up grades at QB position

KRT88

Are we to believe that the team brass is OK with the 3 QB on the roster? Brian Brohm obviously isn't the answer and we know that Friz is a career backup. Wouldn't it make sense to release Brohm and pick up Troy Smith. The guy is an upgrade and if thing go south with Edwards, we have something different to try before we pick 1st overall.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, look! It's a week before the opener.

Let's cut our Offensive Coordinator.

Nah, we did that last year.

Okay, yeah, I know... let get us a new QB - someone who we don't know and who doesn't know our system.

But he's got to be an upgrade over what we got - because he was a third stringer on another team and they shxt canned him.

Sweet!

Are we to believe that the team brass is OK with the 3 QB on the roster? Brian Brohm obviously isn't the answer and we know that Friz is a career backup. Wouldn't it make sense to release Brohm and pick up Troy Smith. The guy is an upgrade and if thing go south with Edwards, we have something different to try before we pick 1st overall.

Troy Smith does not fit Gailey's system that is why we won't bring him in. Wrong fit thats all.

The time to upgrade was months ago. The Bills Front Office has clearly decided not to upgrade. I would like to think that maybe they think TE can be that quality starting NFL QB. I have my doubts but he has looked good during preseason. For now, we are going to have to see how TE does. I think we pretty much know what we have in Fitz. BB seems to be a long shot at best. If things don't work out, the time to upgrade will be next year.

Hey, look! It's a week before the opener.

Let's cut our Offensive Coordinator.

Nah, we did that last year.

Okay, yeah, I know... let get us a new QB - someone who we don't know and who doesn't know our system.

But he's got to be an upgrade over what we got - because he was a third stringer on another team and they shxt canned him.

Sweet!

He is a third stringer. He most likely wouldn't be playing right away. He's not calling every play and God forbid, the Bills pick up a 3rd string QB from another team. Can you think of a time that they've done that before? I don't get the argument about Troy Smith not fitting Gailey's system. Didn't we draft a mobile QB? The biggest knock on Smith is his height. Yes, he may come in and cause a disruption in the locker room by thinking he should start. Personally, I like the idea of having a mobile QB behind this O-Line. And yes, these are all stop gap moves leading up to drafting our future QB next season.

I'm with you guy. Virtually anyone would be as good as our 3 half talent QBs. Beyond me why the "great minds" on OBD had chosen to ignore the QB position. Another year of Edwards and Fitz under center makes me fit to puke.

Why do you consider Smith an upgrade over Brohm?

Troy Smith is not an upgrade and by the time he learns enough to play the season is over.

I think Brohm has more upside and I am not talking big upside here.

I'm with you guy. Virtually anyone would be as good as our 3 half talent QBs. Beyond me why the "great minds" on OBD had chosen to ignore the QB position. Another year of Edwards and Fitz under center makes me fit to puke.

Because Clausen or McCoy or Pike or Lefevour or "fill in the blank" would have ended up in the same place as Levi Brown .. fourth on the depth chart. To make matters worse we would have used a roster spot to keep them.

Next year we draft a QB.

Let me ask it a different way - why would you cosider Brohm to be better than Smith? Brohm has showed us nothing.

So in other words, you got nothing. Just bashing Bills Players because they're Bills Players and obviously any castoff who wasn't a Bills Player is better than them.

Have I nailed you, Bubba?

Let me ask it a different way - why would you cosider Brohm to be better than Smith? Brohm has showed us nothing.

I disagree with both the question and the conclusion of your post. But I understand you may have seen little in Brohm's performance. (You seem neither very observant or intelligent based on the bulk of your posts.)

Can we wait until we play a few games? It is obvious to most that this team is better coached and prepared than with the previous staff. When they line up they actually look like they know what to do. Let's give it a chance.

He is a third stringer. He most likely wouldn't be playing right away. He's not calling every play and God forbid, the Bills pick up a 3rd string QB from another team. Can you think of a time that they've done that before? I don't get the argument about Troy Smith not fitting Gailey's system. Didn't we draft a mobile QB? The biggest knock on Smith is his height. Yes, he may come in and cause a disruption in the locker room by thinking he should start. Personally, I like the idea of having a mobile QB behind this O-Line. And yes, these are all stop gap moves leading up to drafting our future QB next season.

For the love of might! November 19, 2009 if you must know, and his name is Brian Brohm.

Fook sakes! Was it that long ago?

I was going to respond, but this Edwards conversation has been SOOO beat to death. If he does well, he'll play. If he doesn't, Chan has no loyalty and the revolving door will spin.

Because Clausen or McCoy or Pike or Lefevour or "fill in the blank" would have ended up in the same place as Levi Brown .. fourth on the depth chart. To make matters worse we would have used a roster spot to keep them.

Including Clausen in that pack of crap QBs is ridiculous and completely without merit. He clearly won the backup job despite being injured and will be te starter in Carolina by the end of the season.

There are better quarterbacks out there.

There aren't better quarterbacks out there who know our offense and have enough reps with our receivers to be better FOR US.

Personally, I think that was the point of Gailey's "quarterback competition". I think he wanted to get to just where he is.

He must have known from the start he didn't have a marquee, sure-fire star quarterback anywhere on the team.

Safe bet his offense was planned accordingly and depends on knowing the playbook and the receivers and playing "competently enough".

By announcing a "QB competition", Gailey not only stirred up competitive juices and brought out extra effort, he almost totally dodged criticism for

not giving the starter enough reps. I don't think I've seen this critique at all - not even here.

So look where Chan is now -- sitting on 3 "known quantities" at QB who have shown they can run his offense competently and had adequate rehearsal.

I think he's relatively happy, actually. We may have more quality depth at QB than many "contender" NFL teams.

Consider NE backup QB Brian Hoyer. UDFA 2009.

Anyone here think he's top-notch NFL starter material? Didn't think so. NE is convinced he can do it at need, though.

(and NE waived their 7th round draftee, just as we did - he looked about the same as Brown, statistically)

Consider NO backup QB Chase Daniel. UDFA 2009.

I'm from Missouri so I like him; conventional wisdom around the league doesn't have him great.

Is NO scurrying and shopping for a better backup? Haven't heard so. He knows the system and he's moved the chains in preseason.

NO also just waived their #3. Will be interesting to see if they go for an upgrade.

The real Q-mark in B'lo isn't the depth or quality of our backups. That seems solid, relative to many other teams.

It's that many don't see Trent as a real option at starter.

Well, Chan decided to give him a shot and we are NOT going to pull a franchise starting QB off waivers, folks.

My $0.02, chill on the QB lust and hope we make moves that can fill in the real gaps - on OL, for example