Can somebody tell me who is going to rush the QB???

Amongst the Bills many glaring holes, the one that stands out the most to me is a pass rusher. Counting on the front the 3 to provide anything more than a push inside is a bit to optimistic.

So that leaves the OLB's, who are all transitioning from DE and have proven to be terrible pass rushers. Sure Maybin (Which is no excuse) is young but if Chris Ellis(0 sacks in 2 seasons) was a threat he would have played the last 2 years. Reggie Torbor.....is Reggie Torbor. So that leaves Chris Kelsay, who has to have pictures of the front office in a Caligula type situation, as the only other guy with an NFL sack.

I realize that the 3-4 is about coming from different angles and not just about bring pressure from the outside, but this will create 1 on1 situations with Kelsay/Ellis/Maybin on RB's and TE's and that is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not sure how a guy like Bobby Mccray, who was banged up most of last year, is not brought into to at least get a look!

This is going to be a very frustrating year because I truly think this offense is going to score but I just don't think that the Bills are going to stop the pass. It's not about secondary, it'll be about the rush. I just don't understand how this wasn't addressed at all during the offseason/draft/current FA period. :wallbash:

Nobody! They are all going to run the other way and all hope to intercept the ball.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the nose tackles. Dwan Edwards and Marcus Stroud are big boys too. Stroud often was double teamed as a defensive tackle. If Stroud is double teamed, one of our NTs get a sack. If the nose is doubled, the DEs get the sack. Sacks can come from a lot of different people. I expect to see the big guys on the line contributing on the sack front too.

The Bills and Jets defense is nothing alike.

Well, we know what the Jets D is like but NONE of us knows what the Bills D schemes are like. If you are assuming the Bills are going to do the same thing they did under Jauron then you are assuming with little evidence. We have yet to see ONE SINGLE PLAY from the Bills D in an actual, counts in the standings, game.

But go ahead and blather on, and assume the worst.

Where to start with this mess....

3-4 defensive ends are not pass rushers. Once in a while a Bruce Smith or Mario Williams comes along, but it's a short list.

Andra Davis is a run stopper, nothing more. he had 5 sacks once, followed by 3.5 as his personal bests.

http://www.nfl.com/players/andradavis/profile?id=DAV121395

The pass rush from the 3-4 is provided by the OLB's or a combination of secondary blitz packages.

The Bills D in 2010 is a carbon copy of the Steelers, with much less talent.

I would venture to guess Donte Whitner has more sacks than Andra Davis in 2010 playing the Polamalu role.

i'll stick with my original post. stroud is in the best shape of his life. he has been a nose tackle forever. now as an end, he should be able to break through.

they will still line up 4 or 5 rushers on a 3-4 defense from time to time. every 3-4 defense does this.

i didnt know about andra davis. so you got me there. maybin, moats, stroud, or reggie torbor should get the job done. kawika sure hasnt and kelsay cant either.

edit: And don't forget about Antonio Coleman. He has as good a chance as anyone to be our leading sacker…although I think Maybin will lead the team in sacks.

I don't see how Coleman gets activated on game day. Unless the Kawika injury has opened the door for him.

i'll stick with my original post. stroud is in the best shape of his life. he has been a nose tackle forever. now as an end, he should be able to break through.

they will still line up 4 or 5 rushers on a 3-4 defense from time to time. every 3-4 defense does this.

i didnt know about andra davis. so you got me there. maybin, moats, stroud, or reggie torbor should get the job done. kawika sure hasnt and kelsay cant either.

Stroud was a DT in a 4-3 scheme and not a nose tackle. And K. Mitchel absolutely can rush the passer. I've seen it. The thing is, the rush can come from a lot of different people. It' anybody's guess at this point.

Stroud was a DT in a 4-3 scheme and not a nose tackle. And K. Mitchel absolutely can rush the passer. I've seen it. The thing is, the rush can come from a lot of different people. It' anybody's guess at this point.

kawika is a good tackler. he hasnt really blown me away as a bill. he's had good plays though.

he was fun to watch with the giants.

kawika is a good tackler. he hasnt really blown me away as a bill. he's had good plays though.

he was fun to watch with the giants.

Mitchell seems to be a rather average LB, play in and play out. But he does have a knack of making big plays when it counts.

I think Chris Ellis is going to be the guy that really stands out in this new defense. His measurables are almost identical to Demarcus Ware's. 40 yard dash, height, and weight. The new coaching staff isn't stupid though and won't let on anything in regards to the D. I say he gets tons of snaps this weekend. I think some of the Bills' faithful has forgotten what competent coaching looks like. It has been a while. Rest assured, it has returned.

Bruuuuuuce!

Remember the days 15-20 years ago when the Bills had some talent?

This team has little.

But even Bruce took a season or two to get his act together. i remember him being a fat rookie with not a lot of purpose. But once he got his act together, WOW!

Amongst the Bills many glaring holes, the one that stands out the most to me is a pass rusher. Counting on the front the 3 to provide anything more than a push inside is a bit to optimistic.

So that leaves the OLB's, who are all transitioning from DE and have proven to be terrible pass rushers. Sure Maybin (Which is no excuse) is young but if Chris Ellis(0 sacks in 2 seasons) was a threat he would have played the last 2 years. Reggie Torbor.....is Reggie Torbor. So that leaves Chris Kelsay, who has to have pictures of the front office in a Caligula type situation, as the only other guy with an NFL sack.

I realize that the 3-4 is about coming from different angles and not just about bring pressure from the outside, but this will create 1 on1 situations with Kelsay/Ellis/Maybin on RB's and TE's and that is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not sure how a guy like Bobby Mccray, who was banged up most of last year, is not brought into to at least get a look!

This is going to be a very frustrating year because I truly think this offense is going to score but I just don't think that the Bills are going to stop the pass. It's not about secondary, it'll be about the rush. I just don't understand how this wasn't addressed at all during the offseason/draft/current FA period. :wallbash:With Mitchell and Torbor not playing sunday are pass rush only gets worse.

Mitchell seems to be a rather average LB, play in and play out. But he does have a knack of making big plays when it counts.

To bad Mitchell isn.t playing sunday.

Well, we know what the Jets D is like but NONE of us knows what the Bills D schemes are like. If you are assuming the Bills are going to do the same thing they did under Jauron then you are assuming with little evidence. We have yet to see ONE SINGLE PLAY from the Bills D in an actual, counts in the standings, game.

But go ahead and blather on, and assume the worst.

Dean, you are growing more and more bitter with age. I can tell that 60 hit you hard. You should stop lecturing everyone on this board and start taking your own advice about "how this board used to be".

It is so obvious that you know nothing about football. Actually, it's painfully obvious. The Jets version of the 3-4 is completely different than any other 3-4 in the league. The Bills don't have the personell or the DC to run their scheme. But by being a dismissive smug stoner, you will come up with something dicky to say that just exposes your lack of football knowledge.

If you think that this post is blather, then move on because all of that weed has clouded your judgement.

RUN AND HIDE, THE BILLS ARE DOOMED!!!

NO ONE KNOWS BEFORE THE SEASON HAS EVEN STARTED WHO WILL BE A PASS RUSHER! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry, Maybin is the next Lawrence Taylor. Coleman is the next James Harrison. Ellis is going to play like Merriman before the roids. Reggie Torbor will dominate. Kelsay was better than Schobel anyway.

You're right, what was I thinking bringing up the pass rush with this stall full of stallions.

Dean, you are growing more and more bitter with age. I can tell that 60 hit you hard. You should stop lecturing everyone on this board and start taking your own advice about "how this board used to be".

Bitter? I'm freaking jolly! :lol:

It is so obvious that you know nothing about football. Actually, it's painfully obvious.

Alrighty, then.

The Jets version of the 3-4 is completely different than any other 3-4 in the league.

So far, so good.

The Bills don't have the personell or the DC to run their scheme. But by being a dismissive smug stoner, you will come up with something dicky to say that just exposes your lack of football knowledge.

If you think that this post is blather, then move on because all of that weed has clouded your judgement.

A. What we know about the bulk of the Bills defensive personnel is from their performance in a 4-3. We can suppose/guess/infer how these skills might translate, but there is really little reliable evidence for us to go on.

B. As the Bills have yet to really show their scheme, we can only infer exactly what approach to the 3-4 they have in mind. There is probably some evidence here. The Bills D in preseason probably has some flavor of what we can expect. We can take a look at what George Edwards liked to do his one previous year at DC. (Probably the best evidence we have so far, yet not really that great when you think of it.)

C. Speaking of "flavor" the Bills played the 3-4 maybe half the time during preseason? Correct me if I'm wrong here. I have no charts or anything. But my drunken recollection is the Bills played a bunch of 4-3/4-2-5 (I think)/etc. Are they really going to be showing a 3-4 you are assuming and how often are they going to show something different?

You see, not only do I know football, I know how to analyze data. :nana:

Understand, it isn't that I don't share your concern. I don't share you seemingly absolute certainty based on the available data.