Brohm this Saturday

Coach55

My bet is the following - Gailey already has his decision on what the QB situation is. I have a strong feeling that he is going to only have Brohm play on Saturday and if he shines will cut Fitz when they cut down to 75. If Brohm plays poorly, Fitz will get one last shot to prove himself as he will man up most of game 4 in pre-season.

This would give Fitz a chance to sign with another team before the season starts if Gailey is sure on Brohm. It will also give the Bills more time to assess the other fringe players.

My bet is the following - Gailey already has his decision on what the QB situation is. I have a strong feeling that he is going to only have Brohm play on Saturday and if he shines will cut Fitz when they cut down to 75. If Brohm plays poorly, Fitz will get one last shot to prove himself as he will man up most of game 4 in pre-season.

This would give Fitz a chance to sign with another team before the season starts if Gailey is sure on Brohm. It will also give the Bills more time to assess the other fringe players.

Gailey also seems to be a nice guy so if he has already made up his mind he would be inclined to let the one who is getting cut play so he can have some more film to shop himself around with. You never know what goes on in the head of a HC this time of year. :)

From that article.

Edwards' play in 2009 reignited the dreaded quarterback debate: Should the Bills start him, Fitzpatrick, Brohm — or dump all of them? The trio entered camp ranked in that order, and Gailey says, "No one has done anything extremely good or extremely bad to change the position, but that could change.

So it looks like Brohm is 3. Hmmm. if they are only keeping 3, and Brown is likely one of them, what does that mean?

Gailey also seems to be a nice guy so if he has already made up his mind he would be inclined to let the one who is getting cut play so he can have some more film to shop himself around with. You never know what goes on in the head of a HC this time of year. :)

This is not the first time someone has written this.

Someone else likened him to that favorite uncle. Another person said he's the kind of guy who'd help you change a flat tire.

I think all of this is a bit of a reach…ascribing a certain character because the guy looks a bit older than his 58 years and because of his down to earth demeanor.

But I see a guy (based on numerous interviews with the media) who is very competitive, impatient by nature (except he's older and has acquired some), doesn't suffer fools and can lose his temper pretty easily (remember his first presser when asked about his heart attack).

I would not characterize Gailey as a "nice guy." I think he's fair. But he's tough, a stern taskmaster, and a very competitive person.

His actions will be determined solely by what is best for the football team, IMO…not being a nice guy to the players.

From that article.

Edwards' play in 2009 reignited the dreaded quarterback debate: Should the Bills start him, Fitzpatrick, Brohm — or dump all of them? The trio entered camp ranked in that order, and Gailey says, "No one has done anything extremely good or extremely bad to change the position, but that could change.

So it looks like Brohm is 3. Hmmm. if they are only keeping 3, and Brown is likely one of them, what does that mean?

What I can't understand is why Brown woul d even be considered over Brohm or Fitz as a #3. Why not hold onto 3 best and maybe one day we would need that QB, especially with our OL to actually play?

From that article.

I believe the article is wrong on this point. Edwards came in at #1 and Brown came in at #4, but Fitz and Brohm have split #2 duty equally. Also, if I recall correctly, that quote was from a week or two ago.

What I can't understand is why Brown woul d even be considered over Brohm or Fitz as a #3. Why not hold onto 3 best and maybe one day we would need that QB, especially with our OL to actually play?

The gamble with Brown is that Chix believe he could be "developed" into a top-level QB. If they truly believe he has that potential, they won't risk him on waivers to put on the practice squad. Thus he gets a free pass.

Guest dog14787

I believe the article is wrong on this point. Edwards came in at #1 and Brown came in at #4, but Fitz and Brohm have split #2 duty equally. Also, if I recall correctly, that quote was from a week or two ago.

The gamble with Brown is that Chix believe he could be "developed" into a top-level QB. If they truly believe he has that potential, they won't risk him on waivers to put on the practice squad. Thus he gets a free pass.

He was a 7th round draft pick, do you honestly think anybody cares what Buffalo does, and what has Brown done to attract attention, zero (not saying he's played bad)

Levi Brown is going on the practice squad in my opinion, one injury puts Fitz or Brohm on the field starting, two injuries, puts the back up in and Levi Brown is no where near ready to play.

The only QB in any danger of getting cut when they go down to 75 is Levi Brown. Gailey would be crazy to cut Fitzpatrick or Brohm with another exhibition game coming up. What if one of the 3 vets gets a major injury in the last exhibition game? Do the Bills want to let a vet go at 75? Hell no! Your responsibility as head coach is to the team, not some guy who you might need a week later. The Bills will cut down their QBs when they go to 53 & when they do, Fitzpatrick will still be here.

It would be nice to give guys a chance to catch on with other teams, but the way our injuries are going I don't think we have that luxury.

But Edwards has already played more than most starters. He'll get his series or quarter, but if Chan is still undecided about BB and RF, then he'll probably limit the known quantity and give more time to those two -- especially if he can get some time for them against Cincy's 1s.

Edwards is what Edwards is. I think CG is done over-thinking that one.

But Edwards has already played more than most starters. He'll get his series or quarter, but if Chan is still undecided about BB and RF, then he'll probably limit the known quantity and give more time to those two -- especially if he can get some time for them against Cincy's 1s.

Edwards is what Edwards is. I think CG is done over-thinking that one.

Right but theres also a new offense, and learning that offense is far far far more important than deciding who holds the clipboard. Think about it from a coaches standpoint. #1 needs reps bc he's gonna be your guy.

The only QB in any danger of getting cut when they go down to 75 is Levi Brown. Gailey would be crazy to cut Fitzpatrick or Brohm with another exhibition game coming up. What if one of the 3 vets gets a major injury in the last exhibition game? Do the Bills want to let a vet go at 75? Hell no! Your responsibility as head coach is to the team, not some guy who you might need a week later. The Bills will cut down their QBs when they go to 53 & when they do, Fitzpatrick will still be here.

I can't see Gailey cutting the one and only QB he brought in. I think Fitz is the most vulnerable one out of the 4 of them. I can totally see your logic, Albany, and if you prove to be correct, I won't be all that surprised. The fact that he drafted Levi Brown is the only reason I think he's here to stay this year.

Brohm will be second QB to play on Saturday. TE will start the season as #1. Brohm will be #2. Brown will go to the practice squad, while Fitz gets cut. But we can always get Fitz back if TE or BB gets hurt as no one will pick Fitz up. If Fitz is the second QB in on Saturday I will change my opinion.

They may keep all three QB's and assign Brown to the practice squad.

Gailey is going to do what is best for the Buffalo Bills and not what is best for a player who may be cut. If Gailey did anything else, he'd be a fool. If he is planning on cutting a guy already in his mind, then I wouldn't expect that player to get any playing time at all -- and that is exactly as it SHOULD be. It helps the organization in no way to play someone they will cut. The ONLY way it could help Buffalo is if the player was trade-worthy, but I don't think that is the case here. And if he goes out and has a great showing, then you have to re-evaluate the idea of keeping the player anyhow.

Right but theres also a new offense, and learning that offense is far far far more important than deciding who holds the clipboard. Think about it from a coaches standpoint. #1 needs reps bc he's gonna be your guy.

Agreed. My point only comes close to making sense if the problem you're focusing on most is which QB to keep and which to cut.

If CG has already made up his mind to keep 3 and put LB on the PS, then you go with a standard 3rd preseason game approach. If he's already decided BB or RF is getting cut then there's no need to play him -- even if you're not cutting him till the last moment.

No trade value for RF or BB, so that discussion is futile.