At what point do you cut your losses with Maybin?

I have my own time frame with Maybin but yours may be different.

At some point YOU have to cut your losses and move on...........

Personally, I give him this season and perhaps one more preseason to drastically improve, after that, SEE YA!

I am all for patience, but we need more from a #1 draft pick. It's money vs production

There is no right or wrong answer with a time frame to cut ties, it depends on your patience level. :devil:

Your opinion is important to me and I respect your thoughts on the matter.

GO BILLS!

-DIEHARD 1967

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I give him this season and perhaps one more preseason to drastically improve, after that, SEE YA!

I am all for patience, but we need more from a #1 draft pick.

There is no right or wrong answer with a time frame to cut ties, it depends on your patience level. :devil:

-DIEHARD 1967

I give him until the last preseason of this year. If he does not outplay the other OLBs - then he simply becomes a backup. If a starting OLB gets injured - he needs to step to the plate.

I hope to god that Maybin wakes up in these next two games.

If you are the coach or GM you have to ask "Do I see the light at the end of the tunnel? Is there an upside here that is realistic?"

I assume Buddy and Chan ask these things of all under-performing players on a regular basis.

The guy has big speed, seemingly a great work ethic and he's VERY young (the 2nd youngest player on the team, I think).

While he didn't light it up in the first game, he showed plenty of speed and stick-to-itiveness. On Thursday he didn't show much at all in his limited time with the scrubs.

Maybe they have already made their decision and he isn't in their plans. Or maybe they have decided he is going to be a situational player this year.

Calling him names, questioning his character, etc are simply stupid reactions from fans who didn't like him as the draft pick, it seems.

I give him until the last preseason of this year. If he does not outplay the other OLBs - then he simply becomes a backup. If a starting OLB gets injured - he needs to step to the plate.

I hope to god that Maybin wakes up in these next two games.

I agree with you!

If you are the coach or GM you have to ask "Do I see the light at the end of the tunnel? Is there an upside here that is realistic?"

I assume Buddy and Chan ask these things of all under-performing players on a regular basis.

The guy has big speed, seemingly a great work ethic and he's VERY young (the 2nd youngest player on the team, I think).

While he didn't light it up in the first game, he showed plenty of speed and stick-to-itiveness. On Thursday he didn't show much at all in his limited time with the scrubs.

Maybe they have already made their decision and he isn't in their plans. Or maybe they have decided he is going to be a situational player this year.

Calling him names, questioning his character, etc are simply stupid reactions from fans who didn't like him as the draft pick, it seems.

I am not angry with the selection, we just need to see something soon!

Keep him forever. I enjoy the natural scent of human sweat feeding bacteria. A stench to some is a flower to others.

I am all for patience, but we need more from a #1 draft pick. It's money vs production

Your opinion is important to me and I respect your thoughts on the matter.

GO BILLS!

-DIEHARD 1967

i believe i heard chan say that he thinks maybins pass rushing skills are there, but he needs to do more to get on the field on 1st and 2nd downs, against the run. Which may explain why he is playing with the scrubs, to offer him more playing time in general. Idk. I don't have any problem with him, he works hard.

Its just like any other player. He can have all the athletic ability in the world, but if he's an awful football player and shows no real sign of improving, at some point the cost of keeping him on the roster starts to outweigh that potential. Are we to that point yet with Maybin? In my opinion, probably not, but given that this is a new staff, I think he really needs to show he can play sooner rather than later.

He needs 3 full NFL seasons. If at the end of his 3rd NFL season he's not starting, then I'd make a decision. Pass rushers sometimes take more time than other positions. I would be concerned that he doesn't look much bigger than last season. To play OLB in a 3-4 he needs to be an actual 245-255. I don't think he's within 10 pounds of that.

I don't care for his look-at-me attitude, but he's 22 years old for goodness sakes.

I just hope we've cut our ties to the morons who drafted him with the 11th OP. This team's dismal decade past is only mirrored by it's legacy of horrendous drafting in the early rounds.

I totally agree..............its not his fault that where and when he was picked. The kid has done nothing but work, work, and work. Hes stayed out of trouble. I believe the stigma w/ Maybin is that he followed other first round draft picks that have not played like first round draft picks. Now, Whitner and Leodis are good players but have they really played like 11th overall material? I do not believe so, Byrd has! How bout Mike WIlliams, or McCargo, etc. Its frustrating when your only light at the end of the fan tunnel every yr is the draft 5 months after the season. IDK when considering Maybin I see Orakpo, he made the PB.......thats first round play. I cannot believe Modrak is still employed w/ the Bills......I am sure Maybin was Jauron decision but my health will decline if I discuss Jauron.

I like Maybin so with all things considered I would give him this yr then see ya.

Edited by C-zone Umpa

He needs 3 full NFL seasons. If at the end of his 3rd NFL season he's not starting, then I'd make a decision. Pass rushers sometimes take more time than other positions. I would be concerned that he doesn't look much bigger than last season. To play OLB in a 3-4 he needs to be an actual 245-255. I don't think he's within 10 pounds of that.

I don't care for his look-at-me attitude, but he's 22 years old for goodness sakes.

I agree with this. What was disturbing was the way 2nd string Redskins pushed him around.

We've seen enough already. He's got all the potential in the world. Awesome speed great motor, drive, determination, work ethic, but is about 50lbs. to light. Had all offseason to put it on and nothing. Great looking player, if he was a wide receiver. Get's tossed to the side like a plastic bag. I think the coach has seen enough after preseason game also.

Guest dog14787

Great post, give the kid a chance :thumbsup: