Haynesworth is not happy in Washington

Skoobydum

This example only solidifies PtR's stance, IMO. Manning is the lone exception, not the rule. He is a very unique player.

Manning truly is the best at his position, and probably the best player in the entire league. To expect that anyone else would be as good, even only at their own position, is ridiculous. To throw $100mil contracts at players like Nate Clements and Albert Haynesworth is foolish. No one else in the league (that I know of) has the work ethic, dedication, and talent to go with it, that Peyton has.

I guess I should have been more clear: name a free agent signing that panned out.

PTR

There are lots of them. The Bills hit big twice in one year back in 1995 with Paup and Ted Washington. A lot of teams acquire good players. But don't let reality get in the way of your story.

That's not the Bills problem though. Their problem is not retaining their own talent.

By letting guys like Pat Williams, Nate Clements, London Fletcher and Lawyer Milloy go they sacrificed seasons of good play by experienced veterans and ended up having to draft and "develop" guys like John McCargo, Leodis McKelvin, Poz and Donte Whitner to replace them.

That's a lot of not-so-high impact first day picks and only an idiot would suggest that the current group of Bills has played anywhere near the level of the others since their departure.

By not "overpaying" those veteran players the Bills ended up with a bunch of early round reaches for need at positions that should have already been filled. How bad at drafting would the Bills have to be to not be a better team the past few seasons with those veterans in place and those draft picks used to address other positions?

That is cheapness, Buffalo Bills style. Not passing on a $100M FA DT.

There are lots of them. The Bills hit big twice in one year back in 1995 with Paup and Ted Washington. A lot of teams acquire good players. But don't let reality get in the way of your story.

That's not the Bills problem though. Their problem is not retaining their own talent.

By letting guys like Pat Williams, Nate Clements, London Fletcher and Lawyer Milloy go they sacrificed seasons of good play by experienced veterans and ended up having to draft and "develop" guys like John McCargo, Leodis McKelvin, Poz and Donte Whitner to replace them.

That's a lot of not-so-high impact first day picks and only an idiot would suggest that the current group of Bills has played anywhere near the level of the others since their departure.

By not "overpaying" those veteran players the Bills ended up with a bunch of early round reaches for need at positions that should have already been filled. How bad at drafting would the Bills have to be to not be a better team the past few seasons with those veterans in place and those draft picks used to address other positions?

I really have to spell out every word, don't I! HOW MANY FREE AGENT SIGNINGS THAT PAID THAT PLAYER THE MOST MONEY EVER FOR THAT POSITION HAVE PANNED OUT????? Am I clear now?

PTR

I really have to spell out every word, don't I! HOW MANY FREE AGENT SIGNINGS THAT PAID THAT PLAYER THE MOST MONEY EVER FOR THAT POSITION HAVE PANNED OUT????? Am I clear now?

PTR

The Drayton Florence free agent signing seems to be working out really well.

Just kidding. :)

This example only solidifies PtR's stance, IMO. Manning is the lone exception, not the rule. He is a very unique player.

Manning truly is the best at his position, and probably the best player in the entire league. To expect that anyone else would be as good, even only at their own position, is ridiculous. To throw $100mil contracts at players like Nate Clements and Albert Haynesworth is foolish. No one else in the league (that I know of) has the work ethic, dedication, and talent to go with it, that Peyton has.

Revis said to tell you to stop this nonsense until he gets paid. :pirate:

The Drayton Florence free agent signing seems to be working out really well.

You got me. :thumbsup:

So wait, you're saying the Bills would have been better off paying Clements the $10M/year he got from SF? And what exactly did he do for them? You really weakened your argument including him on the list, not that the otehrs are much better.

Pat Williams was Donohoe's mistake - he was wrong to believe someone could still have so much time left in the league at that size. That was an age (mis) judgement, not a money one. Flecther also hung on longer than expected, although that was more a complaint about style from a dumb coach.

Milloy was on the downside of his career - he was old when we brought him in as a FA.

PTR

I thought it was clear what you were getting at (after the clarification) but I KNEW someone wouldn't be able to put 2 + 2 together (and get to 4, that is).

Here's the thing. Sometimes that biggest contract ever is only the biggest for a year, or so. So Nate Clements might qualify in this category. He isn't the best CB in football, but he is now nowhere near the highest paid, either. Winfield is clearly a guy who delivered on his big contract (don't know if it was the biggest at the time).

The problem is some people think if you get the biggest contract, you should have to be the best at that position. That simply doesn't jive with the reality of the NFL. As already mentioned, one year's huge contract is merely large a couple of years later. Or, a very good FA might be worth more to a team desperate for a player at that position than to the team he was with, or a team who already has a "better" player under contract.

So wait, you're saying the Bills would have been better off paying Clements the $10M/year he got from SF? And what exactly did he do for them? You really weakened your argument including him on the list, not that the otehrs are much better.

Actually Clements is the perfect example for my previous point. He wasn't worth that kind of $$ to the Bills, as the Bills had very capable DBs to take over. OTOH, Clements is still a fine CB, and isn't anywhere near the highest paid CB in the league (at least I don't think he is anymore). To a young D, desperate for a veteran quality CB, Nate might have been worth that kind of investment. One can't judge these things in a vacuum and w/o CONTEXT.

Milloy was on the downside of his career - he was old when we brought him in as a FA.

Agreed.

Ironically, he's still a starting safety in this league with Seattle at the age of 36.

But except for his first game as a Buffalo Bill, his Bills career was pretty underwhelming and he's never lived up to the rep that he built in New England.

Agreed.

Ironically, he's still a starting safety in this league with Seattle at the age of 36.

But except for his first game as a Buffalo Bill, his Bills career was pretty underwhelming and he's never lived up to the rep that he built in New England.

The memories from that first game probably made his signing worth it. I'm not sure we've had as good a game since.