Trent Edwards

wardigital

People seem to think that whatever Trent Edwards had, he lost either after being concussed against Arizona or in his meltdown the same season against Cleveland. I am bored, so I decided to break down some averages to see if there is anything to either thought.

Comparing Before and After Arizona (*** Neither will include the AZ game)

Completion Percentage Before: 58.78%

Completion Percentage After: : 62.99%

Attempts Before: 27.7

Attempts After: 26.1

TD Passes Per Game Before: 0.85

TD Passes Per Game After: 0.77

INTs Per Game Before: 0.71

INTs Per Per Game After: 0.83

Yards Per Pass Before: 6.63

Yards Per Pass After: 6.25

Comparing Before and After Cleveland (*** All games included. In order to be the QB of record for a game, a QB must have the most attempts for his team, as well as at least 14 attempts. There are three games in Edwards career in which this is not the case. I have included these anyway, for further disclosure. The Cleveland game will be included in the "before" under the assumption that he hadn't been impacted yet by the game, because he hadn't played it.)

Completion Percentage Before: 62.64%

Completion Percentage After: : 61.85%

Attempts Before: 27.0

Attempts After: 24.6

TD Passes Per Game Before: 0.75

INTs Per Game Before: 0.90

INTs Per Per Game After: 0.54

Yards Per Pass Before: 6.67

Yards Per Pass After: 6.01

--

So, can anything be reasonably deduced from these numbers? Well, firstly, Trent Edwards was never a particularly good Quarterback. I think some of us (myself included) fell into the trap that he was the answer because he was A) Winning games early in his career B) Not turning the ball over or taking sacks like Losman was towards the end of his time in Buffalo.

Now, it doesn't look like Trent became more tentative of "Captain Checkdown" after Arizona. In fact, he had a tremendous game against a tough San Diego team after being concussed by Arizona, and he was taking chances in games all the way up to the Cleveland Browns Monday Night game.

But it appears as though something happened at the Ralph that night against Cleveland. Edwards Attempts and Yards are both down slightly, and here's a thing -- he has thrown Interceptions at almost half the rate! So? Well, when you're completion percentage, attempts and yards per pass all drop and you're throwing less picks, it doesn't mean you've suddenly become a better quarterback, because your production, not just your negatives, are decreasing. What it means perhaps (only perhaps), is that after that Cleveland game, Trent Edwards stopped taking chances, maybe all together.

I was a Trent Edwards fan. I was a total believer that he looked like an NFL Quarterback in a way that Losman and other QBs simply did not. But now I've got to say, not only has Trent sucked after Cleveland, he sort of sucked before -- things have just gotten demonstrably worse since.

Thoughts?

People seem to think that whatever Trent Edwards had, he lost either after being concussed against Arizona or in his meltdown the same season against Cleveland. I am bored, so I decided to break down some averages to see if there is anything to either thought.

Comparing Before and After Cleveland (*** All games included. In order to be the QB of record for a game, a QB must have the most attempts for his team, as well as at least 14 attempts. There are three games in Edwards career in which this is not the case. I have included these anyway, for further disclosure. The Cleveland game will be included in the "before" under the assumption that he hadn't been impacted yet by the game, because he hadn't played it.)

--

So, can anything be reasonably deduced from these numbers? Well, firstly, Trent Edwards was never a particularly good Quarterback. I think some of us (myself included) fell into the trap that he was the answer because he was A) Winning games early in his career B) Not turning the ball over or taking sacks like Losman was towards the end of his time in Buffalo.

Now, it doesn't look like Trent became more tentative of "Captain Checkdown" after Arizona. In fact, he had a tremendous game against a tough San Diego team after being concussed by Arizona, and he was taking chances in games all the way up to the Cleveland Browns Monday Night game.

But it appears as though something happened at the Ralph that night against Cleveland. Edwards Attempts and Yards are both down slightly, and here's a thing -- he has thrown Interceptions at almost half the rate! So? Well, when you're completion percentage, attempts and yards per pass all drop and you're throwing less picks, it doesn't mean you've suddenly become a better quarterback, because your production, not just your negatives, are decreasing. What it means perhaps (only perhaps), is that after that Cleveland game, Trent Edwards stopped taking chances, maybe all together.

I was a Trent Edwards fan. I was a total believer that he looked like an NFL Quarterback in a way that Losman and other QBs simply did not. But now I've got to say, not only has Trent sucked after Cleveland, he sort of sucked before -- things have just gotten demonstrably worse since.

Thoughts?

u didnt need all that work to prove he sucks. i could have told you that!! HOWEVER IT IS APPRECIATED.

i kinda like fitz cuz he finds a way to win.

will give brohm a chance too.

ps. not giving up on trent just yet. hopefully this was his ONE and only SUCKY game of the year.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I never thought Trent was good...he was decent at times but never what i consider a good NFL QB. Trent has always seem to fallen apart when the pressure is on (except against the raider) and he either shows up or doesnt and more often doesnt.

He hasnt had a 300 yard game in his career, he doesnt beat good teams and plays poorly against worse teams (the Browns) I just want someone to step up and win a game for us. Trent IMO has been given enough chances and just hasnt taken his chance to become a starter.... time to cut loose IMO

I am one of those who thought that Edwards was shellshocked by the Cleveland game, not the Arizona game. And the numbers you provided do seem to point to exactly what I saw. I will always wonder if things could've gone differently if Jauron had just given him the chance to go out and win that game at the end instead of his asinine run it into the line 3 times and kick a 47 yard field goal into the wind strategy. Edwards had just completed a nice 20 yard pass to Royal, and Jauron put on the brakes. Did that send the signal to Edwards that he should never risk another bad play again?

--

Thoughts?

first great work

second sometimes you have to throw the ball into tight spots and have a wr make a play. He sems to want to throw to only wide open recievers . Plus the happy feat he has doens't help

I am one of those who thought that Edwards was shellshocked by the Cleveland game, not the Arizona game. And the numbers you provided do seem to point to exactly what I saw. I will always wonder if things could've gone differently if Jauron had just given him the chance to go out and win that game at the end instead of his asinine run it into the line 3 times and kick a 47 yard field goal into the wind strategy. Edwards had just completed a nice 20 yard pass to Royal, and Jauron put on the brakes. Did that send the signal to Edwards that he should never risk another bad play again?

seems like he has jauron stuck in his head saying " don't turn it over don't make a mistake , check it down check it down. "

i kinda like fitz cuz he finds a way to win.

So do I. I can't help but think that if Fitz played Sunday he may well have been able to find a way to win. He's also much more mobile and doesn't panic when the rush comes in. See that TD pass in the 2nd preseason game. Rolled out to buy time and hit David Nelson in the EZ. Trent sees the heat coming and runs for his life. Finding open receivers is secondary.

I did hear a few Fitz chants at the game Sunday btw.

I'm sorry but Trent is just not very good on Sundays or Monday Nights. The sooner Coach Gailey realizes it the better. Didn't he watch any game film from the last 2 seasons?

You have reminded me of one of the great assinine moments of the Jauron era.

Good work hunting down those stats!! I will gladly admit that I was all over the Trent Edwards bandwagon a few years ago. Sadly, the numbers just do not lie. He doesn't take chances, certainly not enough to win against a good team. I hoped that a new coach with a play to win attitude could fix that. With only one game in this season I am still waiting to see. If Trent does more of the same I don't see Chan letting him stay in forever. Like I have said before, this roster is going to be bleeding people out the next few years and I have a feeling Edwards is going to end up one of them before too long. :unsure:

First, nice work. I did a similar thread with Edwards stats earlier this week, but not as detailed. A couple thoughts....

I definitely have noticed his lack of INT's over the past several games and due mostly in part to the lack of taking any chances. Now that conservative play almost failed miserably against Miami since two high percentage-low risk passes were flat out dropped by Miami for what surely would have been TD's. Trent got so lucky there. He's playing so mind-numbingly conservative that he cannot function, let alone see things develop or anticipate downfield.

Did anyone notice FLacco the other night vs. the Jets? He was totally erratic early but kept taking shots down field and ultimately hit a few big ones. Reminded me of Fitz. On one play the Jets blitzed and the defender was inches from burying his helmet into Flacco's midsection. Just as the hit arrived, Flacco released the ball downfield to Housh, who was well coverered but he saw the ball, stopped and outleaped the defender who was looking the other way initially and wasn't as prepared to catch it. It was a big play for the Ravens. First, if it's Trent...he doesn't even get that ball out..he gets destroyed. Second, if he manages to get the ball out he sails way downfield and it results in an overthrow. He never would have given our guy a chance to go up and get it...or trust our WR. He's simply awful under duress.

Count me in as feeling like Fitzpatrick would have made enough plays to win last week. Afterall, he did beat the fish last November 31-14 with some big plays. Clearly he is the smarter QB who has better escapability and awareness downfield.

Edited by zow2

Thoughts?

You echo my present thoughts. Trent has had a lot of opportunities. I think we have to face the fact that he is just not the guy.

--

Thoughts?

Interesting Break down. I enjoy this type of post SOOOOOO much better than arbitrary musings. I have read the league average YPA is 6.7 so the difference between 6 and 6.67 is fairly significant. From what I have read Peyton's career numbers are around 7.7 for perspective and Montana was 7.5. Brady is 7.2 and Kelly was 7.4.

It's a nice stat as it summarizes effectivness. A QB could have a good YPC but a horrid Completion % so this encompasses both.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I never thought Trent was good...he was decent at times but never what i consider a good NFL QB. Trent has always seem to fallen apart when the pressure is on (except against the raider) and he either shows up or doesnt and more often doesnt.

He hasnt had a 300 yard game in his career, he doesnt beat good teams and plays poorly against worse teams (the Browns) I just want someone to step up and win a game for us. Trent IMO has been given enough chances and just hasnt taken his chance to become a starter.... time to cut loose IMO

I have to disagree. He did look good, very good in those first 6 weeks of 2008, Arizona the exception because he got knocked out early (and Arizona was good that year-Should have won The Superbowl) At any rate, he had some every good early games where he had a couple of clutch late game comeback wins that involved threading the needle in the endzone in games vs. Oakland and St Louis. He went on to defeat a tough San Diego team, as well as a great performance at Kansas City, and the biggest ~ a tough come from behind win against a NFC West leading team in Denver, at Denver where we had not won a game in a very very long time. Those were the types of wins the instill confidence in a player and us as fans, and I though we had our next up and coming guy. What Jauron and company did to this kid is what has turned him into moosh. I blame the coaching staff and management for ruining this guy. Once a QB's confidence is destroyed, thats it for them. Is he done? Im not 100% convinced yet, but after this past weekends game, Im pretty damn sure he is...Give him 4 games this season, and see what he can do.....