NFL draws line on Pinto Ken's bowling ball shots

Meathead

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—No longer feeling welcome in the Buffalo Bills’ main parking lot, a tailgating institution is on the move as the NFL draws a line between what’s considered family friendly and R-rated entertainment.

After 21 years of tailgating in the same lot outside Ralph Wilson Stadium, Ken Johnson plans to take his party across the street starting with the next home game in two weeks.

And with him, Johnson’s bringing along his wildly colorful and popular traditions: from the red 1980 Pinto on which he grills meat on the hood to the pizza oven made out of a filing cabinet to a chicken wing-cooking mailbox and, yes, even the long-established ceremony of drinking shots of Polish cherry liqueur out of the thumbhole of a bowling ball.

“It disappoints me that I have to move away from a lot where I’ve been for about 20 years, but I saw it coming a long time ago,” said Johnson, who’s tailgate has attracted international recognition as he’s been featured in newspapers, on The Food Network and even profiled in a German magazine. “I have known for a long time that they want to sanitize Lot 1 and turn it into a family lot.”

“In my case, I do push the limits, so I can’t scream too loudly,” Johnson said. “But you wonder how many people go to games because of characters like me. I think I add to the experience.”

If that experience includes bowling ball shots, then Johnson’s not welcome. When it comes to protecting its fan base in a tough economy, the NFL is taking a hard line on what it considers unacceptable behavior, said Jeffrey Miller, NFL director of strategic security programs.

“Irregardless of the fact that he may have been doing this over the course of a number of years, it doesn’t make it right,” Miller said. “People taking shots out of a bowling ball actually has the effect of repelling families.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-tailgatingconcerns

irregardless of the fact that irregardless is not a word, my mom and dad did bowling ball shots together with me. just because we are all drunks doesnt mean we are any less of a family

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody remember the season when after beating the fish they were dropping the ball onto a dead fish after the game?

i tried to tell them that somebody was going to get sick but they were so bombed out of their minds nobody cared. lmao but true. i was drunk too but still politely declined my post game shot

anybody remember the season when after beating the fish they were dropping the ball onto a dead fish after the game?

i tried to tell them that somebody was going to get sick but they were so bombed out of their minds nobody cared. lmao but true. i was drunk too but still politely declined my post game shot

They were doing that before the Fish game in 97...the first time I met Kenny...I passed on the bowling ball that day

But other since then, I've done a shot almost every game (can only think of a handful of times I missed my shot) and have done the 1st shot in Lot 1 each year...gonna be something missing next game with no Pinto in Lot 1 (though we're moving as well) and no bowling ball shots

Soooo..... Is there NOTHING we can do on this? Mass email the NFL and the Bills?

I am really disappointed this is happenening. I have been coming down for every game for a relatively short time (6 years), but I feel proud of traditions like Kenny's Pinto tailgate party and I hate to see it go away to another lot. I know the vast majority of people I have introduced to Bills tailgaiting would gladly write a letter if there was a coordinated campaign......

I feel cheated now - I bought a parking pass for Lot 1 fully expecting this to be part of the game day experience. I am surprised the Bills didn't stand up to the NFL and told them they had the situation monitored and UNDER CONTROL FOR 20 YEARS.

I doubt they can associate a single arrest or concrete problem associated with Kenny's bowling ball. :angry:

Edited by cossack

Soooo..... Is there NOTHING we can do on this? Mass email the NFL and the Bills?

I am really disapointed this is happenening. I have been coming down for every game for a relatively short time (6 years), but I feel proud of traditions like Kenny's Pinto tailgate party and I hate to see it go away to another lot. I know the vast majority of people I have introduced to Bills tailgaiting would gladly write a letter if there was a coordinated campaign......

I feel cheated now - I bought a parking pass for Lot 1 fully expecting this to be part of the game day experience. I am surprised the Bills didn't stand up to the NFL and told them they had the situation monitored and UNDER CONTROL FOR 20 YEARS

I doubt they can associate a single arrest or concrete problem associated with Kenny's bowling ball. :angry:

quite honestly, I'd seek a refund on that parking pass if I were you....doubtful you'd get it but enough people requesting them might get them to do away with the slotting BS and try to get Kenny to stay in Lot 1...he was going to move out of the Lot even if this hadn't happened because they want to slot the parking...instead of going to whatever spots you want, or have been parking in for 15 years or whatever, they're going to park you according to what time you get there...which will break up tailgate parties when you consider so many parties in the lots are made up of people from all over...they're planning it later this season in Lot 1 and a few other lots and planning to implement it in every Bills lot next season

I'll say it again. I liked the NFL much more before it was such a business. I understand what they want to do in terms of cleaning up the image of drinking to excess and being a family environment etc etc...Is there no Grandfather clause!? (Just kidding). Seriously though, a 20 year old staple of Bills tailgating, which has been internationally recognized and showcased on TV...cast aside...seems like a poor choice for the fans....

irregardless of the fact that irregardless is not a word

Oh, but you are wrong. We have already had this discussion on these forums, since I also use the word irregardless from time to time in my vocabulary, and had to have this same discussion with them.

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

"Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead."

I'm disgusted by this. The NFL has become too sanitary. By the time the Lions game rolls around, I hope the Pinto party has a new official home. Somewhere where I can wander over from Lot 3 and take my first shot from the legendary bowling ball. I'm 22 now...I wanted to last year, but shots weren't really in the cards for me when I came to the Browns game last year...considering I had been out til 4 AM for my friend's 21st the night before.