Super Bowl Winning Quarterbacks

58 members have voted

1. 1. Can The Bills win a Super Bowl with Trent?

• Yes!
    • Nope.

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II

Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII

Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV

Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V

Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI

Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII

Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X

Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI

Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV

Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI

Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII

Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX

Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX

Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI

Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV

Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV

Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII

Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX

Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII

Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV

Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI

Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI

Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - SB XLIV

So just how important is a good QB to winning the Super Bowl? Every eight years or so a "bad" QB wins the Super Bowl, and other than that it's basically Hall of Famers.

Keep this in mind when things get tough this season and take solace. Nothing matters anyways until they get a top QB prospect! Hopefully these Bills can live up to the hype secure that top draft pick to give us a shot at a real QB.

Go Bills!

Guest dog14787

I've always believed TE is a Championship caliber QB and Chan Gailey is going to make my beliefs become reality,

I Billieve...

so 5 out of 44 or 11.36%, 0 in the last 7 years and 2 of them were against the bills. and usually a QB is a hall of famer becomes that because he wins the super bowl

I'd add Jim McMahon to that list

So just how important is a good QB to winning the Super Bowl? Every eight years or so a "bad" QB wins the Super Bowl, and other than that it's basically Hall of Famers.

Keep this in mind when things get tough this season and take solace. Nothing matters anyways until they get a top QB prospect! Hopefully these Bills can live up to the hype secure that top draft pick to give us a shot at a real QB.

Go Bills!

Well considering almost every QB on here is a HOF QB or serious contender to be in the HOF when their career is done, that doesnt bode well for Trent. Add in the fact, that even the guys on this list that are not HOF caliber were significantly more productive than Trent has been, even Dilfer, so again doesnt bode well for Trent.

That being said, I really really do hope he can turn it around and be a consistent starter in this league under Chan. I dont have a lot of faith in this as their were a lot of big issues with his game I really dont like that need to change before this can happen, and thats a lot to ask.

That being said, the last 2 preseason games were encouraging...funny thing is, his highest rated game this preseason, which was game 2, was one where I felt he really didnt look good at all outside of one long pass to a wide open Lee where he said he just chucked it and hoped Lee could get to it. The last two games where his rating was lower but still strong I thought he did look much better as he looked good throughout his time on the field, not just one play.

So, I hope Trent proves me wrong and can turn it around as I have nothing personal against him, just really hated the way he played and reacted to adversity out on the field. He needs to show me something in the regular season and for whole games before hope for him starts to return to the levels I had for him until he played his way out of favor with me.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Don't forget about Jim Plunkett -- he has losing records with the Patriots (there were games in which he looked like a tackling dummy) and the 49ers. It wasn't till he got to the Raiders that he enjoyed success

Yes I would too, I had him on my list and just missed tagging him when I was doing the bolding. Oops :(

I would not add Jim Plunkett. He's borderline, but he did win a Heisman and was in the league for like 20 years so he's not some scrub.

I would even add Joe Namath to that list

look at his stats sometime 1967 was by far his best year

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

12 years 4 of which were serviceable (I do realize it was a different game back in the day and in some ways that make up for it but still, he was SOOO freaking overrated most of his career.

Yes I would too, I had him on my list and just missed tagging him when I was doing the bolding. Oops :(

I would not add Jim Plunkett. He's borderline, but he did win a Heisman and was in the league for like 20 years so he's not some scrub.

Sorry for any confusion. Not implying that Plunkett is Hall of Fame material. Rather that he was probably considered a bust until he got to the Raiders -- and into a system that allowed him to be successful.

Without an elite quarterback, all you can hope for is some miracle lucky season. Which bodes well for the Bills, since Ralph Wilson is such a strong believer in luck being the necessary ingredient to cultivating a winning franchise.

I wouldn't worry about having your quarterback be the best player on your team. Heck, once a decade some team gets it done with a fat lineman as their best player.

Edited by akm0404

This is such a tough question!

The thing that scares me about Trent Edwards is that I worry he's a front runner. He seems to do well when things are going well. When he's not being challenged and he can relax and throw comfortably, he is amongst the top half of quarterbacks in this league.

But in every instance, he has crumbled under adversity. So the big thing to look for, for me, is not whether Gailey can get him to play -- we know Edwards can play, its whether or not Gailey can get him to play when everything isn't going exactly according to plan.

Good Quarterbacks adjust, and overcome adversity, both in the Super Bowl and on the way to the Super Bowl. I don't know if Edwards has it in him to do that, and I'm 50/50 as to whether or not that can be coached. That's what I'm looking for this year. When the going gets tough, does Edwards get going?

Joe Namath was an original gangsta. He might be overrated but he had some extremely productive seasons and led one of the great football stories of all time. Putting him in the same category as Trent Dilfer is absurd.

So is putting him with most of the non-bolded QBs in that list.

Joe Namath was an original gangsta. He might be overrated but he had some extremely productive seasons and led one of the great football stories of all time. Putting him in the same category as Trent Dilfer is absurd.

It sounds to me though like the practical question you are asking for Bills fans is whether there better chance of winning an SB is with TE or of finding an HOF QB?

When put this way, my sense is that trying to put together the factors needed to produce the 1 out of 8 outcome is far more likely than producing an HOF QB.

The methods of finding an HOF QB seem to run the range from picking one in the first round of the draft (this seems to be such an unlikely proposition with only rarities like Peyton Manning and RoboQB working out that the best bet judging from the stats you present are for the Bills to focus on building a winning team and look for a cutrate option of finding a cheap Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or win with a bad QB like a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer.

How do you interpret your stats as to what the Bills to do.

While replacing TE with an HOF QB would certainly be a fine thing to do, reality is simply not that easy. If the Bills cut TE this does not guarantee and SB win. What do you advocate as the method of getting an HOF QB?

Defense wins championships these days about as often as bad quarterbacks do. This is a quarterback's league, son.

No, son, defense does win championships. The Steelers D, namely James Harrison, saved that game. Yes the Ben Ro to Holmes TD was the capper, but they would not have been in that spot if not for the play Harrison made. Last year Peyton was driving down the field and the ball was intercepted (that can't be done by the offense by the way). Tampa's D, The Ravens' D, The Giants' D, Pittsburgh's D, the Pats* D in their hayday, shall I continue? Like I said, son, defense wins championships. ;)

Defense wins championships these days about as often as bad quarterbacks do. This is a quarterback's league, son.

Winning games is one thing winning credit and fan adoration is different thing.

Its a quarterback league in a big way in terms of fan adoration and celebrity,

However, the great thing about the game of NFL football is that this is a team game. Any team which attempts to focus only on what one player does ends up getting fans and some nice highlights on ESPN but does not win it all.

Micheal Vick is actually a great example of how this is a QBs league. The level of talent shown by this athlete is demonstrated by the fact with their reliance on this one player essentially they actually were good enough to make the playoffs. However, this team despite having a far and away superior athlete at QB knew it could not even run an effective O with him alone and made stupid investments like Peerless (a great idea on paper but the game is not won on paper.

In the end, this over-reliance on the QB fail prey to his inhumanity and stupidity way off the field,

He is the exception in that he is a far superior athlete to virtually all and inhuman morally to horrible levels, but this extreme case highlights the folly of confusing winning it all with making bucks.

Even the case of the best QB arguably of all time Peyton Manning was unable to win the big one without the essential support of the best GM in the game, the best kicker in the game, a defensive guru as an HC, one of the best WRs ever, a strong core of RBs and blockers. You have think that he won way more SBs than a certain 6th round pick given all the money and commercials they throw his way.

In fact it is my theory that it is the QB distraction embodies in the marketing concept of this being simply a QB league that really is at the base of our 0 for a decade playoff streak as the Bills starting with Mr. Ralph making a horrible football judgment when he made a handshake deal with Jimbo and triggered a rash of over and foolish investments in a search for the next Jimbo that is at the root of our problems.

Flat out the last time we made the playoffs was it more intelligent to allocate huge salary cap room to RJ and DF in the football stupid attempt to get the "next" QB savior or would it have been better winning football to have a relatively small amount to keep a vet on ST who would have stayed in his lane to prevent the Homerun Throw-up.

The problem we had was not that our "chosen" QB left the field with his team losing. The problem was that the QB position sucked up so much cap room we were forced to play a talented youngster on the wing on ST who got all excited and did not stay in his lane as an older vet would have done,

Winning games is one thing winning credit and fan adoration is different thing.

Its a quarterback league in a big way in terms of fan adoration and celebrity,

However, the great thing about the game of NFL football is that this is a team game. Any team which attempts to focus only on what one player does ends up getting fans and some nice highlights on ESPN but does not win it all.

Micheal Vick is actually a great example of how this is a QBs league. The level of talent shown by this athlete is demonstrated by the fact with their reliance on this one player essentially they actually were good enough to make the playoffs. However, this team despite having a far and away superior athlete at QB knew it could not even run an effective O with him alone and made stupid investments like Peerless (a great idea on paper but the game is not won on paper.

In the end, this over-reliance on the QB fail prey to his inhumanity and stupidity way off the field,

He is the exception in that he is a far superior athlete to virtually all and inhuman morally to horrible levels, but this extreme case highlights the folly of confusing winning it all with making bucks.

Even the case of the best QB arguably of all time Peyton Manning was unable to win the big one without the essential support of the best GM in the game, the best kicker in the game, a defensive guru as an HC, one of the best WRs ever, a strong core of RBs and blockers. You have think that he won way more SBs than a certain 6th round pick given all the money and commercials they throw his way.

In fact it is my theory that it is the QB distraction embodies in the marketing concept of this being simply a QB league that really is at the base of our 0 for a decade playoff streak as the Bills starting with Mr. Ralph making a horrible football judgment when he made a handshake deal with Jimbo and triggered a rash of over and foolish investments in a search for the next Jimbo that is at the root of our problems.

Flat out the last time we made the playoffs was it more intelligent to allocate huge salary cap room to RJ and DF in the football stupid attempt to get the "next" QB savior or would it have been better winning football to have a relatively small amount to keep a vet on ST who would have stayed in his lane to prevent the Homerun Throw-up.

The problem we had was not that our "chosen" QB left the field with his team losing. The problem was that the QB position sucked up so much cap room we were forced to play a talented youngster on the wing on ST who got all excited and did not stay in his lane as an older vet would have done,

Not sure what this even means. Too much emphasis and money on quarterbacks? Teams win championships? Your still pissed over the Tennessee game? You forgot to take your meds?