Official Huricane Earl Thread

Last I saw, they were saying we might get a piece of it here in Boston on friday. I'm supposed to be flying to Buffalo at around 1 that day, so I think that just about guarantees that Earl will in fact hit the east coast.

Earl and possibly Fiona are projected to skirt the East coast from N.C. northward

I am not a meteorologist... But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time...:D IMO, Fiona will stay further out like Danielle did because of that second high pressure system... It is that trough that has me worried between the two and why I think Earl may come closer to the coast... The first high pushes well out to see.

It is a double-edged sword. The second high moves in faster and Earl is pushed out... Then Fiona becomes may be nearer (depending on what happens behind it)... Stays slower and Earl is further west. There are 2 low systems in Canada.

I am not a meteorologist... But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time...:D IMO, Fiona will stay further out like Danielle did because of that second high pressure system... It is that trough that has me worried between the two and why I think Earl may come closer to the coast... The first high pushes well out to see.

It is a double-edged sword. The second high moves in faster and Earl is pushed out... Then Fiona becomes may be nearer (depending on what happens behind it)... Stays slower and Earl is further west. There are 2 low systems in Canada.

After Andrew I never trusted hurricanes unless they were well above 26 N. Although one did loop around and come back south once.

I'm reading now that because Fiona is coming in fast behind Earl, Earl may actually kind of suck it in and break it apart.

The NYC area may get a glancing blow of rain and wind, which guarantees that every tv network will jump into around-the-clock storm coverage. Looking forward to seeing the reporters standing out in a rain shower and light breeze and trying to make it seem like the storm of the century.

I'm reading now that because Fiona is coming in fast behind Earl, Earl may actually kind of suck it in and break it apart.

The NYC area may get a glancing blow of rain and wind, which guarantees that every tv network will jump into around-the-clock storm coverage. Looking forward to seeing the reporters standing out in a rain shower and light breeze and trying to make it seem like the storm of the century.

Hopefully Roker can put all the weight back on before he stands out there in those winds. That's always a hilarious sight.

What ya think? Places like NJ... NYC are on the list for "long overdue" to get slammed by a hurricane. Two high pressure systems dominate the US... Will the second block and protect the coast?

The high over the Shenandoah valley isn't going anywhere soon. That'll direct Earl out to sea; probably Fiona as well.

The surf along the Outer Banks should be impressive as hell Friday, though.

The high over the Shenandoah valley isn't going anywhere soon. That'll direct Earl out to sea; probably Fiona as well.

I was out there when a hurricane flew by a couple of years ago. It was downright scary and I love big surf.

I dunno, that high over the Shenandoah might push it to the east but Fiona might push it to the west and cancel each other out. Resulting in a slow northerly path, or it getting stuck kind of like that Nor'Easter last November

I am hoping it hits CT! North Carolina is going to get rocked. Hopefully this one tracks like Hurricane Gloria. Come to CT Earl! New England is lovely this time of year!

Hell, why not? We weren't planning to go anywhere this weekend anyway. I'll work from home on Friday in case I need to batten down any hatches.

Thanks! That is what I was wondering... When it was further west it was so nice... What a nice long spell of "high and dry" we did have... It is still going on... May get a thunder or too later tonight.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois