Question for former Football Players (any level)

Question for former football players at any level here:

Does it take time to get physically "into" the game?

I've never played football (being a lifelong fan, and a girl). The analogy on my mind, cycling - on the first steep hill I think "ohgawdI'mgonnadie!" then somehow I adjust and keep going hill after hill and I can keep it up for hours, it's still the same effort, seems easier somehow though. Sometimes I even get stronger.

Why I'm wondering, if some phenomenon like this happens in football, does "sharing the load" between running backs mean every time there's a switch the player has to get "into" the game and accustomed to the hits? Or is it no big deal?

The analogy on my mind, cycling - on the first steep hill I think "ohgawdI'mgonnadie!" then somehow I adjust and keep going hill after hill and I can keep it up for hours, it's still the same effort, seems easier somehow though. Sometimes I even get stronger.

Why I'm wondering, if some phenomenon like this happens in football, does "sharing the load" between running backs mean every time there's a switch the player has to get "into" the game and accustomed to the hits? Or is it no big deal?

I'd say it's exactly like that. You spend most of the first few plays trying to find your wind and then once you have a series under your belt, the hard part's over and you feel like you can play forever. And yeah, I think you do get stronger over the course of a game, unless your unit is on the field the whole time and then you can feel your legs going later in the 4th qrtr.

That's a good question. I've never been off the field long enough to feel like I'm starting over when I went back out, but if a guy didn't play for 3-4 series in a row, yeah I wonder if that might indeed be an issue.

I used to play QB in high school and it was tough to come in off the bench. I only did it a few times in actual passing situations but those were the ones i struggled most.... seeing a defense and the speed of the game from sidelines is different than being on the field. Practice reps just arent the same

My coach whenever possible would run the ball a few plays so i could adjust to the speed of the game

I returned kicks, played CB & WR. I loved when we would receive to start the game, get hit on the very first play, it really got the blood flowing. You always hear players say they need that first hit.... its very very true.

I'd have to agree that getting in that first hit or taking that first hit is a good way getting into the game. I'll always enjoyed if a running play or passing play called me into action as a CB in the first few plays of the game. It builds some excitement and confidence in you, and for me, involvement early on got me into the game and took out those natural jitters most people have before a game.

I returned kicks, played CB & WR. I loved when we would receive to start the game, get hit on the very first play, it really got the blood flowing. You always hear players say they need that first hit.... its very very true.

I've never played football (being a lifelong fan, and a girl). The analogy on my mind, cycling - on the first steep hill I think "ohgawdI'mgonnadie!" then somehow I adjust and keep going hill after hill and I can keep it up for hours, it's still the same effort, seems easier somehow though. Sometimes I even get stronger.

I was a starting tight end, but only played through high school. Baseball was my passion and that is what I played in college. I have to say that before every football game, we were so pumped up and could not wait to get out there, that getting "into" the game was never a probelm. It was 100% go from the opening kick-off. However, there were times when I know some guys on our team just packed it in and stopped playing. Ususally, if we were getting beat late (usually the linemen), but never at the begining if I remember correctly.

Even today, I still hear some songs that we would play during our games and the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I am ready to go. I have not played an organized game since 1997, but you are right, that is very true.

I agree. Once you get that first hit- all nervousness is gone and it is game on

I was a running back that carried the ball as part of a "committee" and I've also been in situations where not only did I play tailback the whole game, but I played defense and special teams too. I thought them making me play "ironman" football was ridiculous. You simply can't play full speed for a whole game like that. I would find myself lagging on the backside of defensive plays.

However, I thought running back by committee was wonderful. All of that having to get in rhythm stuff is BS. You know what to do and you go do it full speed ahead, and that's that. You will however start to think that you are better than you are when you come in fresh against a tired defense and start breaking tackles left and right. You also don't have as many bruises and the like the next morning. So your body is better preserved throughout the season. These guys in the NFL that complain about sharing carries are probably looking at their statistics for that next contract. But from a football sense I think its great when you can split carries.

In HS or lower levels players will definately need that first hit or a few snaps to get in to a game. The better players can hit that switch that on game day they're ready, it comes a lot with the mental state of the player. Generally, I would go home from school and return to the stadium 2 or 3 hours before the game. I would walk around the entire thing, spend my time walking the field, just enjoying my zone. By game time I knew what was coming and was ready for the game. Many offensive players liked the kick off team to get the hit in and adjust, and vice versa with defense.

By college many of these players are able to flip that switch. They may have bad days or days when they just can't transition in to game time. I think this is less to do with experience than it is just being in a funk.

As far as using a committee system it depends a lot on the player. I do not think that it takes that much out of a player. Think about it, many of these players were all stars on their HS team which means they never left the field. In college they became offensive or defensive players and would have to take time off when they change sides. I think it is over hyped to assume that it matters.

I don't play football, but I have played ice hockey for a number of years at a variety of levels (and still play).

As a goalie, the first extended period of play in my zone is always torture. It feels like it takes forever for the D to clear the puck, or for me to cover it.

You also over-anticipate the first shot on net...that first save is huge in any game.

As the game goes on, I get into the game and forget about time...everything sort of flows.

I was a running back that carried the ball as part of a "committee" and I've also been in situations where not only did I play tailback the whole game, but I played defense and special teams too. I thought them making me play "ironman" football was ridiculous. You simply can't play full speed for a whole game like that. I would find myself lagging on the backside of defensive plays.

However, I thought running back by committee was wonderful. All of that having to get in rhythm stuff is BS. You know what to do and you go do it full speed ahead, and that's that. You will however start to think that you are better than you are when you come in fresh against a tired defense and start breaking tackles left and right. You also don't have as many bruises and the like the next morning. So your body is better preserved throughout the season. These guys in the NFL that complain about sharing carries are probably looking at their statistics for that next contract. But from a football sense I think its great when you can split carries.

Thanks everyone for the different responses. This was interesting.

I played offensive line, defensive line, and tight end in high school and in the air force (squadron teams). I never really had an issue with "into it" as i was always pretty revved up. Revved up is not to say I was very good or anything though. I used to put a lot into giving the first hit whatever position I played. I thought of it as a statement that set the tone. My son (a hockey player who played footbal as well) used to spit on the hand of the defensive lineman who was across from him. He drew lots of penalties when the d-lineman reacted. I wish I had thought of that.