Buddy Nix as GM

Trader

I can justify Buddy Nix as a GM if he can perform at this time of the year and during the draft. Buddy needs to show us something right now. The Bills need 2 OL one Tackle and one Guard for back up purposes. Gailey has already said that his current starters are not ready to go the whole game. If he gets one it's an B grade two is an A grade. None is a D grade. I also see them needing another Tight End who can both block and catch. He does not have to get down the field just move the chains and help out in the run game. Buddy we need three serviceable players out of you.

PS. I do think that Nix did a good job with the draft and signing UDFA's. Signing veteran free agents is not a priority right now teams only do that when they are contenders for championships the Bills are not at that stage of development.

I agree with you. there's slim pickings out there but HE MUST get us depth. Sure we are happy w all the fresh faces and excited as their philosophy develops but I will not attain that "AHA!" moment until he does what you say. i hope He has stock piled the secondary to trade a few for some swift powerful fattys to back this fragile line up. Im bummed that we didnt get TE Grokowski who was snagged up by Denver. We need a solid TE, OT, and a better QB project for that 3rd string.

I can justify Buddy Nix as a GM if he can perform at this time of the year and during the draft. Buddy needs to show us something right now. The Bills need 2 OL one Tackle and one Guard for back up purposes. Gailey has already said that his current starters are not ready to go the whole game. If he gets one it's an B grade two is an A grade. None is a D grade. I also see them needing another Tight End who can both block and catch. He does not have to get down the field just move the chains and help out in the run game. Buddy we need three serviceable players out of you.

PS. I do think that Nix did a good job with the draft and signing UDFA's. Signing veteran free agents is not a priority right now teams only do that when they are contenders for championships the Bills are not at that stage of development.

Buddy Nix may be the best GM in football for we know. But he is locked into the Cash to Cap budget set by Ralph Wilson until Ralph passes. Sure he may pick up some "depth", but it will be young vets with virtually zero game experience or rookies that he ends up signing - in my humble opinion. And if they are no better then the three OL's he cut, I will wager that overall they will be less expensive, anyway!!

The truth of the matter is, there simply isn't any O-Lineman out there that are worth signing.

This is year one of a rebuilding process. I'm confident we'll see a focus on Tackles come next year's FA period and draft.

Truth is that is not the truth. I think there are things to do and with actual holes in depth on the roster he will plug in some guys. If the ppl around here like them or not or if they are any good is anybody's guess.

The truth of the matter is, there simply isn't any O-Lineman out there that are worth signing.

This is year one of a rebuilding process. I'm confident we'll see a focus on Tackles come next year's FA period and draft.

Hard to believe that. So we really go into the season with 3 back ups, two of which are rookies?

Ho do you like this scenario? Hangartner gets hurt in the 1st quarter. Wood slides to center and Cordaro Howard takes over at RG. That scares me. I like the kid and he may develop inot a solid starter but I saw him play in preseason and he is not ready for prime time. What if Levitre or Wood get dinged next? Who plays left gaurd or center? You have Meredith or Wang, both of them are tackles. My lord I have to believe that there is a veteran C/G out there that can help us.

Heck, even Chambers is availabe to back up G/T.

I agree with you. there's slim pickings out there but HE MUST get us depth. Sure we are happy w all the fresh faces and excited as their philosophy develops but I will not attain that "AHA!" moment until he does what you say. i hope He has stock piled the secondary to trade a few for some swift powerful fattys to back this fragile line up. Im bummed that we didnt get TE Grokowski who was snagged up by Denver. We need a solid TE, OT, and a better QB project for that 3rd string.

No .... We really need a one veteran to backup C/G and a backup TE that can actually block somebody and help our tackles. I would settle for that.

We have plenty of "QB projects" with Brohm and Levi Brown(expect Brown will make the PS).

Hard to believe that. So we really go into the season with 3 back ups, two of which are rookies?

Ho do you like this scenario? Hangartner gets hurt in the 1st quarter. Wood slides to center and Cordaro Howard takes over at RG. That scares me. I like the kid and he may develop inot a solid starter but I saw him play in preseason and he is not ready for prime time. What if Levitre or Wood get dinged next? Who plays left gaurd or center? You have Meredith or Wang, both of them are tackles. My lord I have to believe that there is a veteran C/G out there that can help us.

Heck, even Chambers is availabe to back up G/T.

It's like you said, the G/C/G spots are almost inter-changeable. Meredith would play G in some injury scenarios.

The Bills have had no one behind their starters all offseason. You think they're suddenly gonna bring in some help with one week to go? No way does that guy learn the system and blocking scheme that fast.

All I'm saying is, with the season opener one week away I don't think the Bills will bring in any O-Lineman. I think they'd rather have extra LBs and DBs for ST purposes. And should there be an OL injury, then they'll address it right then and there and bring in someone off the street. This is how Buddy appears to be managing his roster. And it makes sense. If there was a decent O-Lineman available you have to believe that Buddy, as a football guy, would've already brought him in.

Edited by lets_go_bills

I would like to see some depth added to this team, obviously OL takes a priority and I would like to see David Martin, the TE from Miami given a look. That being said,I strongly disagree with you regarding the draft and UNDFAs. When you look at Nix's drafting history at San Diego, he's a guy who going mining for small school talent that be believes has the tools to play at the NFL level. All you have to do is look at the San Diego teams over the last ten years to see how his philosophy has carried over to the Bills this year. I like what he's doing and we won't really know his drafting prowess for years to come, much like the disaster that the Marv era has produced that we're just now seeing how truly bad it was (despite our beliefs back when the drafts were occuring), even Easley is out for this year. And Easley's performance is now one year behind, and for the record I agree with putting him on IR. He most likely would have needed this year to learn and develop anyways, so now you don't lose a roster spot, can make sure he takes his time in healing and can continue to focus on the mental aspect of the game. I'm not ready to call Nix a GM genius, but I do like what has happened so far, and I think his track record has proven enough for us to give him a few years to jump to any conclusions....positive or negative.

Truth is that is not the truth. I think there are things to do and with actual holes in depth on the roster he will plug in some guys. If the ppl around here like them or not or if they are any good is anybody's guess.

I doan gettit. If it's not the truth that there aren't OL worth signing, then there should be some good OL available. (worth signing = good)

If OL are signed but "if they are any good is anybody's guess" then one could argue it's true that there aren't any OL worth signing?

Buddy Nix may be the best GM in football for we know. But he is locked into the Cash to Cap budget set by Ralph Wilson

Schobel's salary was already factored in - we did not add any salary after he was released - so that money should be available for signings

In the past this is where we felt John Guy failed us - not being able to identify veteran NFL players to come and and fill backup roles - lets see what happens here. My expectation is Buddy will add a few key components

Buddy Nix may be the best GM in football for we know. But he is locked into the Cash to Cap budget set by Ralph Wilson until Ralph passes. Sure he may pick up some "depth", but it will be young vets with virtually zero game experience or rookies that he ends up signing - in my humble opinion. And if they are no better then the three OL's he cut, I will wager that overall they will be less expensive, anyway!!

You hit the nail on the head. Dropping Hardy and keeping this Jones guy was classic money svaer. Cash to Cap ralph will always have us playing behind other teams, even with no cap! Our waiver pikups will be kind that other teams have on practice squads. We will save again. Nix's hands are tied.

1. There is no cap this year, so "cash to cap" is basically a meaningless phrase right now.

2. When there was a cap, you will note that many teams, some VERY successful, also operated in a similar "cash to cap" system.

3. When there was a cap, the Bills didn't completely refrain from signing FAs. In fact, many here based the old regime for overpaying for "other teams trash".

4. FAs get to pick what team they sign with. You can't simply order them to play for the Bills. Older vets tend to want to go to already successful teams, teams right on the brink and/or warm weather teams. Yes, I suppose Ralph could overspend on these marginal players to get them to Buffalo, but then aren't they really overpaying for other teams trash?

So, bottom line, cash to cap isn't the issue here and probably wasn't the issue when there was a cap. What you are really trying to say, in many threads in the same clumsy way is, "Ralph is cheap so the Bills suck."

Well, perhaps there is some truth in that. But instead of simply grousing and sounding like you don't have a clue, why not suggest SPECIFIC players who are available and represent an upgrade at their positions? I believe the target positions should be OT and OLB (and perhaps TE) at this point of the process, but you may have other ideas. Keep in mind the Bills are rebuilding and are probably concentrating on getting their younger players experience, but there might be room for the right vet at the right position.

1. There is no cap this year, so "cash to cap" is basically a meaningless phrase right now.

2. When there was a cap, you will note that many teams, some VERY successful, also operated in a similar "cash to cap" system.

3. When there was a cap, the Bills didn't completely refrain from signing FAs. In fact, many here based the old regime for overpaying for "other teams trash".

4. FAs get to pick what team they sign with. You can't simply order them to play for the Bills. Older vets tend to want to go to already successful teams, teams right on the brink and/or warm weather teams. Yes, I suppose Ralph could overspend on these marginal players to get them to Buffalo, but then aren't they really overpaying for other teams trash?

So, bottom line, cash to cap isn't the issue here and probably wasn't the issue when there was a cap. What you are really trying to say, in many threads in the same clumsy way is, "Ralph is cheap so the Bills suck."

Well, perhaps there is some truth in that. But instead of simply grousing and sounding like you don't have a clue, why not suggest SPECIFIC players who are available and represent an upgrade at their positions? I believe the target positions should be OT and OLB (and perhaps TE) at this point of the process, but you may have other ideas. Keep in mind the Bills are rebuilding and are probably concentrating on getting their younger players experience, but there might be room for the right vet at the right position.

What people are really saying is "sign someone I've heard of or at least with a high Madden score."

PTR

I can justify Buddy Nix as a GM if he can perform at this time of the year and during the draft. Buddy needs to show us something right now. The Bills need 2 OL one Tackle and one Guard for back up purposes. Gailey has already said that his current starters are not ready to go the whole game. If he gets one it's an B grade two is an A grade. None is a D grade.

I've decided that the Bills need some taller tight ends. So, if Nix gets one who's over 7'2", he gets an A grade, over 7'0", he gets a B grade and if he only gets one who's over 6'10", he gets a D grade.

My point being that you have no reasonable right to decide what we need, decide that it's what Buddy wants, decide that there are some guys available who would fill the bill and grade him based on your guesses and priorities. Doesn't make any sense.

The fact is that the reason guys are dropped at this time of year is almost always that they simply aren't very good. And they definitely don't know the system.

Dean, I agree with the rest of your post, but totally disagree with your point #1.

Why "cash to cap"? Because the NFL happened to pick the cap number out of the air each year? No, because the "cap" was always exactly the amount of money paid to each team by the NFL, mostly as a result of how much the TV contract will pay that year. In other words, Ralph wanted (reasonably, IMHO) to pay out less than he got.

He's still getting a certain amount paid to him by the league, and it's an extremely good bet that he's told Buddy and the FO not to pay out more in salaries and bonuses than comes in from the league. It's not called a cap this year, but it's still a ceiling for the Bills, I feel pretty sure, and for the other 22 or so teams who generally operate by cash to cap (including the Colts and Steelers, I've read, which should convince folks who think a cash to cap spending philosophy condemns you to be a loser - but some folks never change their mind).

It's like you said, the G/C/G spots are almost inter-changeable. Meredith would play G in some injury scenarios.

The Bills have had no one behind their starters all offseason. You think they're suddenly gonna bring in some help with one week to go? No way does that guy learn the system and blocking scheme that fast.

All I'm saying is, with the season opener one week away I don't think the Bills will bring in any O-Lineman. I think they'd rather have extra LBs and DBs for ST purposes. And should there be an OL injury, then they'll address it right then and there and bring in someone off the street. This is how Buddy appears to be managing his roster. And it makes sense. If there was a decent O-Lineman available you have to believe that Buddy, as a football guy, would've already brought him in.

Do we really need 10 LBs and 6 safeties? ST is not the reason we kept them, we cannot possibly dress them all.

In camp they had the equivilent of ~3 OLs. They decided that nearly all of the back ups were not good enough to keep. That in itself is a planning and a talent evaluation problem.

I still do not buy that adding a veteran C/G is hard to do. Not saying the person has to be ready to play in one week or even in two weeks. This is a contingency move that will pay dividends as the season progresses.

Recall the injuruies we had last year. We were forced to bring in several guards, Simmons and Incognito come to mind. They were thrown out there within a week of joining the team.

I think we should bring in a veteran interior lineman now. This is just so basic and to hear fans justify and rationalize this roster amazes me, especially after what happend last year. How quickly we forget.

What people are really saying is "sign someone I've heard of or at least with a high Madden score."

PTR

Weak. How about sign someone who can come in if Hangartner and Levitre collide with each other and get dinged. 8 is a scary number especially considering that to begin with the tackles are well "inexperienced."

He's still getting a certain amount paid to him by the league, and it's an extremely good bet that he's told Buddy and the FO not to pay out more in salaries and bonuses than comes in from the league. It's not called a cap this year, but it's still a ceiling for the Bills, I feel pretty sure, and for the other 22 or so teams who generally operate by cash to cap (including the Colts and Steelers, I've read, which should convince folks who think a cash to cap spending philosophy condemns you to be a loser - but some folks never change their mind).

I've always thought this "cash to cap" philosophy was a result of teams carrying tons of dead cap space from signing bonuses of players that ultimately were bad signings. The Bills went to it after the end of the Butler era when they purged the team and couldn't use 1/3 of their cap because it was taken up by amoratized bonuses that had "come due" because the player was cut. When done right, it gives you the freedom to shape your roster year to year, as you point out with the Steelers and Colts. It is not a de facto way of doing things on the cheap, as so many believe. I read somewhere (can't remember where, so no link) that instead of a ton of upfront money that is spread out across the life of the contract, the Bills and other teams get around it by paying roster bonuses from year to year.

Dean, I agree with the rest of your post, but totally disagree with your point #1.

Why "cash to cap"? Because the NFL happened to pick the cap number out of the air each year? No, because the "cap" was always exactly the amount of money paid to each team by the NFL, mostly as a result of how much the TV contract will pay that year. In other words, Ralph wanted (reasonably, IMHO) to pay out less than he got.

I think we may simply be having a semantic disagreement here.

"Cash to cap", according to the way I understand it, is simply an internal accounting practice. It isn't necessarily a method to spend less money, or to spend less than what they receive from the NFL.

So, I suppose you can say that the Bills are operating on an internal cash-to-cap, even though there is no NFL cap by simply replacing the word "cap" with "the team's cut from the league's TV contract, etc" which is roughly equivalent to the yearly cap anyway.

I'll buy that.