Is Brohm Really This Bad?

BillsPhan

no, Brohm will get his chance by week 9.

And at the end of the season Nix and Co. will be able to safely say "There isnt a QB on our team capable of starting in the NFL". And they will address it in the offseason.

Face it, there isnt a "winner" on the roster at the QB position. Edwards, Fitz, Brohm, whoever.

Yeah, pretty much what he said...

The only benefit is that we are going to at least see the ball be thrown down the field, many times inaccurately or to the other team, but at least it will be better than watching Edwards attempt 2 yard dump passes.

His ability to pass is undeniable. Edwards and Fitz could only dream of the numbers he had in college. I can only imagine it's a chemistry/leadership thing in Gailey's decision. I feel like that is why he started Edwards. He saw how Edwards was talking to guys in the offseason and preparing like a starter. However, he didn't know how to play like a starter. Here's a nice quote about Brohm (note the completion % as well):

"Brian Brohm started 33 games at Louisville. He closed out his career as the Big East Conference's all-time leader in passing yardage, becoming the first player in league history to throw for over 10,000 yards (10,775) He finished second on the UL career list with 780 pass completions and 1,185 pass attempts, as his completion percentage (.658) is the fifth-best mark among NCAA quarterbacks active last season. He compiled a 24-9 record as a starter for the Cardinals."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-brohm?id=198

Well said, Wood-man. Keep the faith. You know Brohm's potential, and so do quite a few others. Many that aren't sure would like to find out, just to be sure. And then there are those who 'already know for sure', even though they really have no clue - just an opinion. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Some have dismissed Brohm based on nothing more than the fact he was relegated to Green Bay's practice squad, and didn't 'light it up' when he was thrown into the starting role for one game in Buffalo after being with the team less than a month (with a limited playbook, an injury-riddled o-line, an interim head coach, and lame-duck offensive coordinator).

Green Bay cut Kurt Warner before he ever saw the beginning of a regular season, so the Brohm-haters are basing their opinion in large part on the actions of a team that cut a future Superbowl MVP, 2-time NFL MVP, 4-time Pro Bowl selection, and future HOFer with multiple NFL passing records.

:doh:

Based on Chan Gailey's recent epiphany and sudden reversal regarding Trent Edwards' ability as an NFL QB, I'm pretty confident we'll see Brian Brohm in a starting role this season, and here's why:

Trent Edwards

Age 26

Exp. - 4th year

2010 salary - $1.65M

2011 - free agent

Gailey factor - “I think he’s gotten better, and that’s the best way I can judge somebody,” Gailey said after practice Monday, providing his first in-depth insight on Edwards since naming him the starter two days earlier. “I’ve seen a light at the end of the tunnel. And that’s what you’re looking for.”

Conclusion - Put a fork in him...after two regular season games, Gailey saw enough. :sick:

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Age 27

Exp. - 6th year

2010 salary - $2.3M

2011 salary - $2.8M

2012 - free agent

Gailey factor - "We are just trying to get the right combination going with personnel, maybe it fits better with Ryan."

Conclusion - ]After placing the Bills' 2010 destiny in the hands of Trent Edwards, Gailey said, "Uncle!" after just two games. For the time being the Bills will move forward with Fitzpatrick, whose experience - Chan Gailey probably feels right now - gives Buffalo the best chance to get some offense going, maybe even win a game or two, while they continue to groom Brohm. But Fitzpatrick's nearly $3M salary in 2011, for a guy that's probably at best a reliable backup in a disaster situation, will necessitate that the Bills find out once and for all what they have in former Heisman candidate and NCAA standout...

Brian Brohm

Age 24

Exp. - 3rd year

2010 salary - $470K

2011 - restricted free agent

Gailey factor - “He’s done a good job in practice and he’ll get his shot,” Gailey said, assessing Brohm. “He’s very smart. He knows where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball."

Conclusion - He'll get his shot. Gailey will take his time grooming Brohm for the scheme Chan & Buddy want, while at the same time satisfying themselves, the fans, the front office, and the owner that there is no future in Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's an RFA at the end of the season - if he succeeds, we have a QB and options going into the draft and FA market; if he fails, we cut him an free up a roster spot for the next 'QB of the Future' :rolleyes: At least, at the end of the season, we'll know about Brian Brohm - not think - know.

On the whole 'chemistry thing', Wood-man, I'm not sure there's anything to worry about there either - as I know you know, Brohm spent 3 seasons at Louisville taking snaps from Eric Wood...

After redshirting his initial year at Louisville, Wood started all 12 games at center for the Cardinals in 2005. Wood remained Louisville's starting center in his sophomore and junior seasons, starting all 13 and 12 games, respectively. Led by quarterback Brian Brohm, the 2007 Cardinals offense ranked sixth nationally with an average of 488.0 yards per game.

Alongside Alex Mack, Wood was considered one of the best centers available in the 2009 NFL Draft. He has been compared to Brad Meester by The Sporting News, but his instincts and "nastiness" on the field had scouts comparing him to the NFL's old time centers like Mike Webster of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Kansas City Chiefs. (from Wiki)

Edited by The Senator

Guest dog14787

Well said, Wood-man. Keep the faith. You know Brohm's potential, and so do quite a few others. Many that aren't sure would like to find out, just to be sure. And then there are those who 'already know for sure', even though they really have no clue - just an opinion. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Some have dismissed Brohm based on nothing more than the fact he was relegated to Green Bay's practice squad, and didn't 'light it up' when he was thrown into the starting role for one game in Buffalo after being with the team less than a month (with a limited playbook, an injury-riddled o-line, an interim head coach, and lame-duck offensive coordinator).

Green Bay cut Kurt Warner before he ever saw the beginning of a regular season, so the Brohm-haters are basing their opinion in large part on the actions of a team that cut a future Superbowl MVP, 2-time NFL MVP, 4-time Pro Bowl selection, and future HOFer with multiple NFL passing records.

:doh:

Based on Chan Gailey's recent epiphany and sudden reversal regarding Trent Edwards ability as an NFL QB, I'm pretty confident we'll see Brian Brohm in a starting role this season, and here's why:

Trent Edwards

Age 26

Exp. - 4th year

2010 salary - $1.65M

2011 - free agent

Gailey factor - “I think he’s gotten better, and that’s the best way I can judge somebody,” Gailey said after practice Monday, providing his first in-depth insight on Edwards since naming him the starter two days earlier. “I’ve seen a light at the end of the tunnel. And that’s what you’re looking for.” After two regular season games, Gailey saw enough.

Conclusion - Put a fork in him...

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Age 27

Exp. - 6th year

2010 salary - $2.3M

2011 salary - $2.8M

2012 - free agent

Gailey factor - After placing the Bills' 2010 destiny in the hands of Trent Edwards, then benching him after just 2 games, Gailey saw enough. "We are just trying to get the right combination going with personnel, maybe it fits better with Ryan."

Conclusion - For the time being the Bills will move forward with Fitzpatrick, whose experience - Chan Gailey probably feels right now - gives Buffalo the best chance to get some offense going, maybe even win a game or two, while they continue to groom Brohm. But Fitzpatrick's nearly $3M salary in 2011, for a guy that's probably at best a reliable backup in a disaster situation, will necessitate that the Bills find out once and for all what they have in former Heisman candidate and NCAA standout...

Brian Brohm

Age 24

Exp. - 3rd year

2010 salary - $470K

2011 - restricted free agent

Gailey factor - “He’s done a good job in practice and he’ll get his shot,” Gailey said, assessing Brohm. “He’s very smart. He knows where to go with the football. He’s got good velocity on the ball."

Conclusion - He'll get his shot. Gailey will take his time grooming Brohm for the scheme Chan & Buddy want, while satisfying themselves, the fans, the front office, and the owner that there is no future in Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitpatrick. He's an RFA at the end of the season - if he succeeds, we have a QB and options going into the draft and FA market; if he fails, we cut him an free up a roster spot for the next 'QB of the Future' :rolleyes: At least, at the end of the season, we'll know about Brian Brohm - not think - know.

On the whole 'chemistry thing', Wood-man, I'm not sure there's anything to worry about there either - as I know you know, Brohm spent 3 seasons at Louisville taking snaps from Eric Wood...

After redshirting his initial year at Louisville, Wood started all 12 games at center for the Cardinals in 2005. Wood remained Louisville's starting center in his sophomore and junior seasons, starting all 13 and 12 games, respectively. Led by quarterback Brian Brohm, the 2007 Cardinals offense ranked sixth nationally with an average of 488.0 yards per game.

Alongside Alex Mack, Wood was considered one of the best centers available in the 2009 NFL Draft. He has been compared to Brad Meester by The Sporting News, but his instincts and "nastiness" on the field had scouts comparing him to the NFL's old time centers like Mike Webster of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Kansas City Chiefs. (from Wiki)

Wow Senator, thats it! if there ever was a trade for Marshawn, why not have the packers Gift wrap Graham Harrell as an added bonus, between Harrell and Brohm we won't need to draft a QB in next years draft,

Wow Senator, thats it! if there ever was a trade for Marshawn, why not have the packers Gift wrap Graham Harrell as an added bonus, between Harrell and Brohm we won't need to draft a QB in next years draft,

I'm totally against trading Marshawn Lynch, our best RB - we can sign Harrell off GB's practice squad, just like we did with Brohm!

(We can do it tomorrow, if we want to go ahead with the inevitable and cut Edwards tonite. B-) )

Guest dog14787

I'm totally against trading Marshawn Lynch, our best RB - we can sign Harrell off GB's practice squad, just like we did with Brohm!

(We can do it tomorrow, if we want to go ahead with the inevitable and cut Edwards tonite. B-) )

OH thats right, hes on the practice squad so we could just go out there and snag him (wish we would)

Edited by dog14787

This is what we were trying to tell the Brohm lemmings all along, but none of them wanted to hear it. Instead they talked about how great Matt Flynn was and how Brohm just didn't "get his chance." Please.

Maybe we should try to get Flynn in the offseason if we can't get a top QB n the draft. He looks like a good QB.

Brohm can't be worse than checkdown Trent. I think he's still number 2 because everyone thinks "how could Bill Walsh have been wrong"

Bill Walsh must of only seen him in practice with shorts on.

Trent Edwards is the back up quarterback for Fitzy this week.

linky:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/20/qb-pecking-order/

It seems to me, if all three QB's were supposed to have an equal and open competition for the starting position, then Brian Brohm should move up to number two behind Fitz, while Edwards moves to the back of the line, or simply gets cut....today, before the offense even has their first practice for the Pats tomorrow.

Are we to believe that Brian Brohm would be a worse option, if Fitzy gets knocked half way to Albany by a blitzing Pats' OLB that Green or Bell forgets to block, then Trent freakin' Edwards??

How is Brohm supposed to feel right about now? Edwards looks about as bad as any QB has looked over two games, in what, the history of the NFL, the coach yanks him, and still Brohm remains number 3 behind that stiff??

Maybe Chan will succeed, maybe he is a mistake, time will tell.

With regard to Brohm, has anyone considered that perhaps he's not bad at all, just needs more time to develop and studying a different offense each week is one way to get it? Some quarterbacks come into the league and are great right away. Others need 4-6 years to develop. How long did Steve Young, or Aaron Rodgers for that matter, sit on the bench before they started and became stars? I know this isn't a popular view here - I personally feel that if Edwards had been brought along more slowly with a consistent system he would have had a better shot at success.

and didn't 'light it up' when he was thrown into the starting role for one game in Buffalo after being with the team less than a month

For accuracy sake he was actually on the Bills for over a month, a month and 8 days to be exact.

BrBohm was signed off the Packers practice squad by the Buffalo Bills on November 19, 2009 after the Bills waived Gibran Hamdan. He made his first NFL start on December 27, 2009 vs. the Atlanta Falcons." -from Wikipedia

For accuracy sake he was actually on the Bills for over a month, a month and 8 days to be exact.

BrBohm was signed off the Packers practice squad by the Buffalo Bills on November 19, 2009 after the Bills waived Gibran Hamdan. He made his first NFL start on December 27, 2009 vs. the Atlanta Falcons." -from Wikipedia

Damn! I meant to type 'after being with the team less than one month and nine days...'

(Thanks for the correction B-) )

OH thats right, hes on the practice squad so we could just go out there and snag him (wish we would)

Stranger things have happened, my friend...

Graham Harrell Now Packers' Third String QB: Who Is He, and What Does This Mean?

Keep the faith! :thumbsup:

post-2970-023300500 1285146908_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

who says Brohm is bad? the same people who declared Trent the hands down winner based on early spring practices... only to change their minds, admitting they were WRONG, after just 2 games.

if they were wrong about one thing they could be wrong about another. just as college is a different game from pros, practice is a different thing from games.

Maybe Chan will succeed, maybe he is a mistake, time will tell.

With regard to Brohm, has anyone considered that perhaps he's not bad at all, just needs more time to develop and studying a different offense each week is one way to get it? Some quarterbacks come into the league and are great right away. Others need 4-6 years to develop. How long did Steve Young, or Aaron Rodgers for that matter, sit on the bench before they started and became stars? I know this isn't a popular view here - I personally feel that if Edwards had been brought along more slowly with a consistent system he would have had a better shot at success.

Some of us feel this way. But then there are others, like Albany, who just hate the man and are absolute talent evaluators and know without a shadow of a doubt that he will never amount to anything. I'm happier with Fitz than Trent, but I'd really like to see Brohm get his chance so we can find out one or another if albany is right or wrong.

Brian Brohm in 2 pre season games this year and one regular season last year has been able to lead the offense to a whopping 6 points. He had 1st and goal on the 5 and threw 3 straight incompletions. He had TO wide open in the EZ against Atlanta and underthrew him so bad the DB who was beat bad on the play was able to come back for it and make a pick. He also overthrew a guy for a sure TD in the 2nd pre season game. This is why Brohm is where he is. Great between the 20s, but when it's crunch time, he blows it.

Yep. I remember reading an offseason article (here it is -- http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article105090.ece ) in which Gailey says of Brohm that he has all the tools you need for a QB except for accuracy. Ha! Well, good luck with that, Brian.

That said, Brohm supporters don't need to whine about him not starting right now because he will probably get his chance later in the season. If the Bills have 2 wins and 10 losses, Brohm will start unless he is embarrassingly awful in practice and the coaches have no confidence that he can be an NFL QB. Either way the fans get to "find out" about Brohm.

Some of us feel this way. But then there are others, like Albany, who just hate the man and are absolute talent evaluators and know without a shadow of a doubt that he will never amount to anything. I'm happier with Fitz than Trent, but I'd really like to see Brohm get his chance so we can find out one or another if albany is right or wrong.

I don't hate Brohm at all. Just because I don't think he's an NFL QB doesn't mean I hate him. I also don't hate any of Brohm's fans. I just think they are dead wrong in their enthusiasm over him. So far they've been wrong that he'd start opening day, that Fitzpatrick would get cut, that Brohm would be #2, that we didn't acquire a QB because in the offseason because we wanted to see what we had in Brohm this season. Pretty soon, Brohm will put the final nail in his NFL QB coffin and there won't be any more wrong predictions left for Brohm's fans.

It's not me who has evaluated Brohm's talent. It's the great NFL minds like Polian, Newsome, Pioli et al who all passed on Brohm when he it the waiver wire in September 2009. All NFL teams would love to get a high profile guy for free, polish him up & either have a solid backup or someone who they could subsequently package for some draft choices. All the great NFL talent evaluators, as well as the bad ones passed on that chance as Brohm sailed through waivers. Do you know that in the post merger NFL not one QB drafted as high as Brohm has ever made it on another team as a reliable starter after being waived on his rookie contract? Not one. History as well as the lack of interest in Brohm weighs heavily in the favor of Brohm never being anything other than a backup at best & a guy who is out of the league pretty soon at worst.

Every year there are guys who get cut without getting much of a chance to show what they've got. Usually the NFL is right on them. Levi Brown hasn't even received a practice squad invite. The only guys who make it are low profile late round free agents who actually do fall under the radar. That doesn't happen with high profile QBs. The idea you have to have a guy play in a real game to evaluate him and that he just needs more time is ridiculous. Three separate coaching staffs have all relegated Brohm to 3rd string. There's a reason why he hasn't risen higher on any depth charts-his game doesn't translate from college to the NFL-just like GB's current PS guy, Graham Harrell who put up some gaudy numbers in college and didn't even get drafted and keeps drifting from team to team.

I'd love for you Brohm fans to be right and for the Bills to have solid quarterbacking, but the odds are really against it. You're looking for Brohm to do something nobody before him has ever done. Not impossible, but highly improbable.

People need to keep in mind there is a fundamental difference in the role of the #2 and #3 QB both during the practice week and on Sunday. During the week, the #3 takes the reps with the scout team. The #2 takes a few reps with the "regular" offense, probably with quite a few backups sprinkled in. On Sunday, the #3 is wearing a headset, holding a clipboard, and learning, as he is keeping some sort of log of the offensive plays being run.

As such, it makes perfect sense for now to keep Brohm at #3.