KC Chiefs - Dorsey and Jackson

Most Bills fans destroy Aaron Maybin on the boards but we are not the only team that has not hit a homerun with our first round picks. The KC Chiefs selected Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson with top 10 picks (Dorsey No.5 in 2008, Jackson No. 3 in 2009) and while listening to Sirius NFL Radio I heard that both players are in danger of not starting.

Does this give me comfort? No but at least our front office isn't the only one that screws up. We all know that Maybin has to prove something this season in order to avoid being a bust. Hopefully George Edwards and Chan can groom him, because from what I remember of the draft, Maybin was raw and needed to develop. I would like to end that when I heard his name announced I had to stop chanting Orakpo whom I thought they would take. My buddy, a Redskins fan sitting next to me made one comment "Excellent, Orakpo will be ours!"

You say it doesn't give you comfort but it obviously does because you are obviously trying to justify the bills ****ty drafting. So you feel okay about the bills ****ty drafting because other teams suck at it too? really? well at least we aren't the only ones guys, the chiefs suck too..but that's not comforting. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we've had some pretty crappy drafts this entire decade. Either Orakpo or Oher would have been better picks than Maybin, just like Ngata would have been a better pick for the viability of the franchise than Whitner.

Oh well.

One thing of note: The Bills are the only team to keep its biggest baffoon on draft day: Tom Modrak.

KC went out and hired Patriots GM Scott Pioli, and Washington now has Bruce Allen. True, we have Nix (whom I like), but why do the Bills insist on retaining Modrak?

Bad Draft picks happen....Get over it....its done....

Yes.

But we're talking about a DECADE of bad draft picks....

*Paid for by the Committee to Fire Tom Modrak

The Bills are the only team to keep its biggest buffoon on draft day: Tom Modrak.

KC went out and hired Patriots GM Scott Pioli, and Washington now has Bruce Allen. True, we have Nix (whom I like), but why do the Bills insist on retaining Modrak?

I'm not defending the guy necessarily. Just trying to formulate some theories on why Modrak may have been kept around.

Modrak was brought in by Tom Donahoe. He probably had a lot of input but we all know Donahoe was an autocrat and ultimately probably made all the decisions himself.

When Marv came in, he built the "consensus model" which was the opposite of Donahoe's model. There has been a steady stream of rumors that Ralphie himself had draft input and recurring rumors that Dick Jauron had the biggest say in our drafts.

Russ Brandon had one year at the helm, stating that he would continue the "consensus" approach.

It's possible (and I've read stories on how teams make picks that completely disregard the input of their own scouts) that Modrak has only served to bring scouting reports to the table and that he's never had any say as to who we actually draft. Just a theory.

Glenn Dorsey is busting? Add his name to that of Amobi Okoye and to a lesser degree, Sedrick Ellis. All were highly rated and picked nose tackles who have failed to live up to expectations.

I loved Tyson Jackson at LSU but I thought KC took him way too high. They felt he was another Richard Seymour. Still, I'm surprised Jackson's not thriving. I thought he was a can't miss prospect.

Anyways, the idea of building through the trenches is nice, if you pick the right players.

Look at how the Steelers have snared Ziggy Hood and Maurkice Pouncey late in the first round the last two years. Those guys are true building blocks they got for cheap.

Most Bills fans destroy Aaron Maybin on the boards but we are not the only team that has not hit a homerun with our first round picks. The KC Chiefs selected Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson with top 10 picks (Dorsey No.5 in 2008, Jackson No. 3 in 2009) and while listening to Sirius NFL Radio I heard that both players are in danger of not starting.

Does this give me comfort? No but at least our front office isn't the only one that screws up. We all know that Maybin has to prove something this season in order to avoid being a bust. Hopefully George Edwards and Chan can groom him, because from what I remember of the draft, Maybin was raw and needed to develop. I would like to end that when I heard his name announced I had to stop chanting Orakpo whom I thought they would take. My buddy, a Redskins fan sitting next to me made one comment "Excellent, Orakpo will be ours!"

EVERY team in the league drafts players that don't pan out for whatever reason. EVERY team. Has always been that way and will continue to be that way. How is Chad Jackson on the Bills? He tanked in New England. I could go on and on. Maybin might or he might not. That's life.

Yeah. Lots of other front offices make terrible decisions too. Great point.

(In fairness, Dorsey was picked by the old regime and is not an obvious fit for their defense).

One thing of note: The Bills are the only team to keep its biggest baffoon on draft day: Tom Modrak.

Well, other than what has been stated above and, I am not making the biggest defense here, but to be fair Allen was always going where Shanahan was going and I'm pretty sure regardless of what they thought about him all the money in the world was not going to drag Pioli to Buffalo.

I love the Bills, but I also understand that given our circumstances (Owner, lack of talent, location, market size) only a certain number of players and front office personnel would consider coming here.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Dorsey is a disruptive 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 DE or NT which is the positions he's being played at. Jackson will be an excellent DE in the 3-4 before it's all said and done. Yes, every team has made bad picks. Yes, every team has their own personal bust list. Yes, a monkey would've chosen Ngata over Whitner and Orakpo over Maybin if given the opportunity, but Ralph didn't want to put him on the payroll. Either way, you are a fan that is optimistic, realistic, or a whiny (insert your own). It is what it is and we hope it gets better.

Yeah, we've had some pretty crappy drafts this entire decade. Either Orakpo or Oher would have been better picks than Maybin, just like Ngata would have been a better pick for the viability of the franchise than Whitner.

Oh well.

I think it was way too late to address Modrak last year. Most of the work to evaluate players had been done. It made more sense to keep him. Based on who we drafted, I'm happy, or at the very least intrigued with this years draft. So based on that I'm not sure Modrak will or should go anywhere.

Lots of teams even good organizations (Not just the Bills and the Chiefs) miss on draft picks. Its just wither or not you miss more then you hit or hit more then you miss. Also on what positions are you hitting on and what positions are you missing on. If we picked Orakpo or Oher our team would have one less hole in it. If we picked Mangold over McCargo (Say what you will about the Whitner over Ngata pick at least Whitner provides something to the team) we would have a much better O-line.

Any team could go on and on about the players they should have drafted you kind of just have to move on and let it go what's done is done. All we can hope is that Maybin becomes a productive pass rusher (I would jump for joy if he had 4 sacks this season) and that the players we drafted this season work out as well (Carrington and Troup become fixtures on the D-line while Spiller is a dynamic offensive player).