Jets did not sell out their opener

Just Jack

That is stupid. You cannot compare the earnings in the NYC area to the WNY area. Tickets are going to be expensive in the NYC area because the earning power is higher.

There are also about 40x's as many people in their market to sell to. That they can't sell out is just another indication that the NFL (and perhaps all major sports) have plateaued. The Big Money days are coming to an end as the population shrinks and grows poorer. Ralph could do his family a favor by dying this year (huge savings on estate taxes...about $500 million for the family)which would let them sell out at the top of the market.

That is stupid. You cannot compare the earnings in the NYC area to the WNY area. Tickets are going to be expensive in the NYC area because the earning power is higher.

You're assuming that the high power earners in the NYC area are interested in going to a football game. The type of person who enjoys football is pretty much the same across the country, blue collar/lower to middle class white collar workers. When you price the doorman out of the game, or the plumber from Jersey then yes, you're going to have a hard time selling out a stadium.

Not to mention, the earning power is higher, but so is the cost of living. A $50,000 salary in Buffalo is about the same as $100,000 in NYC. Their disposable income isn't what you assume it is.

Wow, that is absolutely pathetic...they're opening their new stadium on a Monday Night and all the fans are convinced they're gonna win the freakin' Superbowl and they can't sell out!

Tickets cost $100.00 for the nose bleed section which is higher than most stadiums and $3500 for decent seats...

If the Bills chatrged this, they might get a couple in the stands... This is why the NFL is out of control. They are pricing themselves out of their own market and relying on the Snider's and Jones of the NFL. Well most of those seats come from people like us. If I went to a game and wanted good seats for my family of 4 then I;'m looking at 14k for 3 hrs of entertainment..... The NFL bubble is coming just like the housing bubble. Good thing they will lock out the players next year huh....

You're assuming that the high power earners in the NYC area are interested in going to a football game. The type of person who enjoys football is pretty much the same across the country, blue collar/lower to middle class white collar workers. When you price the doorman out of the game, or the plumber from Jersey then yes, you're going to have a hard time selling out a stadium.

Not to mention, the earning power is higher, but so is the cost of living. A $50,000 salary in Buffalo is about the same as $100,000 in NYC. Their disposable income isn't what you assume it is.

I agree big time, but 50k in Buffalo is like 150k in the city

A thing of beauty ... love it.. I hope the NFL takes note - big city does not equal loyal fan base.

It doesn't have anything to do with fan loyalty. The NFL has gotten both stupid and greedy. The fans are simply voting with their pocketbooks, like they should have been doing all along.

From the same article:

The Jets can take advantage of a loophole in the NFL’s blackout policy that allows team owners to get their games on local TV by buying up any unsold non-premium seats for 34 cents on the dollar.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_owner_will_buy_tickets_to_avert_zXk7YOADHJD4Ze6j7oplLL#ixzz0z3RMcy4x

I did not know that. I mean, I know the owners buy-up the tickets, but I did not know they could do it for 34 cents on the dollar.

...a little self serving there, and important to know whenever an owner goes out and does this, costing them just a third of the real ticket price.

There are also about 40x's as many people in their market to sell to. That they can't sell out is just another indication that the NFL (and perhaps all major sports) have plateaued. The Big Money days are coming to an end as the population shrinks and grows poorer. Ralph could do his family a favor by dying this year (huge savings on estate taxes...about $500 million for the family)which would let them sell out at the top of the market.

On the subject of Ralph dying and his family saving a ton on estate taxes, Congress actually has the ability to pass a retroactive estate tax that will cover any estate that doesn't get taxed in this year - so it's a moot argument.

It doesn't have anything to do with fan loyalty. The NFL has gotten both stupid and greedy. The fans are simply voting with their pocketbooks, like they should have been doing all along.

Excellent point brother. I still find it funny that they spent over a billion dollars on a new stadium on top of a landfill in East Rutherford, NJ when they couldn't even pay off the old stadium. Maybe Obama will bail out the Jets and Giants in a few years.

From the same article:

The Jets can take advantage of a loophole in the NFL’s blackout policy that allows team owners to get their games on local TV by buying up any unsold non-premium seats for 34 cents on the dollar.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_owner_will_buy_tickets_to_avert_zXk7YOADHJD4Ze6j7oplLL#ixzz0z3RMcy4x

I did not know that. I mean, I know the owners buy-up the tickets, but I did not know they could do it for 34 cents on the dollar.

...a little self serving there, and important to know whenever an owner goes out and does this, costing them just a third of the real ticket price.

The thing I wonder about is how this impacts the visiting team payout. In the NFL the gate revenue is split between the two teams playing that day 60-home, 40-visitor. I wonder how those tickets bought at .43 on the dollar are calculated into the gate revenue split.

They have 8 million people (plus surrounding area)to draw from and wealthier clientele. They are pathetic and weak sports fans.

Yeah, and Bills fans are the best, blah, blah, blah. Oh wait, they sold 11,000 less season tickets this year. I've heard only true fans buy season tickets. :rolleyes:

Instead of calling these people pathetic sports fans, you should be thanking them. If everybody rolled over and paid these ticket prices;

A. You'll eventually see them in Buffalo, or

B. The new owner will have no incentative to keep the team in Buffalo knowing the money they could make elsewhere

It's about time fans have voted with their wallet, Bob the plumber is being priced out of the stadium and has to make choices. These aren't Jags fans, calling Jets fans pathetic and weak is dead wrong. They haven't had a blackout since 1977.

It's about time fans have voted with their wallet, Bob the plumber is being priced out of the stadium and has to make choices. These aren't Jags fans, calling Jets fans pathetic and weak is dead wrong. They haven't had a blackout since 1977.

We all know that for a significant portion of that time, their "sellouts" consisted of Giants fans who couldn't get season tickets to see their own team.

A thing of beauty ... love it.. I hope the NFL takes note - big city does not equal loyal fan base.

absolutely!, i love it.. i hope the greed bites these guys in the A$$

Yeah, and Bills fans are the best, blah, blah, blah. Oh wait, they sold 11,000 less season tickets this year. I've heard only true fans buy season tickets. :rolleyes:

Instead of calling these people pathetic sports fans, you should be thanking them. If everybody rolled over and paid these ticket prices;

B. The new owner will have no incentative to keep the team in Buffalo knowing the money they could make elsewhere

HUH???? are you seriously trying to draw any comparison between the NYC market and the WNY market?? that is ludicrous! as is your negativity about bills fans.

Edited by dwight in philly

absolutely!, i love it.. i hope the greed bites these guys in the A$$

HUH???? are seriously trying to draw any comparison between the NYC market and the WNY market?? that is ludicrous! as is your negativity about bills fans.

Where was I being negative about Bills fans? I'm being realistic, unlike people who's homersim blinds them into thinking they are the greatest in the world.

I'm not drawing a comparison between markets anymore then the side of "these are pathetic fans who must have enough disposable income to blow on a sporting event" are. 8 million or 800,000, the choices people are making in this economy are the same. Sports are disposable, just ask people who go to a NASCAR event.

They're also not selling tix for individual games, and requiring people to buy PSL's on already expensive seats.

Worse than that, Pre-sold parking passes needed and they are being scalped for minimum of $50 each. They are a total embarraament to the league. I won't go to the Buffalo-Jets game here this year as I refuse to get scalped for a parking spot. If not I have to park off area and take a bus or a train. Greed will ruin them, you watch.

+1

"If you can't make it there, you can't make it anywhere..."

If there's one place to set the ceiling on ticket prices and PSLs it's New York City, and obviously the Giants/Jets owners have set the bar way above it. The fact that they're having trouble getting the stadium filled is the fans saying "enough is enough," so the rest of the league better listen: gouging the normal fan to pay off a stadium isn't going to work.