I still don't get Gaileys issue with Spiller

DarthICE

He was listed as the starter in game one but now he isn't. Now they want to 'bring him along slowly' when every other rookie RB is starting and beginning to kick ass. Did the Bills miss again on a first round pick? It is just a known thing that RB is hands down the easiest position to just start as a rookie in the NFL. Spiller is hands down the most explosive weapon we have and he is sitting? He is the highest paid back on the team and he is sitting? This kid was clearly the best in the preseason, was here for OTA's etc Vs lynch sitting at home etc. So WTF? WTF is Gailey thinking sitting our #9 high paid, most talented RB on the bench?

We better pray that this kid becomes a full time starter because teams can't afford with the cap to pay multi millions to utility players.

He was listed as the starter in game one but now he isn't. Now they want to 'bring him along slowly' when every other rookie RB is starting and beginning to kick ass. Did the Bills miss again on a first round pick? It is just a known thing that RB is hands down the easiest position to just start as a rookie in the NFL. Spiller is hands down the most explosive weapon we have and he is sitting? He is the highest paid back on the team and he is sitting? This kid was clearly the best in the preseason, was here for OTA's etc Vs lynch sitting at home etc. So WTF? WTF is Gailey thinking sitting our #9 high paid, most talented RB on the bench?

We better pray that this kid becomes a full time starter because teams can't afford with the cap to pay multi millions to utility players.

Im not sure he is the most talented, but he will be. And I agree why drop millions on 2 first rounders and keep them on the bench. Not saying maybin should play he is a bust. But spiller should see the feild more, maybe as a WR...

Seeing Freddy and Lynch were both injured for the first game,,,,, I think that may have had something to do with why he was "listed" as the starter. I know all 3 backs suited up and played, but CJ was the healthiest. I wouldn't read to much into whom the starter is anyways.

They may not be playing CJ cause our line is horrid and his pass blocking isn't great. Also we have 3 good running backs, and maybe just maybe Chan is showcasing Freddy or Lynch for possible trade b4 this years deadline.

I honestly don’t want CJ getting killed out there and ruin him for what he may bring down the road. We r a terrible team at this time and running your rookie RB into the ground really won't help that much. We aren't going to the S.B. or even the playoffs,,,,, so relax!

I honestly don’t want CJ getting killed out there and ruin him for what he may bring down the road. We r a terrible team at this time and running your rookie RB into the ground really won't help that much. We aren't going to the S.B. or even the playoffs,,,,, so relax!

Football Genius Buddy Nix doesn't make mistakes. Therefore, what appears to be a highly questionable selection given all of the holes on this team is actually a great move that will just pan out many years down the road when the rest of the roster has completely turned over.

No sense getting these great picks like Spiller and Carrington NFL experience now. Let them take a couple of years to soak in the game from the sidelines in street clothes.

Ice, I think Spiller was the starter for game one because Jackson and Lynch were still nursing injuries. I think Jackson still is. Maybe since they are healthier now, Spiller can be worked in more slowly.

Also, he may not have performed very well week 1 with Blitz pick-ups, leading to his being "worked in slowly"

I think it is nothing to worry about. By the mid-season mark, I expect Spiller to be getting far more snaps. We will see what he does with them.

For anyone who might have experienced this playing sports in high school or the collegiate level, when you go from one level to the next, you can look great in practice but when the games come along, look really look out of place. I imagine this is many times more the case in the NFL and can get you put back on the bench with the "not ready yet" label.

The other possibility, perhaps CJ started week one due to the injuries to Lynch and Freddie and this was the plan later, or perhaps Chan just learned how good the other guys are during the real games and decided to get them touches.

Whatever the case, to me the biggest head scratcher is this continuing pattern where practice, camp and preseason are not providing an accurate barometer for game performance.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Football Genius Buddy Nix doesn't make mistakes. Therefore, what appears to be a highly questionable selection given all of the holes on this team is actually a great move that will just pan out many years down the road when the rest of the roster has completely turned over.

No sense getting these great picks like Spiller and Carrington NFL experience now. Let them take a couple of years to soak in the game from the sidelines in street clothes.

Exactly. These are "real football men" we're talking about, after all. Who are you and I to doubt them? Nix has built tons of teams as an area scout, and Gailey's mediocre run at Georgia Tech shows that he has exactly what it takes to compete in the most competitive division in the N.F.L.

Exactly. These are "real football men" we're talking about, after all. Who are you and I to doubt them? Nix has built tons of teams as an area scout, and Gailey's mediocre run at Georgia Tech shows that he has exactly what it takes to compete in the most competitive division in the N.F.L.

Shut up.

Spiller dances around WAY too much!

Spiller dances around WAY too much!

It is going to take him a while to adjust his game to the NFL...if Chan is trying to "save Spiller" because of the inept offensive line, we might never see Spiller again. I am wondering, did Chan and Buddy look at any game film from last year? If you take Chan at his word, he seems really surprised at how bad this offense is. Only two weeks into the season, but man, a lot of the good feelings I had about Chan are starting to fade. It's not so much what has transpired on the field (at my optimistic best, I thought the Bills/Dolphins game could go either way, and figured we would get crushed by the Packers), but the way the coach is reacting.

Like I said in another post, I don't know Chan Gailey well enough yet, to know if what he says it what he means all of the time, but he just seems perplexed by how bad this team is on offense. That is disappointing. I think benching Trent is the right move, and I can understand, to a degree, how/why Trent won the QB derby, but it is right to minimize the damage right away.

I will be really disappointed (instead of the expected "disappointed" that the Bills inspire as of late) if Chan Gailey can't figure a way out to use C.J. Spiller. It was really the only thing to get excited about, coming into this season.

Three picks near the top of the 1st 3 rounds, and not a one is starting on an God-awful football team... that is just ridiculous. :thumbdown:

Three picks near the top of the 1st 3 rounds, and not a one is starting on an God-awful football team... that is just ridiculous. :thumbdown:

Exactly. If this kid isn't getting 25 touches a game then it was a bad pick at #9. You do NOT take utility players that high. New Orleans isn't going to pay Reggie Bush anywhere near what he has been making on his next contract if he is nothing but a part time player. You just can't do that in the NFL and succeed.

As for as the OL again bull. This team was ranked 16th in rushing last year with a guy less talented. Also many backs like Barry Sanders played unGodly behind crap OL's. This is starting to reek of another wasted high draft pick by the Bills.

Everything about that pick remains a mystery.  I'd say they were trying to keep him fresh, but for what, our charge from 0-6 to 10-6 and the playoffs?

no mystery

Chan drafted him with the intent of running a spread option offense where he would do very little blocking.

However, that plan was scrapped when Denver outfoxed them in getting Tebow. Why do you thing Ralph blew a gasket when Denver made its pick.

Now it's on to tanking the season so they can draft their QB next year.

Exactly. If this kid isn't getting 25 touches a game then it was a bad pick at #9. You do NOT take utility players that high. New Orleans isn't going to pay Reggie Bush anywhere near what he has been making on his next contract if he is nothing but a part time player. You just can't do that in the NFL and succeed.

As for as the OL again bull. This team was ranked 16th in rushing last year with a guy less talented. Also many backs like Barry Sanders played unGodly behind crap OL's. This is starting to reek of another wasted high draft pick by the Bills.

this is a little hasty. even for you darth.