Give me your take on Brian Brohm #4

Are we NOW trusting GB judgement? You think they don't screw up?

This guy is still a young man, they don't all make it in the NFL in 2 years.

How about trusting Buddy Nix's judgement, he grabed him pretty quick.

You have no idea if Buddy had anything to do with bringing in Brohm, it could have been John Guy. The only conclusion one can make was that Jauron was comfortable with Hamdan & was not interested in bringing in Brohm to replace Hamdan. As soon as Dick was gone Hamdan was too & Brohm was in-all else is pure speculation.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no idea if Buddy had anything to do with bringing in Brohm, it could have been John Guy. T

You can be nearly positive it wasn't Guy. Guy might have made a recommendation, but Guy didn't unilaterally make player acquisitions.

it would really have been nice to eveluate him with the 1's, you want see him as a 1 not a 3, his teammates failed him bad.

I still think he stays and Levi heads to the PS!!

I doubt Brown would make it through to practice squad. I would waive Brohm he's not the answer either and won't play at #3 so keep Brown and let Brohm go.

I'm no huge Brohm fan, he looks adequate to me but this "the Packers gave him away" nonsense isn't true. He was placed on practice squad by the Pack and had to go through waivers where he was claimed by Buffalo. GB matched the Bills offer but Brohm chose to come to Buffalo because he felt he had a better chance of being a starter here.

Here are the rules: Brohm cleared waivers in September, the Bills did not claim him. Once he cleared waivers he was free to sign with anyone, 53 man roster or practice squad. Obviously nobody was interested in having him on their 53 man roster last September because he cleared waivers & didn't sign with anyone else. Then GB offered him a spot on their practice squad and he accepted. Best case scenario-when they waived him GB told him if he cleared waivers they wanted him to sign and be on their practice squad. As a member of a practice squad, Brohm was basically a free agent who practiced with GB. He was free to sign a contract with any team willing to add him to their 53 man roster. When the Bills offered Brohm a contract he was free to sign with the Bills, he did not have to clear waivers a 2nd time.

You have no idea if Buddy had anything to do with bringing in Brohm, it could have been John Guy. The only conclusion one can make was that Jauron was comfortable with Hamdan & was not interested in bringing in Brohm to replace Hamdan. As soon as Dick was gone Hamdan was too & Brohm was in-all else is pure speculation.

Bottom Line

Green bay knew it was a gamble-they lost

Buffalo may do the same with Brown.

Here are the rules: Brohm cleared waivers in September, the Bills did not claim him. Once he cleared waivers he was free to sign with anyone, 53 man roster or practice squad. Obviously nobody was interested in having him on their 53 man roster last September because he cleared waivers & didn't sign with anyone else. Then GB offered him a spot on their practice squad and he accepted. Best case scenario-when they waived him GB told him if he cleared waivers they wanted him to sign and be on their practice squad. As a member of a practice squad, Brohm was basically a free agent who practiced with GB. He was free to sign a contract with any team willing to add him to their 53 man roster. When the Bills offered Brohm a contract he was free to sign with the Bills, he did not have to clear waivers a 2nd time.

Once again, because it doesn't fit your argument, you fail to mention GB made BB a counter offer to get him to stay, after the Bills made their move.

Brohm is not going anywhere.

Why would Buffalo even entertain thoughts of signing Brohm off of GB practice squad if they thought Edwards was the answer?

Brohm will be the starter here sooner than later!

Because they thought he was better than Hamdan, he was brought in to replace Hamdan on the roster, not Edwards. Why wouldn't they want a guy with more upside than a guy who was destined to go to the CFL and retire before the season even began? Brohm makes sense as a developmental 3rd stringer, not a future starter. If Edwards fails the whole team fails & a 1st round QB is the future starter, not Brohm.

i have read every post on this thread. i just want to say that is was a nice experience to read different points of view, all good points holding their own merit, without the negative garbage and name calling and degenerate prose that we have seen on this board (and you know who you are!). good job to all of the posters here from an old school kind of guy.

Time will ultimately tell - but this is how I see it: Trent can make plays when he doesn't have a tricky blitz or multiple pressure coming at him. If he has time, he can make a play. But, when under pressure we've seen him fold, rely on the RB to a much too predictable percent - other teams will have those tendencies down and look for the picks. I hope Gailey has truly transformed Edwards confidence, and how he deals with pressure, because he's going to see a lot more of it in the regular season than he did in the preseason. I'm not sold on him totally yet. His throws, too, are not as quick, powerful, or decisive as Brohm's. Trent's throws take a little time to get there, so he's got to anticipate where the reciever will be and put it on the money. If the defense has an idea of where it's going to go, theres a chance they get there first. So, all those things could go wrong for Edwards - and, he might really evolve into a Montana type QB who has the touch and the handle.

As for Brohm and Fitz - I see fitz as a faster version of Edwards who is a little smaller and a lot less accurate - his accuracy is his real flaw - he just is always on and off, unpredictably. What separates Brohm, in my opinion, (and, I secretly think Edwards really fears Brohm much more than Fitz - I think you can see it on the sidelines, that Edwards knows he's got Fitz beat, but he can't duplicate some of what Brohm does), is that Brohm has a quick drop from the snap, makes quick reads and decisions, and then the ball shoots out of his hand like a laser. What I saw last night looked to me like good QB play - the best, I think, we saw all night from either team. He took the running lanes when there were good ones to take, he took chances when he was flushed out of the pocket, but not crazy risky ones. He got the ball to recievers at the right spot and on time in most cases ( a lot of drops and bad WR/TE play cost Brohm a great night). Another thing, and this was big to me. Our line isn't that great, and they are going to have penalties that set us up with 1st or 2nd and 20. Usually, when that happens with Edwards, we run it, or try to get back 5-8yrds at a time passing underneath - we take what they give us. But, when Brohm was in that situation, he repeatedly got us back 10-12 yards and set us up with managable 2nd and 3rd downs.

Throw in there Edwards history of doing poorly against 3-4 teams - and we'll see whether or not that has changed - Brohm might have the skill set necessary to - and different from the other types on this roster - succeed where our other guys cannot.

So, I say keep Trent, Brohm, and Fitz, or Trent, Brohm, and Brown.

Once again, because it doesn't fit your argument, you fail to mention GB made BB a counter offer to get him to stay, after the Bills made their move.

Dean, do you really think they valued him at all? Again, this a 2nd year QB who was a 2nd round pick the year before. TEAMS DO NOT GIVE PLAYERS OF VALUE UP, ESPECIALLY QB'S! Simple logic tells you that they saw nothing in him other than a warm body who knew the playbook. Seriously, Bills fans are so despreate.

i have read every post on this thread. i just want to say that is was a nice experience to read different points of view, all good points holding their own merit, without the negative garbage and name calling and degenerate prose that we have seen on this board (and you know who you are!). good job to all of the posters here from an old school kind of guy.

http://www.disboards.com/

:thumbsup:

Dean, do you really think they valued him at all? Again, this a 2nd year QB who was a 2nd round pick the year before. TEAMS DO NOT GIVE PLAYERS OF VALUE UP, ESPECIALLY QB'S! Simple logic tells you that they saw nothing in him other than a warm body who knew the playbook. Seriously, Bills fans are so despreate.

Would anyone really be ridiculing Brohm's talent if Green Bay were a team like virtually every other one in the league who keeps three QBs on their roster instead of two? Or if Rodgers or Flynn had suffered some kind of major, minor or freak injury that necessitated having another QB on their active roster which would have been Brohm?

I'm not saying he is all that great, or even good. I actually don't even know what I want the Bills to do with the three guys behind Edwards. None of the options are great and none totally suck. Whichever one is eventually chosen is kind of a 51-49 kind of decision. But Brohm has shown some stuff in this pre-season that makes me believe he doesn't stink at all, and he has at least a chance to be a good QB in this league.

Let's try this again. After the Bills made their offer to Brohm, GB made a counter offer to keep him. Did they value him "at all"? I think that is POSITIVE PROOF they did. You don't keep someone on the PS if you have ZERO use for them and you certainly don't make him a counter offer.

The Bills waived Fred Jackson in 2006 (I can't remember if he was on the PS). Does that mean they had NO interest in him, didn't value him and (by your logic) mean he is worthless as an NFL player?

Because they thought he was better than Hamdan, he was brought in to replace Hamdan on the roster, not Edwards. Why wouldn't they want a guy with more upside than a guy who was destined to go to the CFL and retire before the season even began? Brohm makes sense as a developmental 3rd stringer, not a future starter. If Edwards fails the whole team fails & a 1st round QB is the future starter, not Brohm.

Quite frankly this lame excuse does not make one bit of sense.

TE played O.K. I suppose, but the long ball to Evans could have went either way and just as easily INT.

An interception is nearly always a possibility on a long pass, no matter the QB, no matter the team. It takes time to develop, it takes time for the ball to get there, and thus the defenders have more time to judge the throw and react. It's generally a high risk/high reward play. Pretty exciting though when it works.

I think Fitz and Brohm are pretty much equal as far as talent and showing what they have goes, but I suspect Fitz will be the backup, and I am pretty darn sure we'll want to keep Brown. I'm seeing Brohm being cut and possibly coming back on the taxi squad.

I don't think Fitz has anywhere near the talent of Brohm. What he has is experience, and I think that is what keeps him as number 2 for now. I could be worng about this, but I do not believe Brohm is eligible for the practice squad, while it is the right place for Brown. Highly unlikley anyone would pick up Brown at this point and put him on an active roster as a number 3.

Let's try this again. After the Bills made their offer to Brohm, GB made a counter offer to keep him. Did they value him "at all"? I think that is POSITIVE PROOF they did. You don't keep someone on the PS if you have ZERO use for them and you certainly don't make him a counter offer.

The Bills waived Fred Jackson in 2006 (I can't remember if he was on the PS). Does that mean they had NO interest in him, didn't value him and (by your logic) mean he is worthless as an NFL player?

No offense to Dean, I'm going to take a legit source's report on this and not yours. Link below.

Packers decline to match Bills' offer to Brohm

"The Packers offered to bring up Brohm to the 53-man roster but didn't match Buffalo's offer, which included a bonus. That might have sealed the decision for Brohm, a former second-round draft pick who surely wanted a fresh start as well after 1 1/2 disappointing years in Green Bay."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2009/11/qb-mike-reilly-signed-to-practice-squad.html

No offense to Dean, I'm going to take a legit source's report on this and not yours. Link below.

Packers decline to match Bills' offer to Brohm

"The Packers offered to bring up Brohm to the 53-man roster but didn't match Buffalo's offer, which included a bonus. That might have sealed the decision for Brohm, a former second-round draft pick who surely wanted a fresh start as well after 1 1/2 disappointing years in Green Bay."

http://www.greenbayp...tice-squad.html

I read several reports that they matched the Bills offer. It's possible that the one he took was a second offer from the Bills. It's just like regular free agency. The player's agent calls on teams, fields offers, makes counter offers, etc.