought it was official after not making a single play in his first 4 years.

He's made a few, including the pick-6 against the Bucs last year. Still extremely inconsistent in coverage though, today was no exception.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official: If you are still crying about a draft pick from 5 years ago, you're a tool. :thumbsup:

What if fans are observing that a current player on the team is not god enough? Is that considered acceptable?

What if fans are observing that a current player on the team is not god enough? Is that considered acceptable?

When fans are fixating on only one of many guys that could be better...and one who is far from the worst of the bunch...to a ridiculous extent...ignoring the good plays he DOES MAKE and made today...then it isn't acceptable.

DW is about the last thing to whine about on this team. Have you ever played defensive back? Because covering someone on every play for 5 seconds or more will wear you out. No imagine covering Moss. We have no pass rush and the secondary gets hung out to dry. And this jsut in: Brady is really good.

Brady played with him today. I'm pretty sure he just looked at where Donte and Keith Ellison were on every play and threw it to the guy they were covering.

Bryan Scott was a beast today and should be starting over Donte. Missed on that TD to Gronkowski but that play was just perfectly executed. No reason for Donte to see the field anymore - he's not a building block.

DW is about the last thing to whine about on this team.  Have you ever played defensive back?  Because covering someone on every play for 5 seconds or more will wear you out.  No imagine covering Moss.  We have no pass rush and the secondary gets hung out to dry.  And this jsut in:  Brady is really good.

If there were ever a place for people to whine about Donte Whitner it is probably this thread.

I realize he's not the biggest problem for the 2010 Buffalo Bills, but he's not exactly helping the cause out there. I don't hate the guy, I just wish he could make his presence felt in a positive way as other DBs have, despite the monumentally dismal pass rush. He's not being asked to run stride for stride with Randy Moss for 5 seconds or even at all, but he was twice extraordinarily late in recognizing where the ball was going, and that's been his MO for 4 years, whether he's lined as a FS, SS or 2 Deep. Mentally, he's a little slow to react.  

Is it okay that I don't think he's that great despite the defense's other shortcomings and my own lack of defensive backfield playing experience? I'll hang up and listen.

Whitner, Maybin, McCargo, all bad first round picks.

Whitner seems to hurt the team more IMO because he is starting. For now anyhow.

All the picks used in the secondary and they still get worked by good QBs.

1. We have no pass ruch. none. Zero.

2. We were playing Brady, Moss and Welker.

Do you have anything to say about the substance of his post?

Didn't think so.

Other than the fact that yet again, his bias against Whitner due to his being picked instead of Ngata has blinded him to the fact that Whitner was one of FOUR DBs that had a horrible game? Right. Nothing to debate when the dude made up his mind years ago. He's a one-trick pony. It's always that we haven't spent all our first-rounders on the OL.

Ok in this thread, you have the predictable Bill talking about his annual shitfit he had draft after draft of 1st round DB's (rightly so). You have numerous people with their panties in a bunch because the D got torched by Tom Brady who has been doing the same thing for the past decade to a lot of other teams besides the Bills. The few voices of reason are getting shut down by the loonies here. and JSP made a good post just to get some poor treatment.

Fact of the matter is that Cindy Brady hardly had a hand touched upon her, save the one Kyle Williams sack. When your best pass rush is coming from your nose tackle, your pass rush is not getting it done. George Edwards was content with dropping 7or 8 into coverage and letting Brady pick that apart as opposed to a 5-6 man rush and having Brady beat the blitz.

For you guys that want to criticize Whitner for his play today, you should be criticizing Florence before him as Brady picked on him over the other DB's. That said, those who want Scott over Whitner. Scott was covering TE's because Kelsay couldn't keep up and the corners were too weak. You may also want to consider that a Strong Safety's job is more involved in covering underneath and run support in a 3-4, and Donte does lead the team in tackles. A Free Safety is supposed to hang back and play center field and allow the Strong Safety to be the punisher.

While I would agree that it was not the best pick in the draft, Whitner has not done bad by the Bills and is still getting better. So to call him a bust is just showing that you have to B word about something. Frankly I propose that the Bills just forfeit every first round pick so you guys can never B word about anything ever again EVER. What kills me, when I sort through the drivel that gets spewed on this board is that you guys can't be ever be content with watching the process and development of a player. It quickly goes from "I hope he's good" to "He sucks after 2 starts, let's get rid of him." With the perpetual rebuilding of this franchise, what hampers the Bills the most is the lack of development of players especially when they get lambasted by Jerry Sullivan and the fans to the point where I could understand why these players would want out.

So in closing, don't be criticizing one of the few players on the team that is busting his ass all over the field. You guys will whine when he is starring somewhere else. See Williams, Winfield, Leonhard, Bannan, Morris, McBadknee, Greer, etc....

DW is about the last thing to whine about on this team. Have you ever played defensive back? Because covering someone on every play for 5 seconds or more will wear you out. No imagine covering Moss. We have no pass rush and the secondary gets hung out to dry. And this jsut in: Brady is really good.

Terrance McGee doesn't seem to have a problem and he did a great job in coverage all day. Whitner has been consistently slow to react. Today, he got beat quite a few times. As you pointed out, a nonexistent pass rush doesn't help him but Donte's lack of coverage skills are fairly apparent. If Nix is smart, he'll allow Whitner to move onto greener pastures next season.

It's official: If you are still crying about a draft pick from 5 years ago, you're a tool. :thumbsup:

I hear a lot of complaining about knee jerk reactions and "you have to wait 5 years" too. So is anyone who talks about any draft pick ever a tool?

If there were ever a place for people to whine about Donte Whitner it is probably this thread.

I realize he's not the biggest problem for the 2010 Buffalo Bills, but he's not exactly helping the cause out there. I don't hate the guy, I just wish he could make his presence felt in a positive way as other DBs have, despite the monumentally dismal pass rush. He's not being asked to run stride for stride with Randy Moss for 5 seconds or even at all, but he was twice extraordinarily late in recognizing where the ball was going, and that's been his MO for 4 years, whether he's lined as a FS, SS or 2 Deep. Mentally, he's a little slow to react.  

Is it okay that I don't think he's that great despite the defense's other shortcomings and my own lack of defensive backfield playing experience? I'll hang up and listen.

Haha, A+

Ok in this thread, you have the predictable Bill talking about his annual shitfit he had draft after draft of 1st round DB's (rightly so). You have numerous people with their panties in a bunch because the D got torched by Tom Brady who has been doing the same thing for the past decade to a lot of other teams besides the Bills. The few voices of reason are getting shut down by the loonies here. and JSP made a good post just to get some poor treatment.

Fact of the matter is that Cindy Brady hardly had a hand touched upon her, save the one Kyle Williams sack. When your best pass rush is coming from your nose tackle, your pass rush is not getting it done. George Edwards was content with dropping 7or 8 into coverage and letting Brady pick that apart as opposed to a 5-6 man rush and having Brady beat the blitz.

For you guys that want to criticize Whitner for his play today, you should be criticizing Florence before him as Brady picked on him over the other DB's. That said, those who want Scott over Whitner. Scott was covering TE's because Kelsay couldn't keep up and the corners were too weak. You may also want to consider that a Strong Safety's job is more involved in covering underneath and run support in a 3-4, and Donte does lead the team in tackles. A Free Safety is supposed to hang back and play center field and allow the Strong Safety to be the punisher.

While I would agree that it was not the best pick in the draft, Whitner has not done bad by the Bills and is still getting better. So to call him a bust is just showing that you have to B word about something. Frankly I propose that the Bills just forfeit every first round pick so you guys can never B word about anything ever again EVER. What kills me, when I sort through the drivel that gets spewed on this board is that you guys can't be ever be content with watching the process and development of a player. It quickly goes from "I hope he's good" to "He sucks after 2 starts, let's get rid of him." With the perpetual rebuilding of this franchise, what hampers the Bills the most is the lack of development of players especially when they get lambasted by Jerry Sullivan and the fans to the point where I could understand why these players would want out.

So in closing, don't be criticizing one of the few players on the team that is busting his ass all over the field. You guys will whine when he is starring somewhere else. See Williams, Winfield, Leonhard, Bannan, Morris, McBadknee, Greer, etc....

:worthy:

I hate to say it but I thought Byrdamn looked terrible.

Brady is a master of the look off and those two rookie TEs are going to freeze a lot of safeties up this year.

It is more of a problem with out LBs than safeties. Donte may not be perfect in coverage but he is a tackling machine, this thread reminds me of the WTF Fletcher/Leonard need to go threads of a couple years ago too.

BTW McBadknee LMFAO

I'd say the criticism comes more from angry fans who disapprove of his non-stop tweets. That's the real reason he gets more shyt than our other DB's.

I personally wouldn't mind him shutting his yap and simply playing ball. Usually guys who run their mouths as much as DW does has no problem backing it up come game day.

If your excuse is that the lack of pass rush prevents you from doing your job, then maybe you shouldn't spend all week calling out the other team. Put your helmet on and play ball like everyone else... :unsure:

Florence and Byrd played bad as well. Since we are talking safeties in this thread I am willing to give Byrd a pass because it is only his 2nd year in the league. He is still learning. Byrd is flawed in a few areas like the running game and still makes some mistakes in coverage that he needs to improve on. However, Byrd has the ability to cover a lot of field and he just knows how to make plays like what the elite safeties in the league do. He is a ball hawk and even though he had a bad game, still had a fumble recovery. Elite safeties get and force turnovers. On the other hand we have Whitner, a top ten pick in his 4 or 5th year and is a total non-factor on this defense and still makes rookie mistakes. His awareness in coverage is below average and doesn't show the ability to be a playmaker. His progress of where his talent level should be is the most disappointing. Haven't any of us noticed when he has been injured over the years, we have not lost a step in the safety position?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Other than the fact that yet again, his bias against Whitner due to his being picked instead of Ngata has blinded him to the fact that Whitner was one of FOUR DBs that had a horrible game? Right. Nothing to debate when the dude made up his mind years ago. He's a one-trick pony. It's always that we haven't spent all our first-rounders on the OL.

It would be far more appropriate if you took your numerous personal insults off the board Joe. If you do so, I will be only to happy to point out some areas in which you fall oh so short, but I am above going there on the wall.