scouting mallet

playman

I'm not seeing the pinpoint accuracy I'd have expected from Mallett. The INT he just threw was a real brainfart.

He rebounded pretty nicely after that terrible INT, but he certainly seems to checkdown quite a bit. He's also taking command of the huddle in a pressure situation which is a big point in his favor; but his accuracy is leaving a lot to be desired, overall.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

halftime assesement ( spelling?)

so far there were 2 passes he should not have thrown. 1 the pick and 1 a shouldve been picked.

also some pretty good passes, the best in my opinion the one down field over the outside shoulder where his receiver got up limping on.

footwork looks smooth for a guy that big. showed just enough speed on the rollout. another great pass btw.

also noted that his o-line gives him good time to throw on most passes. maybe we should look at a package next draft :lol:

side note: for all ive been reading about the arkansas D beeing a liability theyve done pretty well so far

great game to watch. hope for more of the same 2nd half :beer:

Andrew Luck will be the first QB selected in the draft.

Mallet will go next.

Locker will wish he had come out last year.

Luck has 2 more years of eligibility. I really don't think he comes out.

Mallett is looking like the real deal though. Just on this drive, as the announcers have pointed out, his footwork, and his height allowed him to make a couple of plays just on that last drive alone.

300 yards passing in 3 qtrs against the consesus #1 team in the nation. This guy would look great in a Bills uni. No QB does everything perfect. This guy is clutch and getting done on the biggest of stages.

I agree about Mallett proving he's the real deal, but I'm not sure Alabama is really deserving of the #1 ranking. They've beaten up some cream puffs (Duke, San Jose State, a Penn State team with a QB making just his 2nd career start). It's certainly a feather in his cap but succeeding against the #1 ranked team of Week 4 isn't the same as doing it in a Bowl game.

Still, he's been nothing short of terrific and answered most if not all of the questions surrounding him... so far. Hopefully, he can finish it off here in the 4th.

300 yards passing in 3 qtrs against the consesus #1 team in the nation. This guy would look great in a Bills uni. No QB does everything perfect. This guy is clutch and getting done on the biggest of stages.

He would be a complete disaster behind the current OL. Better fix that first before you ruin him.

Mallett is an impressive prospect. After watching last weeks game he'll need to have the game of his life to beat Alabama. Arkansas, IMO, lacks the running game and defense to beat Alabama. The only shot they have is if Mallett goes off and versus a Nick Saban defense I don't see it happening. I expect Saban to throw a ton of blitzs up the middle and force Mallett to move outside the pocket.

Arkansas was up big on Geaorgia last week and then let Georgia right back in the game in the 4th quarter. They can't have any slip ups like that this week, but playing at home should help.

Today is a great test for Mallet and if he wants to be a top pick he has to perform well. If he puts up a stinker, Luck will continue to dominate the headlines and Mallett will lose a lot of the momentum he's been gaining in the media. I've been an advocate of Mallett on this board, so to be honest I'm a little fearful of what I may see out of him today vs. Bama.

My gut is Bama wins comfortably and Mallett has one of his poorer performances (a couple on interecptions and low completion %).

Bama -250 moneyline is a solid bet today. I'm not betting it though because I want to be able to objectively assess Mallett without screaming everytime he makes a nice play.

Andrew Luck is playing at the same time (3:30 PM) @ Notre Dame, for anyone who doesn't already know.

BTW here are my takes on Mallett:

Strengths:

-Playaction fake is deadly. Really sells the ball fake and can freeze the defense

-Arm strength is the best of any College QB. Can throw a laser anywhere on the field.

-Has a good feel for the pocket around him. Is able to buy time moving around and isn't afraid to step up into the pocket.

-Can deliver the ball downfield on the move

-His height helps him see the entire field

-Not afraid to take chances downfield (which some may view as a negative, but after watching trent edwards the last 3 years it's a positive in my book)

Weaknesses

-Accuracy can be suspect at times especially on the short & short/medium passes

-Needs to work on his touch on the short balls to create a more catchable ball (sometimes they come out too hot)

-Thows off balance more than you'd like to see, often throwing off of his backfoot when it's not neccesary.

-Is not a very thick QB, kind of lean looking.

-Plays in a Petrino "spread like" offense (same as Brian Brohm) and isn't under center very often. Perhaps a learning curve when he enters the NFL.

I think the assessment of Mallett's short throws coming out too hot is entirely true. He's really fired some bullet passes in this game for only 5-6 yards and his receiver's can't even grab onto them.

Luck has 2 more years of eligibility. I really don't think he comes out.

Mallett is looking like the real deal though. Just on this drive, as the announcers have pointed out, his footwork, and his height allowed him to make a couple of plays just on that last drive alone.

Luck is eligible to come out.

anyone who advices a sure lottery pick to stay in school should have their head examined.

I think Mallett gets a pass if he wasn't surrounded by as much talent as he is. I mean, 'Bama is good, no doubt. But, so are the Razorbacks. And Mallett still has a tough time making difficult throws. A lot of his numbers are padded by YAC. This last INT was just a terrible ball. Not an easy throw, but not a throw every NFL QB that doesn't play for the Bills can make.