I Cringe On Kickoffs

Fitzmagic

Let me say that I miss Bobby April right now. Bruce DeHaven and his coverage unit is absolutely terrible. Just wanted to vent.

Other than that - Trent looked great yesterday! :thumbsup:

Special teams last year were not so great. Coverage was average and the return game wasn't much either.

This makes me wonder if they're going to use PS Game 4 to tune up the STs.

I don't know if it's the combination of players they've been using, whether guys are too new and unsure of their assignments, or what, but they certainly look very rag-tag out there.

This - and our run defense are two top priorities, IMO. They can't fix either in a week, but they've got to start finding some answers and soon.

I agree that the special teams units have been a glaring weakness on this team so far, but I don't know that I would blame Bruce DeHaven just yet. Chan Gailey has made it known that he is not going to keep "special teams only" players on this roster. That really limits the personnel that Bruce has to work with. We will all be missing guys like John Wendling and Justin Jenkins.

Yep. It wasn't pretty. Not only was our coverage horrible, every time we got the KO you just knew we were going to try and return it right up the middle. There was one time when the ball came down to Jones and Leodis put his hand out to tell Jones to stay in the endzone. Jones had a clear shot for at least 20 yards, probably more. :wallbash:

Let me say that I miss Bobby April right now. Bruce DeHaven and his coverage unit is absolutely terrible. Just wanted to vent.

Other than that - Trent looked great yesterday! :thumbsup:

I feel your pain, I was covering my eyes myself

This may be one area where it's legitimately hard to judge from preseason.

Reason: coach wants to focus on evaluation 2nd and 3rd stringers playing O and D.

special teams get the dregs, esp. on coverage

Give ST a few weeks to gel with a reasonably firm roster during the season b4 you despair

Yep. It wasn't pretty. Not only was our coverage horrible, every time we got the KO you just knew we were going to try and return it right up the middle. There was one time when the ball came down to Jones and Leodis put his hand out to tell Jones to stay in the endzone. Jones had a clear shot for at least 20 yards, probably more. :wallbash:

And yet last year everyone complained because they would take it out of the endzone..........

The problem is, the players that have been great on special teams were nothing more then special teams players that were not great at other positions. The DJ era was all about keeping guys just for Special teams, this coaching staff muct feel that offence and defence are more important then special teams and aren't going to waste roster spots on special team only players

1] One thing we may have to live with was that Jauron was very willing to keep 2-3 players on the active roster he knew weren't going to make it on the field (Wendling, Jenkins et al) because they were good ST guys. That's a trade off. You lose a roster spot for a position player but your ST are a little better. I'm not sure Gailey is willing to do that, or should do that. We may have to live with a couple yards worse on average on the returns against us. But that may be worth it overall to have another RB or WR or LB or whatever that will play and make plays and not be on the bench. Like I said, it's a trade off all teams have to make.

2] We really have to give DeHaven the benefit of the doubt until he has his guys on the 45 man active day roster playing in real games. Yes, we have looked terrible on coverage, and a lot of it was bad plays by guys who are going to be on the team. But there is such mixing and matching in pre-season it's not really fair to evaluate them as units or individuals or coaches until the real bullets fly. I remain skeptical but we don't know who is going to be out there. Hell, DeHaven doesn't know who is going to be out there until the final cuts are made.

3] Some of these guys, too, are rookies who have never played a lot of special teams because they were stars in college. A guy like Moats and Joique Bell have looked shaky on some plays I have watched them on coverage units. But they may make the team and they may be out there when the season starts and it may take them a few games to understand how it all works.

4] We as fans are acting as if ST were all coverage units. IMO, our FG team will likely be excellent. I'm not at all worried yet about our PR and KR team because we have stud returners (who, granted, will need blocking) and havent even used Spiller much. Moorman is still a great punter and if he needs to kick a little higher or OB he will. It's really our KO team that and our P coverage that has looked bad. Give it some time.

Maybe later we can begin to panic.

The problem is, the players that have been great on special teams were nothing more then special teams players that were not great at other positions. The DJ era was all about keeping guys just for Special teams, this coaching staff muct feel that offence and defence are more important then special teams and aren't going to waste roster spots on special team only players

Good point.