Bills Report Card

Nope. Six Fs out of 12 grades means you are going with emotion and not football evaluation, so I won't respond to the specifics.

Unless you have some Spinal-Tap-Like "G" rating below F and this one goes to eleven, I think you would need to throw in some more D- or higher to be taken seriously.

I share your disappointment with the game, know it will be a tough season. I also agree with some of your general sentiments about some of the performances. But if you want to talk about actual grades (which you do, since you started a community thread), you have to try to come up with some that are more reasonable assessments.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused, ur qb scores the only offensive touchdown but gets an F. Granted his play wasnt great, but u give the running backs a d.. and they were ghosts on the field. U even allude to how bad they were... they didnt rush for over 50 combined yards... if that isnt failure idk what is

I really could careless how much we lost by. INHO, it felt like a 20 point loss. I never really felt like we were going to win the game. IMHO, it felt like we played not to win but not to lose by a lot.

I am ok with the breakdown in grades. I see nothing wrong with it.

No, I guess you would not

i cant believe that I talked myself into buying Sunday Ticket. I wish I could smack Edwards once for every extra hour that I have to work to pay for it. I feel like I been in in a abusive relationship for 30 years with this team I swear.

Beer is the prescription my friend, lots of beer..! :beer:

See how this little guy on here just keep them coming..? He's been a Bills fan for over 30 years..! He knows the drill..!

Edited by mikef292004

Perhaps you should post some substantial and insightful positional grades, Union2008. It has generated some debate, so I guess the thread served its purpose. Nobody else has chimed in with anything more complete or insightful, though. Some people just like to complain when things don't appeal to them.

Grades by position for the season opening loss to Miami:

Quarterbacks

Trent made some good throws during the no-huddle scoring drive. Outside of that, his play was a joke. All the things we disliked about Captain Checkdown returned, with the final seconds of the game serving as a perfect example of everything that is wrong with Edwards. Bench him now, the team will never be good with this guy at the helm.

Grade: F

Running Backs

Jackson and Lynch did nothing, and Spiller did less than nothing in his disappointing debut. The fact that few running plays were called didn't help, but even still no one in this group could break one and make a play all game. There is some talent in this group, but they didn't show it today.

Grade: D

Offensive Line

Terrible. One of the worst lines in the NFL. The tackle play was so horrific it's astounding that a team could even attempt to enter an NFL season with this kind of talent. I guess that's what happens when you go years on end without spending a high draft pick on a tackle, and let the one diamond in the rough you found go to another team.

Wide Receivers

No big plays, very little production. Hard to gauge since Trent refused to throw the ball most of the time. When Roscoe ran uncovered straight into the end zone, he at least caught the ball, so that's good I suppose.

Tight Ends

Did any tight ends even play in this game?

Cornerbacks

Surprisingly good play all the way around. Florence played like a man with something to prove, and even McKelvin (who I usually pick on) played very well. Kept Marshall in check throughout. Clearly the best unit on the field today for the Bills.

Grade: A

Safeties

No big plays really, and had to clean up the running game mess left by the linebackers on more than one occassion. Was hoping Byrd would get his name mentioned a single time. Not much to love or hate either way.

Grade: C

Linebackers

I knew they would be bad, but they are even worse than I could have imagined. Putting lineman like Kelsay and Ellis in space is painfully awkward to watch. No talent whatsoever. Big shocker that Poz was hurt.

Defensive Line

No one was a disruptive force, but no one was a clear and obvious liability. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no big plays, just a bunch of weak tackles downfield.

Special Teams

Moorman didn't punt particularly well, Roscoe had one decent return, no huge errors.

Coaching

Disastrous debut for Chan. Offense looked just as bad as ever, just using some different formations. Called twice as many passing plays as running plays, even though its obvious the RBs are much better than the QB.

Overall

The Bills certainly have the look and feel of one of the worst teams in the NFL. I'm sure the organization will stubbornly stick with Edwards and continue losing in embarassing fashion. Not much good going on with this team. They proved the experts right by showing just how bad they really are.

Allow me to disagree:

Coaching: D. Gailey, for all the play-calling problems, showed some balls going for a long FG at the end of the half, and playing to win (albiet stupidly) at the end of the game. AND they actually used the receivers in the "passing" game. Admittedly, I'm giving him a D in comparison to Jauron...but I stand by it.

Special teams: B. Don't disagree with your assessment of Moorman or Parrish...but Lindell had a decent game (missed a 60+ yarder, but who can blame him? There's a reason teams never try FGs that long.) And the coverage units were pretty solid.

it should have been a blow out if miami D INT trent passes for TD

there is nothing more that i hate than if's... IF IF IF. Well the fact is they weren't interceptions. They aren't on the stat line, they didn't effect the game. A person could "IF" this game to death. Hey i'll give you some ifs. "IF" kelsay would have had better coverage on some of those pass plays, maybe the dolphins don'ts score. What "IF" the bills stopped the dolphins 3 times at the goal line? What "IF" brandon marshall would have caught that deep pass? What "IF" leodis intercepts one of those knock downs? Get my point? Lets keep things in the realm of what ACTUALLY happened.

Edited by Wayne333

there is nothing more that i hate than if's... IF IF IF. Well the fact is they weren't interceptions. They aren't on the stat line, they didn't effect the game. A person could "IF" this game to death. Hey i'll give you some ifs. "IF" kelsay would have had better coverage on some of those pass plays, maybe the dolphins don'ts score. What "IF" they bills stopped the dolphins 3 times at the goal line? What "IF" brandon marshall would have caught that deep pass? What "IF" leodis intercepts one of those knock downs? Get my point? Lets keep things in the realm of what ACTUALLY happened.

AMEN brother and from a newbee to. :thumbsup:

Grades by position for the season opening loss to Miami:

Quarterbacks

Trent made some good throws during the no-huddle scoring drive. Outside of that, his play was a joke. All the things we disliked about Captain Checkdown returned, with the final seconds of the game serving as a perfect example of everything that is wrong with Edwards. Bench him now, the team will never be good with this guy at the helm.

Running Backs

Jackson and Lynch did nothing, and Spiller did less than nothing in his disappointing debut. The fact that few running plays were called didn't help, but even still no one in this group could break one and make a play all game. There is some talent in this group, but they didn't show it today.

Offensive Line

Terrible. One of the worst lines in the NFL. The tackle play was so horrific it's astounding that a team could even attempt to enter an NFL season with this kind of talent. I guess that's what happens when you go years on end without spending a high draft pick on a tackle, and let the one diamond in the rough you found go to another team.

Wide Receivers

No big plays, very little production. Hard to gauge since Trent refused to throw the ball most of the time. When Roscoe ran uncovered straight into the end zone, he at least caught the ball, so that's good I suppose.

Tight Ends

Did any tight ends even play in this game?

Cornerbacks

Surprisingly good play all the way around. Florence played like a man with something to prove, and even McKelvin (who I usually pick on) played very well. Kept Marshall in check throughout. Clearly the best unit on the field today for the Bills.

Grade: A

Safeties

No big plays really, and had to clean up the running game mess left by the linebackers on more than one occassion. Was hoping Byrd would get his name mentioned a single time. Not much to love or hate either way.

Linebackers

I knew they would be bad, but they are even worse than I could have imagined. Putting lineman like Kelsay and Ellis in space is painfully awkward to watch. No talent whatsoever. Big shocker that Poz was hurt.

Defensive Line

No one was a disruptive force, but no one was a clear and obvious liability. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no big plays, just a bunch of weak tackles downfield.

Special Teams

Moorman didn't punt particularly well, Roscoe had one decent return, no huge errors.

Coaching

Disastrous debut for Chan. Offense looked just as bad as ever, just using some different formations. Called twice as many passing plays as running plays, even though its obvious the RBs are much better than the QB.

Overall

The Bills certainly have the look and feel of one of the worst teams in the NFL. I'm sure the organization will stubbornly stick with Edwards and continue losing in embarassing fashion. Not much good going on with this team. They proved the experts right by showing just how bad they really are.

The Team absolutely sucks and cannot compete. We'll be lucky to win 3 games this season. Maybe we can draft a RB next year and fix things.

I really could careless how much we lost by. INHO, it felt like a 20 point loss. I never really felt like we were going to win the game. IMHO, it felt like we played not to win but not to lose by a lot.

I am ok with the breakdown in grades. I see nothing wrong with it.

It easily could have been a +20 point blowout loss if some dolphin defenders could actually hold on to the balls thrown right to them

The next 2 games will be +20 point blow out losses or worse, if Edwards and that O line plays like they did against the Dolphins at GB and NE it could be duel 40+ blow out losses

I agree with most of the grades this time around, with the exception of the defense which kept the game close.

0-4 after Miami-GB-Pats-Jets...I wonder if Gailey will still have a job

No you're not. You're a fan who's passing out grades based on emotion. I didn't see any other grades by writers as low as yours. So that means since your grades are "realistic, they must all be dumb and you're the smart one. As was stated, the defense played well toi give the linebackers nd "F" is plain stupid. Special teams was better thna a "C". The one good drive TE had is worth more than an overall "F" and the O-line helped out there too so again worth better than an "F".

I'm not over the top, I'm just being fair and realistic. The cornerbacks played a great game and I have them an "A" rating.

I'm not over the top, I'm just being fair and realistic. The cornerbacks played a great game and I have them an "A" rating.

Wake up! Fair and realistic? You have made a whopping 118 posts, and 117 posts have included your hate for Trent Edwards. I am glad we have Ryan Montanapatrick and Brian Unitasbrohm on the bench.

It easily could have been a +20 point blowout loss if some dolphin defenders could actually hold on to the balls thrown right to them

The next 2 games will be +20 point blow out losses or worse, if Edwards and that O line plays like they did against the Dolphins at GB and NE it could be duel 40+ blow out losses

I agree with most of the grades this time around, with the exception of the defense which kept the game close.

0-4 after Miami-GB-Pats-Jets...I wonder if Gailey will still have a job

As usual I concur, Gailey's job is safe for now. Too soon to chop his head off after one poor game. I wasn't impressed with the hire and then during preseason I started to believe this guy was something special. After yesterday, my hopes diminished quickly. It was silly of me to believe all the hype on here. My common sense seemed to go right out the window. Well, it was fun to have that glimmer of hope even if it were for about one quarter.

Not sure what the heck Gailey was thinking and not sure he can even come close to rectifying the situation. It's not all his fault, but I expected a lot more from him. I guess the GT fans wouldn't be surprised.

It's gonna be a long season Rabbit.