Give me your take on Brian Brohm #4

I read several reports that they matched the Bills offer. It's possible that the one he took was a second offer from the Bills. It's just like regular free agency. The player's agent calls on teams, fields offers, makes counter offers, etc.

Kelly, my point is that there are a lot of people making more out Brohm than what he is. There is almost no precendent for a highly drafted QB to be let go before his 2nd year even starts! Especially without compensation. Everyone in the league passed on him through waivers which tells me that even the bad teams who needed a QB didn't think much of him.

The Bills took a flyer on him and realized that he's nothing more than a backup. I don't think that's all that bad. He comes from a coaching family, maybe he'll be a valuable "Frank Reich" type backup who can mentor and help a future QB learn. But he's nothing more than that.

To make anything more out of how he got here just seems silly and desperate...that's all.

BTW, welcome back!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly, my point is that there are a lot of people making more out Brohm than what he is. There is almost no precendent for a highly drafted QB to be let go before his 2nd year even starts! Especially without compensation. Everyone in the league passed on him through waivers which tells me that even the bad teams who needed a QB didn't think much of him.

The Bills took a flyer on him and realized that he's nothing more than a backup. I don't think that's all that bad. He comes from a coaching family, maybe he'll be a valuable "Frank Reich" type backup who can mentor and help a future QB learn. But he's nothing more than that.

To make anything more out of how he got here just seems silly and desperate...that's all.

BTW, welcome back!

How do we know the Bills realized Brohm is just a backup?

Did I miss something here?

At this point, BB is not a starting NFL caliber QB and I seriously doubt he ever will be. I am just glad all that nonsense BB hype seems to be over. TE is our QB and we will have to live with that front office decision. I believe it was a mistake not to sign/draft a QB this year. TE has looked good this preseason and Gailey looks to be as advertised with his innovation play calling even in preseason. This gives me hope but I am afraid TE and the offense won't be able to produce when it counts. With that said, I hope I am wrong. IMHO, preseason or not this is the best our offense has looked in years...

Edited by mpl6876

Brohm is either going to be the 3rd string QB or get cut, kinda like I expected. I'm not certain as to what Gailey is thinking about him ATM so only Chan knows what he will do. I suppose it will also depend on how much money the Bills are paying him vs Edwards and Fitz

If I'm Brohm I'm hatin that tight end who flubbed a few passes and juggled the ball into the hands of the defender for the INT.

That INT that Brown threw looked like he was throwing to a spot in the end zone where the receiver was supposed to be...only problem is it didn't look like any Bill player was even anywhere near that area.

The ball looked under thrown to me, I don't know, maybe I'm being to critical. Given Evans size(I know he's a play maker),its just not the kind of throw I would advise.

I am however one of TE's biggest fans

dog, you should be doing figgin backflips over that deep passing play... you do realize it only took about 2 1/2 - 3 seconds for that play to develop,:w00t:

Evans to run 40 a yard go route down the sideline, 2nd and 10 from the Bills 6 yd line to catch the ball at the Bills 45 and end up at the 44 yd line of the Lions, great play, ballsy call, amazing catch. That is exactly the kind of play that will open up the passing and running game, they can't stack the box if there is a chance they will give up a big play like that. Now imagine CJ in the backfield and the defense worrying who is getting the ball, Spiller or Evans

If the Bills can throw deep off 3 second passing plays... it just might not matter how great the tackles play.

I just watched the replay on NFL Network and have come to the conclusion that Brohm got absolutely screwed by incompetent receivers like JP Foschi and Donald Jones (not to mention a sieve of an offensive line).

Three passes were right in the chest of Foschi-Jones and dropped (or bounced up in the air for an interception). On another play, Brohm escapes the pressure, rolls to his left and puts it right on the money to Jones 25 yards down field on the left sideline. Instead of coming back for the ball, Jones stands there and lets the defender come over his back to knock it away. Three of those four plays killed drives.

If there is any justice, Brohm will be the #3, Brown will clear waivers and go to the PS.

Edited by Commander

Brohm is either going to be the 3rd string QB or get cut, kinda like I expected. I'm not certain as to what Gailey is thinking about him ATM so only Chan knows what he will do. I suppose it will also depend on how much money the Bills are paying him vs Edwards and Fitz

If I'm Brohm I'm hatin that tight end who flubbed a few passes and juggled the ball into the hands of the defender for the INT.

That INT that Brown threw looked like he was throwing to a spot in the end zone where the receiver was supposed to be...only problem is it didn't look like any Bill player was even anywhere near that area.

The coaches don't care that the guy dropped the ball & it got intercepted. They're not looking at stats. Brohm's not getting cut because a TE messed up on a well thrown ball. If he gets cut it will be because he lacks the accuracy that a starting NFL QB has at this point in is career. The biggest weakness I've seen in Brohm's game is his lack of ability to judge where to throw it where it stays inbounds on a sideline pass. If the coaches think they can work with him he stays, if they think Levi has better potential, then Brohm goes. The INT on his stat sheet is irrelevant-the decision makers saw the play & will review the film & will completely exonerate Brohm for the INT.

Just watched the game. Other than the one pass to Jackson that was on the money and zipped, and a couple of runs. Brohm looks terrible. Passes were off the mark, slow to get there and he was delaying throwing even after receivers made cuts and were wide open. Any dropped balls were because they were weak and allowed the defender to get in or behind the receiver slightly. He had several that he just threw out of bounds. The INT was a late throw and behind Foschi. Foschi should have had it, but it was not a good throw at all. Brohm and Born are about the same level at this point and Brown has a much better arm. Brohm was terrible beyond a couple plays. No field awareness at all, and just doesn't comprehend the game in front of him. He didn't look like that two weeks ago, but against Detroit last night, he was aweful.

Here are the rules: Brohm cleared waivers in September, the Bills did not claim him. Once he cleared waivers he was free to sign with anyone, 53 man roster or practice squad. Obviously nobody was interested in having him on their 53 man roster last September because he cleared waivers & didn't sign with anyone else. Then GB offered him a spot on their practice squad and he accepted. Best case scenario-when they waived him GB told him if he cleared waivers they wanted him to sign and be on their practice squad. As a member of a practice squad, Brohm was basically a free agent who practiced with GB. He was free to sign a contract with any team willing to add him to their 53 man roster. When the Bills offered Brohm a contract he was free to sign with the Bills, he did not have to clear waivers a 2nd time.

forgive if someone else said this, but there's a lot of posts. the above is a good reason to keep him... if even BROHM is not claimed by another team after cut down day immediately, what makes anyone thing Levi Brown would be? Brown has shown little and certainly isn't going to stick out on the waived list any more than Brohm did last year.. probably less.

right now, Brohm is the better QB and Brown is unlikely to be claimed by a team that like us just had to make a bunch of hard cuts. you most likely don't cut someone that you otherwise kept, just to take the Bills 4th QB that you have barely even seen play. it could happen once other teams get injured QB's... but not right away.

Brohm has looked very competent. His passing has been accurate and with good velocity. He's made good decisions with his throws and runs. He'll be way above average as a third quarterback and probably a good second quarterback as well. Oh by the way, he's also young with all the tools and an excellent pedigree. He won't be cut to make way for Levi Brown. Brown will easily clear waivers and make it to the practice squad.

I suspect most of the disparaging remarks about Brohm's performance are a counter reaction to those who overhyped up Brohm as the starter or by those who are still insecure about their support of Trent Edwards.

No offense to Dean, I'm going to take a legit source's report on this and not yours. Link below.

Packers decline to match Bills' offer to Brohm

"The Packers offered to bring up Brohm to the 53-man roster but didn't match Buffalo's offer, which included a bonus. That might have sealed the decision for Brohm, a former second-round draft pick who surely wanted a fresh start as well after 1 1/2 disappointing years in Green Bay."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2009/11/qb-mike-reilly-signed-to-practice-squad.html

I read several reports that they matched the Bills offer. It's possible that the one he took was a second offer from the Bills. It's just like regular free agency. The player's agent calls on teams, fields offers, makes counter offers, etc.

For the sake of this conversation, does it really matter if GB "matched" the Bills offer? You posted:

Dean, do you really think they valued him at all?

I think ANY move to keep him (including keeping him on the PS) especially an offer to be on their roster is pretty solid evidence they placed some value on him. Was it the kind of value you might expect from a 2nd round QB? No. But the Pack wasn't in a typical situation, either.

But discounting this all, what the Pack did with Brohm shouldn't represent the bottom line on what BB can, or may, do. Teams do make misjudgments on players, from time to time.

I wasn't particularly happy with Brohm or the whole teams performance for that matter, TE played O.K. I suppose, but the long ball to Evans could have went either way and just as easily INT. The O-line starters looked shaky and If you had to grade them as a whole(starters/2nd/3rd string)) most folks would probably give them a failing grade.

The Running game looked dismal without CJ and maybe kelly the well balanced dog is correct, Spiller needs to start and stay on the field, he's our new age Thurman Thomas.

I will say this though, I missed half the friggin game :wallbash:

You guys tell me If I'm out of line here

Spot on...if you take away all the good plays he made, he looked pretty bad! :rolleyes:

As for Brohm, I liked what I saw of him.

Edited by Buftex

Just watched the game. Other than the one pass to Jackson that was on the money and zipped, and a couple of runs. Brohm looks terrible. Passes were off the mark, slow to get there and he was delaying throwing even after receivers made cuts and were wide open. Any dropped balls were because they were weak and allowed the defender to get in or behind the receiver slightly. He had several that he just threw out of bounds. The INT was a late throw and behind Foschi. Foschi should have had it, but it was not a good throw at all. Brohm and Born are about the same level at this point and Brown has a much better arm. Brohm was terrible beyond a couple plays. No field awareness at all, and just doesn't comprehend the game in front of him. He didn't look like that two weeks ago, but against Detroit last night, he was aweful.

Why do you insist on fabricating things. We understand you don't like Brohm, but to constantly make up stuff makes you look stupid.

If the guy has such a bad arm as you suggest, why was he drafted by the Colorado Rockies out of high school? Nobody with a weak arm ever gets drafted out of high school in MLB. So please STFU.

Edited by FreakPop

Ya know what, Bill? I'm hoping Brian gets cut now just so you will finally stfu! :nana:

P.S. Not really. 0:) (about Brian getting cut, I mean).

Yeah yeah yeah. I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but other than the one really nice pass and a couple runs, he was always behind the receiver, not seeing receivers and generally didn't look like he was seeing the field. He really looked pretty horrible last night. Anyone blaming the receivers really doesn't know what they were watching.

I just watched the first half of the game for the first time, and Brohm actually looked pretty good to me. Better than his stats would indicate. He made a few really good throws, and almost always knew what to do and where to go with the ball. His receivers, like most have said, really screwed him.

FWIW, on the only four plays I saw that Maybin played against the Lions starters in the first two series, he looked good on all four of them, without showing up on the stat sheet. Then looked good on a couple other plays in the first half. He has gotten better every game. He even showed some strength, and a couple nice plays in the run game, as well as a tackle on a KO.