The Event

linksfiend

I watched it too. The writers are trying to copy Lost's model, with changing timelines and in-depth backstories. The plot seems like a cross between "24" and "X-files". I'm not sure the viewing public has the stomach for another "Lost" type show so soon after the original ended, but you never know.

I plan to keep watching.

I debated whether I wanted to watch, since I very rarely check out scripted tv (unless something is really good, then I go back and watch all the seasons at once on DVD)...but alas, I did watch, and like you guys said, it was interesting enough that I'll watch at least the next couple episodes.

I watched it too. The writers are trying to copy Lost's model, with changing timelines and in-depth backstories. The plot seems like a cross between "24" and "X-files". I'm not sure the viewing public has the stomach for another "Lost" type show so soon after the original ended, but you never know.

I plan to keep watching.

I'm not sure they'll keep up the backstories and timeline thing to the extent of Lost. It was needed for the first episode to get some character background and have the event happen in the first episode like they wanted. I'm sure there will probably be some more explaining the development of whatever that thing was, but I think most of the show will be moving forwad.

I gave it a chance thinking it would suck, but it didn't. It has a few more episodes before I'll know whether I stick with it. As long as it moves faster then Hero's did, I'll be good.

Watched it this evening On Demand. I'll watch a few more episodes, but one issue I already have is when the Secret Service got the President in the car, they should have immediately driven away, not stand around and watch the plane.

Another thing was how much noise and suction in the air when the plane was still half a mile away. Like I wrote, the production value is cheap.

I could excuse that if the actors didn't all overplay their parts. The thing about LOST was that by the end of the pilot, the actors fit their characters like a glove. In 'The Event' all I'm seeing is a bunch of people going through the motions.

Another thing was how much noise and suction in the air when the plane was still half a mile away. Like I wrote, the production value is cheap.

I could excuse that if the actors didn't all overplay their parts. The thing about LOST was that by the end of the pilot, the actors fit their characters like a glove. In 'The Event' all I'm seeing is a bunch of people going through the motions.

Comparing this show to Lost is probably going to lead to nothing but disappointment, you know?

My take is that the noise and other stuff are caused by the "thing" which makes the plane disappeared.

I agree. I said the same thing about the plane making so much noise so far away and then the plane disappears in some sort of portal and ooooh, that was the noise! I had a problem with the dude in the SUV getting on the runway of the airport so easily and I hated how the story jumped time frames so much. Just play the story from the beginning! Anyway, didn't look good in the previews. i didn't love the first episode, but i will give another couple to see how is progresses.

I didn't watch it, my current primetime TV viewing habits is currently streaming Netflix and am in the middle of Firefly :beer:

Not surprisingly, I agree with everything you say James.

Comparing this show to Lost is probably going to lead to nothing but disappointment, you know?

We know, but that's where TV is at. If theyre going to try to re-capture LOST, then they better be ready to be compared.

I watched, and probably wont watch again. For no other reason, I proved to myself that Im not ready to "get into" another show.

Luckily, I started back at episode 1 of LOST a few weeks back and am working through the first season. I'll probably stick with re-watching the series until one of the networks comes out with something good.

I agree. I said the same thing about the plane making so much noise so far away and then the plane disappears in some sort of portal and ooooh, that was the noise! I had a problem with the dude in the SUV getting on the runway of the airport so easily and I hated how the story jumped time frames so much. Just play the story from the beginning! Anyway, didn't look good in the previews. i didn't love the first episode, but i will give another couple to see how is progresses.

I may give it tonight. Depends on my mood.

1) The Secret Service guys were all jumpy and noticeable, before anything happened. They're supposed to be very subtle and more or less blend in. Don't know why this show had to jump that particular shark in the first episode to establish that Blair Underwood is the president and everyone's hustling around him and he has security up the ying-yan. Can hardly believe this is from the same network that gave us "The West Wing."

2) The flashbacks are very badly cut. There is no visual cue. LOST was excellent in this regard with fade-ins, eyes opening, noticeably different-aged characters, VW mini-buses or something to establish that our timeline was shifting. We got no help in this pilot.

3) If they were going to do that effect anyway, why not start it out as a small blue wormhole a little earlier and gradually increase the size? As you're watching it, the wind and noise came from nothing. BTW - wind and noise and the plane disappears. Wooooo. Maybe it was David Copperfield. But really, it was SPOILER aliens.

4) As Dank wrote, if they don't want it to be compared to LOST, they shouldn't have used so many of the same devices.

Not surprisingly, I agree with everything you say James.

We know, but that's where TV is at. If theyre going to try to re-capture LOST, then they better be ready to be compared.

I watched, and probably wont watch again. For no other reason, I proved to myself that Im not ready to "get into" another show.

Luckily, I started back at episode 1 of LOST a few weeks back and am working through the first season. I'll probably stick with re-watching the series until one of the networks comes out with something good.

Out of the new fare, I watched Hawaii 5-0 (mostly on good will for Daniel Day Kim) and Undercovers (created by J.J. Abrams) and enjoyed them for what they were.

Watched it and thought (besides ripping off LOST) the production value was very cheap.

Yeah so I'm watching the re-run on SyFy Channel and it's really not out of place. Production quality would fit right in for a SyFy Original movie. I was kind of getting the vibe that this was originally intended/produced for SyFy (part of NBC Universal) and somebody at the big network really liked it and/or the big network was really hurting for new shows

Glad someone mentioned the plane coming in/shaking/wind crap. How stupid.

They will probably throw in a line later about how that wind and shaking was caused by the window that opened but that will be done just to address the criticisms.

This show=FAIL.

Another criticism right off the bat: Too many characters.