Is anyone else not fully buying into Gailey?

billsfan89

OK I think that Gailey is saying and doing all the right things. BUT I just don't know if he is the coach that is going to lead us back to the playoffs. I mean so far pre-season we have looked good but its pre-season its still meaningless. If I look at what Gailey has done in the past it doesn't inspire much confidence. Since getting canned by Dallas (After a somewhat successful stint there) he hasn't done much.

His record with Miami isn't impressive (they improved after he left), his record with Georgia Tech isn't impressive either (They improved a lot after he left), and KC wasn't that good and even though they got slightly worse after he left Tony Gonzales also left which was more likely due to their slight decline.

All in all I hope for the best but just because Gailey is better then Jauron doesn't mean he is going to work out.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Chan is going to lead us to the promise land this year, and next year is still up for grabs if we even have a season. However, the guy has guts enough to lead them. Jauron was dead from the neck up; just didn't have the good sense to lay down.

Chan's dog us comments raised his potential IMO.

I don't think it matters whether we buy into him. The players are buying into him, and there is enough talent on this squad to be competitive. The OL isn't great, but he'll design plays and call plays to take advantage of the strengths of the offense. The transition from 4-3 to 3-4 will take a bit of time, but these are all NFL calibre players, so if the coaching is right, they will be good.

I like his attitude about coming to work expecting to win. I think his playcalling is key to the whole thing. Playcalling is all about catching the opposition off-guard. In other words, right play right time. Remember in 2002 when NE ran like 26 successful screen plays on us? That's what we need from CG.

OK I think that Gailey is saying and doing all the right things. BUT I just don't know if he is the coach that is going to lead us back to the playoffs. I mean so far pre-season we have looked good but its pre-season its still meaningless. If I look at what Gailey has done in the past it doesn't inspire much confidence. Since getting canned by Dallas (After a somewhat successful stint there) he hasn't done much.

His record with Miami isn't impressive (they improved after he left), his record with Georgia Tech isn't impressive either (They improved a lot after he left), and KC wasn't that good and even though they got slightly worse after he left Tony Gonzales also left which was more likely due to their slight decline.

All in all I hope for the best but just because Gailey is better then Jauron doesn't mean he is going to work out.

He was in Miami for the 2000 and 2001 seasons, they went 11-5 both years with Jay Fiedler at QB. They didn't return to the playoffs until 2008. I'm not sure what you're refering to.

Also, this from the Bills website:

"Gailey’s resume speaks for itself, he has spent nine of his previous 15 NFL seasons as either a head coach or offensive coordinator. During those nine seasons, his teams have made the playoffs seven times and boasted a 1,000-yard rusher on seven different occasions. In total, he has made playoff appearances in 11 of his 15 seasons in NFL coaching. His resume also boasts four Super Bowl berths, including one with Pittsburgh (XXX) and three with Denver (XXI, XXII and XXIV)."

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/chan-gailey/dadb1683-1a19-4811-83c0-b9347f2240ba

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Since Gailey hasn't coached a regular season game for the Bills, all we (and more importantly, the management at OBD) have to evaluate him on is his record.

Unfortunately, your assessment of Chan's history as a coach is off. As mentioned by another poster, his Dolphins team were not only 11-5 both of those years but also had the league's 8th ranked offense in 2001 (source: Pro Football Reference). Don't know about you, but an offensive coordinator that can take a team with Jay Fiedler as the starting QB and Lamar Smith at RB to the playoffs with an 8th ranked offense seems to be up to snuff.

As for his time at GT, I agree, it was certainly disappointing. However, the college game is a whole different ball game. You're dealing with boys transforming into men; in many cases, you're not only a coach, but a father figure as well. The long history of NFL coaches failing at the college level and vice versa is well-documented. Being a Notre Dame fan, the Charlie Weis situation is a painful reminder that a coach can be successful at the pro level but bust out in college coaching.

Chan has done enough so far to look good during his short time with the Bills. If you don't like him based on gut instinct, then you're certainly entitled to do so. However, his record is decidedly favorable overall and he seems to have the tools to successfully coach an NFL team, which is much more than can be said of our previous head coaches.

:wallbash::wallbash: I knew better than to open this post ... I really did know better but then again maybe I didn't.

Do you know that if the sun shines it doesn't mean it is going to be a sunny day because every pesimist in the world is going to say that there is a storm on the horizon even though the sun is shining.

The Cowboys admit they screwed up by firing Gailey ... he has proven himself to be a good offensive minded coach at the college and pro level. He has come into town with a major attitude adjustment for the players and team.

Why can't you sit back ... watch a few games ... see if Gailey's Bills are showing a winning attitude and competence on the field. No one is a miracle worker ... he is not going to be fired if they aren't in the playoffs but from everything he has showed us he is a coach who will stand up for his players but also not sugar coat their mistakes ... he wants to win.

So pull your head out of the storm and look at the sunshine ... no, we aren't going to be undefeated but there's a fairly good chance we will be 1-0 after Sunday's game ...

Be a fan for a few days ... cheer for your Bills ... hope for the best ... enjoy CJ Spiller and if the Byrdman is back in action watch him fly ... Roscoe is going to do some special things and there may be some surprises too...

GO BILLS

:wallbash::wallbash: I knew better than to open this post ... I really did know better but then again maybe I didn't.

Do you know that if the sun shines it doesn't mean it is going to be a sunny day because every pesimist in the world is going to say that there is a storm on the horizon even though the sun is shining.

The Cowboys admit they screwed up by firing Gailey ... he has proven himself to be a good offensive minded coach at the college and pro level. He has come into town with a major attitude adjustment for the players and team.

Why can't you sit back ... watch a few games ... see if Gailey's Bills are showing a winning attitude and competence on the field. No one is a miracle worker ... he is not going to be fired if they aren't in the playoffs but from everything he has showed us he is a coach who will stand up for his players but also not sugar coat their mistakes ... he wants to win.

So pull your head out of the storm and look at the sunshine ... no, we aren't going to be undefeated but there's a fairly good chance we will be 1-0 after Sunday's game ...

Be a fan for a few days ... cheer for your Bills ... hope for the best ... enjoy CJ Spiller and if the Byrdman is back in action watch him fly ... Roscoe is going to do some special things and there may be some surprises too...

GO BILLS

+1 :thumbsup:

I, for one, am a Gailey fan. Even if the team goes 0-16, I am confident we are in much better hands than we have been since 1999. He was somewhat naive, IMHO, in not realizing what a disaster our QB situation is. If he turns them around, however, all the credit goes to him. We can't fix this team with one draft and a training camp. This is going to be a process in all likelihood. If any good comes from this season, it is going to be the raw realization of which players on this team need to be replaced. They will make themselves obvious.

I am, however, not willing to demonize those who think Gailey is a dud. We all saw the process that the front office went through to find our new head coach, and to say it was a train wreck would be an understatement. Good coaches were out there for the taking and according to Nix, his phone was ringing off the hook. For instance, I'd have preferred to bring Schottenheimer, Holmgren, Cowher, Billick - for starters - to the team. Only one problem, Gailey is the coach and there is no getting around that. In that respect, I hope he's as good as the rest of the league says he is. I can't bear another decade of catastrophic football in this region.

I, for one, am a Gailey fan. Even if the team goes 0-16, I am confident we are in much better hands than we have been since 1999. He was somewhat naive, IMHO, in not realizing what a disaster our QB situation is. If he turns them around, however, all the credit goes to him. We can't fix this team with one draft and a training camp. This is going to be a process in all likelihood. If any good comes from this season, it is going to be the raw realization of which players on this team need to be replaced. They will make themselves obvious.

I am, however, not willing to demonize those who think Gailey is a dud. We all saw the process that the front office went through to find our new head coach, and to say it was a train wreck would be an understatement. Good coaches were out there for the taking and according to Nix, his phone was ringing off the hook. For instance, I'd have preferred to bring Schottenheimer, Holmgren, Cowher, Billick - for starters - to the team. Only one problem, Gailey is the coach and there is no getting around that. In that respect, I hope he's as good as the rest of the league says he is. I can't bear another decade of catastrophic football in this region.

I don't believe I would be a fan of coach Gailey if we go 0-16. I would not have confidence in the coach and I know I would think were in better hands. Just my opinion.

Here is my take on Gailey. I wasn't very happy with the selection. I have been very skeptical of this new regime. IMHO, the new regime deserves a chance to prove themselves. I for one haven't been the most open minded person when addressing the new changes. I have taken out many years or frustration out on the new regime. Right or wrong, I have been reluctant to give them the benifit of the doubt. I fully realize that this thinking is flawed. I believe it's due to the organization's lack of success. It almost seems like this organization is destined to fail year after year.

This board has seriously helped me to change my thinking. The positive posters here have really helped me see things differently. Although I still don't agree with many of you, the positive comments have prevented me from being closed minded or at least less close minded. I really do enjoy reading everyones viewpoints and I really enjoy this forum. I have much respect for your football knowledge. Enough of that...

Back to Gailey, I am starting to believe this guy might be the right fit in Buffalo. For the first time in years, it was actually enjoyable to watch the offense play. Seems like Gailey is on the right track. This season will tell us alot.

Edited by mpl6876

Here is my take on Gailey. I wasn't very happy with the selection. I have been very skeptical of this new regime. IMHO, the new regime deserves a chance to prove themselves. I for one haven't been the most open minded person when addressing the new changes. I have taken out many years or frustration out on the new regime. Right or wrong, I have been reluctant to give them the benifit of the doubt. I fully realize that this thinking is flawed. I believe it's due to the organization's lack of success. It almost seems like this organization is destined to fail year after year.

This board has seriously helped me to change my thinking. The positive posters here have really helped me see things differently. Although I still don't agree with many of you, the positive comments have prevented me from being closed minded or at least less close minded. I really do enjoy reading everyones viewpoints and I really enjoy this forum. I have much respect for your football knowledge. Enough of that...

Back to Gailey, I am starting to believe this guy might be the right fit in Buffalo. For the first time in years, it was actually enjoyable to watch the offense play. Seems like Gailey is on the right track. This season will tell us alot.

Mpl i'm honestly not sure what to make of your turn around in attitude. I know you will be cautious about our new coaching staff, which is fine by me if u feel that way. But you are more willing to understand other points of view, even the positive ones, which is great to see. I don't always agree with the things you say, but it's getting a little easier to read your posts and try and understand why you think the way you do about certain topics. Just good to see a better side of you.

He has won me over so far, it really all comes down to wins and losses though.

I know Id feel better about this season if the Bills had invested in two tackles early in the draft and that was my main dislike of his approach to this season. If the guy can get his QB's to release the ball successfully to the receivers in 3 seconds and under like they have in the preseason, then the tackle position for pass blocking won't be as important as it was under Jauron.

Mpl i'm honestly not sure what to make of your turn around in attitude. I know you will be cautious about our new coaching staff, which is fine by me if u feel that way. But you are more willing to understand other points of view, even the positive ones, which is great to see. I don't always agree with the things you say, but it's getting a little easier to read your posts and try and understand why you think the way you do about certain topics. Just good to see a better side of you.

One of my favorite Vince Lombardi's quotes: Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate.

Thanks for the response.

This is the most sense I've seen you make. Kudos.

Not sure how you come to such a conclusion when the data is so very wrong. Now that you're aware that you're incorrect, does this change your mind? Do you believe your opinion may not be based on anything related to football?

OP? OP??

Hmmm, must be off on another teams website, dissin' their staff with no credible evidence

..dry.gif

As usual, we have 53 fo the worlds best 1696 football players. What's new is the teams' direction. The fans have screamed for this for years. We're about to witness what we wished for.

As for these COMPLIMENTARY comments re:mpl, I'm floored! Not taking him off IGNORE yet, but I'll keep my eye on further comments.