Chan giving hints or misdirection.

JinWPB

Chan when asked about the 3/4 hinted we might be in the 4/3 defense more this year. My quess is he understands we still don't have the players to be a 3/4 team, but have most of the last few years 4/3 teams still on board.

Some might not agree but I feel our 4/3 defense last year was not the main reason we couldn't win, it was an offense that couldn't score.

Or he could have just thrown that out there so the Fins would have more to think about. Either way it says something about how he thinks.

I agree with you. I think we will probably be in our Nickel package as much as possible. This will get Kyle Williams in a better spot and lets them get Maybin in the game as well. The other plus is that you then have McKelvin, McGee and Florence all on the field, which imo is better than a linebacker in coverage.

They stated several times that they were going 3/4, but in a hybrid sense of 4/3. I think they will mostly do a 3/4 base, but ask to hit gaps like a 4/3 with different blitzes and more blitz packages from the rover/flanker spots. We don't have a big guy to plug the middle so hitting gaps should help. Go 3/4 on passing downs so we can utilize the outside rush more that's all.

I also agree. Until we have 3-4 personnel, we will be a hybrid defense. Even if that means 4-3 most of the time. The bottom line is Chan wants his D to give opposing offenses fits. He wants them guessing. Well I think he's succeeded because we are all guessing and hoping this unit is at least as good (overall) as Perry Fewell's Defense was, but with marked improvement against the run!

Some might not agree but I feel our 4/3 defense last year was not the main reason we couldn't win, it was an offense that couldn't score.

I agree with you. A lot of the rushing yards given up last year were on big plays (Ex: Thomas Jones) or when the Defense was on the field for most of the game (Saints' Pierre Thomas in 4th qtr).

During this preseason, the starting defense has been giving up a lot of 15 to 20 yard runs. They seem worse vs the run.

Chan when asked about the 3/4 hinted we might be in the 4/3 defense more this year. My quess is he understands we still don't have the players to be a 3/4 team, but have most of the last few years 4/3 teams still on board.

Or he could have just thrown that out there so the Fins would have more to think about. Either way it says something about how he thinks.

Disagree. The defense could not stop the run. The other teams ran at us at will. The offense stunk the joint no doubt. But when the offense needed the ball, the Bills could not stop on 3rd downs.

Disagree. The defense could not stop the run. The other teams ran at us at will. The offense stunk the joint no doubt. But when the offense needed the ball, the Bills could not stop on 3rd downs.

While I agree with what you're saying, the constant 3 and outs by the offense didn't help any. The defense had a tendency to fade toward the end of the third quarter because of it.

However there was such a disparity in time of possession that the defense would get worn down by games end. Thus having no gas left in the tank to get off the field.

Agreed -- from what little I saw of the preseason it looked like the Bills were in a 4-3 as often as 3-4

I think that Chan is wisely backing off of the total transformation to the 3-4. A wise coach adapts his scheme to fit his players strength's. It's a refreshing break from Dick Mauron's philosophy.