Give me your take on Brian Brohm #4

Maybe I don't get it, but the QB decision is easy to me. You keep your (3) best QBs: Edwards, Fitzpatrick & Brohm. If you don't want to cut him, put Brown on the PS. If he is claimed by someone else, so what? He isn't a high draft pick and you can probably get somebody better as a free agent during the season anyway, if needed. If you like, you can always take another QB in the 7th round again next season...

The bolded statement is oxymoronic, you have to cut Brown to get him on the PS.

What if Chan was telling the truth yesterday and believes Brown has a future in the NFL? Why would he cut a player he believes could have a future just because he isn't ready in his rookie year? In 2000 the Patriots had drafted a QB in the 6th round who wasn't ready but they were afraid to expose him to waivers, so they kept 4 QBs that season. According to your post, they should have cut Brady in an attempt to put him on their PS & if he got claimed, they could just get another 6th round QB in 2001. Well in 2001 there were 2 6th round QBs-Josh Booty & Josh Heupel. Do you think the Patriots would have won even 1 Super Bowl with either Josh?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just utter nonsense. I don't even know why I'm responding. They have moved on, and are grooming Harrell as their long term THIRD guy. It appears they made a good choice on their #2 as Flynn threw for 300 yards yesterday.

I gotta agree with you on this.

Re: The articles: It does look like these reports conflict a bit but again, if they wanted him and looked at him as a future talent, they would have found a way to keep him and there is simply no way to argue that (not saying that thats your point). Either way, Brohm had an enormous opportunity with a new regime/playbook and he didn't impress. I would say he failed becuase he was beaten out by Trent and even worse, Fitz.

Why would he cut a player he believes could have a future just because he isn't ready in his rookie year?

Because you can only keep 53 players on the roster. I bet Chan cuts several players he thinks may have a future in the NFL.

And many teams carry three QBs. On some of those teams all three have to step up and play during the year. If one of them is Trent Edwards, the chances the other QBs will have to play is higher than on other teams. If Brown isn't ready to play this year (he isn't) then he really shouldn't be on the 53 man roster. There is a very good chance the Bills #3 QB sees some PT this season.

Because you can only keep 53 players on the roster. I bet Chan cuts several players he thinks may have a future in the NFL.

Seriously, you gottta give this up. There is simply no presidence for this happening to a QB who was drafted that high.

QB's are in a class of there own and THE most valuable players on every NFL team (except Buffalo).

Seriously, you gottta give this up. There is simply no presidence for this happening to a QB who was drafted that high.

QB's are in a class of there own and THE most valuable players on every NFL team (except Buffalo).

Where he was drafted is totally inconsequential here. You may think it makes a better story, but it is meaningless in this discussion. Trust me.

Edited by The Dean

The bolded statement is oxymoronic, you have to cut Brown to get him on the PS.

What if Chan was telling the truth yesterday and believes Brown has a future in the NFL? Why would he cut a player he believes could have a future just because he isn't ready in his rookie year? In 2000 the Patriots had drafted a QB in the 6th round who wasn't ready but they were afraid to expose him to waivers, so they kept 4 QBs that season. According to your post, they should have cut Brady in an attempt to put him on their PS & if he got claimed, they could just get another 6th round QB in 2001. Well in 2001 there were 2 6th round QBs-Josh Booty & Josh Heupel. Do you think the Patriots would have won even 1 Super Bowl with either Josh?

Please...

Who was the last QB taken in the 7th round to become a solid NFL starter? He hasn't shown any reason thus far to believe that he is currently better or has a better future than any of the other QBs on the roster, IMO. For every Tom Brady, there are 1,000 late round QB flops. Don't get hung up Brown with the hope that he's going to be a one in a thousand late round miracle, it's very, very unlikely. Keep the better players.

Where he was drafted is totally inconsequential here. You may think it makes a better story, but it is meaningless in this discussion. Trust me.

I would but you're wrong. There is not a QB who was drafted that high who gets cut before the start of his second year. Why? Because teams know that it takes rookie QB's more time than any other position so they must be patient. GB thought so much of Brohm that cut him before his 2nd year in football...what an endorsment of his skills. :rolleyes:

The other reason teams hold onto QB's for so long is trade value down the line. Much like what the Chargers did CW this year.

However, GB knew that he would be nothing and so did most of the NFL when they passed on him when their waiver # came up.

Seriously, you're arguing a point that makes no sense and is based on nothing but your opinions.

I would but you're wrong. There is not a QB who was drafted that high who gets cut before the start of his second year. Why? Because teams know that it takes rookie QB's more time than any other position so they must be patient. GB thought so much of Brohm that cut him before his 2nd year in football...what an endorsment of his skills. :rolleyes:

The other reason teams hold onto QB's for so long is trade value down the line. Much like what the Chargers did CW this year.

However, GB knew that he would be nothing and so did most of the NFL when they passed on him when their waiver # came up.

Seriously, you're arguing a point that makes no sense and is based on nothing but your opinions.

The entire conversation is about our opinion.

Okay, then tell me the last time a Qb was let go less than 2 years after be a high pick......seems like a fact to me. :thumbsup:

It may be a fact, but it is irrelevant to whether BB might have a decent NFL future. That's where you are simply confused. Players have been cut by teams before and done well. As has been noted, GB isn't really in the typical situation QB-wise. They have one of the best starting QBs in the league and a late round pick that ended up being fantastic and playing far better than many had expected.

You are using an irrelevant and trivial fact to support an opinion you have. Or are you telling me your opinion of Brohm is based on this fact alone, or primarily on this fact? Your opinion of BB isn't based on what you have seen of him, but on the basis that no QB this high has ever been let go? If that's the case, then who is really the one out there in this conversation?

It may be a fact, but it is irrelevant to whether BB might have a decent NFL future. That's where you are simply confused. Players have been cut by teams before and done well. As has been noted, GB isn't really in the typical situation QB-wise. They have one of the best starting QBs in the league and a late round pick that ended up being fantastic and playing far better than many had expected.

You are using an irrelevant and trivial fact to support an opinion you have. Or are you telling me your opinion of Brohm is based on this fact alone, or primarily on this fact? Your opinion of BB isn't based on what you have seen of him, but on the basis that no QB this high has ever been let go? If that's the case, then who is really the one out there in this conversation?

So when a team has depth at a position, the last player in becomes expendable regardless of talent? Even in your bong haziest of hazes you can't believe that. :lol:

What have you seen of him that I haven't? I watched the Atlanta game and the preseason games that he was allowed to play in this year. I saw a guy with a future as a backup and thats about it. He was beatin out badly by a very mediocre Qb in Trent and another underwhelming career backup in Fitz.

Keep the hope alive Deano. Your imagination is on full tonight.

I watched the Atlanta game and the preseason games that he was allowed to play in this year. I saw a guy with a future as a backup and thats about it.

Let's start here.

What if you thought he looked better than that? What if, in your assessment of his two preseason appearances, he looked to be reading the defenses well, have a strong arm with decent accuracy, seemed cool and collected in the huddle, did a decent job of avoiding the rush, etc. I'm not saying he did those things right now. I'm asking, "What if you saw that in BB's performance?" Would the fact that he was a 2nd round pick, and was released by GB convince you he couldn't be a decent backup and perhaps starter in the NFL?

Let's start here.

What if you thought he looked better than that? What if, in your assessment of his two preseason appearances, he looked to be reading the defenses well, have a strong arm with decent accuracy, seemed cool and collected in the huddle, did a decent job of avoiding the rush, etc. I'm not saying he did those things right now. I'm asking, "What if you saw that in BB's performance?" Would the fact that he was a 2nd round pick, and was released by GB convince you he couldn't be a decent backup and perhaps starter in the NFL?

First, I'm going to trust an organization's opinion who has the best track record of developing QB's. They developed Warner, Brunell and Aaron Brooks, Not to mention Favre and Rodgers. So I think they know a thing or two about QB's.

Secondly, not one team jumped on him when he was waived. To me, that is yet another indictment of Brohm's skills. Not even the Raiders considered him and they take on more than Ellis Island.

Lastly, his play has been exactly what I suspected, underwhelming. So your fantasy scenerio is completely irrelevant. His upside is as limited as the Packers thought it was when they let him walk.

Again, he had a huge opportunity and a clean slate. He failed and was beaten out by 2 QB's who wouldn't start for 31 other NFL teams.

First, I'm going to trust an organization's opinion who has the best track record of developing QB's. They developed Warner, Brunell and Aaron Brooks, Not to mention Favre and Rodgers. So I think they know a thing or two about QB's.

Secondly, not one team jumped on him when he was waived. To me, that is yet another indictment of Brohm's skills. Not even the Raiders considered him and they take on more than Ellis Island.

Lastly, his play has been exactly what I suspected, underwhelming. So your fantasy scenerio is completely irrelevant. His upside is as limited as the Packers thought it was when they let him walk.

Again, he had a huge opportunity and a clean slate. He failed and was beaten out by 2 QB's who wouldn't start for 31 other NFL teams.

I watched the game tape and I thought that Brohm had an outstanding game I did not see a mistake from him. There is no way I would release him based on what I saw. I think the Bills should keep all three vet OB's then cut Brown and let Brown clear waivers and sign him to the Practice Squad No one will pick up Brown at this stage of the season. The Bills can be in a position to trade a QB for a low round pick or a player at a position of need. Carrying 3 QB is no big deal there is not that much talent on this team. In addition I would leave at least two roster spots open to claim a OL or a TE from another team.

You can't/won't answer the question, so you lose. You have forfeited any standing in this discussion.

If you think that Brown is better than Brohm right now, you haven't been watching. If you think he has better potential, then why? What is it that you've seen Brown do that you don't think Brohm can and why?

If you think that Brown is better than Brohm right now, you haven't been watching. If you think he has better potential, then why? What is it that you've seen Brown do that you don't think Brohm can and why?

Don't ask him direct questions that force him to think critically. He has shown he isn't up to the task.

You can't/won't answer the question, so you lose. You have forfeited any standing in this discussion.

I love when you play the post-police. It's been a while.

If he played well I would be the first one to sing his praises. Actually, I thought he would be out Trent. Not only did he not beat out Trent, he never gave himself a shot and he's sitting by his phone tonight hoping he doesn't get a call while Fitzy sleeps like a baby.

Guest dog14787

The Packers drafted Brohm in the first place so they must have seen something they liked.

Brohm is a pocket QB and complete opposite of Rodgers so they would be in sharp contrast with each other, besides that, Rodgers could make anyone look inferior.

Just my personal opinion and pure speculation, but Brian Brohm kind of strikes me as a loner, with a cocky, gritty attitude and way about him that could rub folks the wrong way sometimes.