Wow -- Some things in this game impressed me

that was a pleasant surprise!

Happy Thoughts:

• Brohm just FEELS like the better QB than Edwards. He looks comfortable out there and has a rocket arm.
  • Spiller was truly electric. I think Marshawn and Fred will make excellent backups.
  • Coaching seemed more coherent than last game
  • Run D looked good, though I can't tell whether that was the D's doing or Indy's ineptitude.

Unhappy Thoughts:

• Edwards, despite the long pass to Lee seemed a bit skittish and made some meh-ish passes.
  • Still no pass rush on defense.
  • Special teams still looks as if it's taken some huge steps backward.

Overall, they looked like a real NFL team out there. Why is that? I don't know, but let's hope they continue to build and improve on that effort.

Happy Thoughts:

• Brohm just FEELS like the better QB than Edwards. He looks comfortable out there and has a rocket arm.
  • Spiller was truly electric. I think Marshawn and Fred will make excellent backups.
  • Run D looked good, though I can't tell whether that was the D's doing or Indy's ineptitude.

Unhappy Thoughts:

• Edwards, despite the long pass to Lee seemed a bit skittish and made some meh-ish passes.

Overall, they looked like a real NFL team out there. Why is that? I don't know, but let's hope they continue to build and improve on that effort.

I only caught about the first 1 1/2 quarters, so I'll check out Brohm on one of the replays.

I liked the way they mixed up the looks offensively. The bomb to Evans was a perfect example. Don't think I've ever seen a safety bite the run fake quite that hard! (he almost ran over Evans on his way to the 'ball carrier')

Edward's plus...he got up off the turf and back into the game. Edward's minus...some badly thrown balls and like you say...skittish.

Scott did a nice job on ST coverage (while I was watching) but the rest...not so much. Coverage looks very very weak. Hopefully that's because they are still moving people around and playing guys who may not be on the final roster.

At least game 2 gives me a reason to look forward to game 3.

About the special teams:

1. We are trying lots of new bodies out there and there isn't the same group that have been out there for the last couple of years.

2. Last year there was a drop off as well.

3. DeHaven, if you read his profile on BB.com, really is better at getting offence out of the STs, only in Buffalo the first time was this not true. Expect a better return game/team but the cover teams may look worse.

4. This is an area that also take a bit of time to gel, give it a bit of time. They are trying lots of different people in the return slots and gunners. Until cuts are made all teams have a bit of trouble with this if they are young teams.

5. I trust coach DeHaven, they will improve.

Happy Thoughts:

Unhappy Thoughts:

Agreed on all counts. All the Edwards lovers can do is harp on the one long bomb where evans was so wide open ANY of us on the board could have hit him for a TD. Just like last week, checkdown, skiddish and in the huddle and coming to the LOS the guy is just blah. No fire, no emotion just blah. Thurman talked about this fact this offseason the guy has no fire.

I am glad we have about 50 damn good DB's because our pass rush and LB's in general flat suck. Maybe its time to trade a couple DB's away to say Baltimore and get some LB / DL help in here.

I am glad we have about 50 damn good DB's because our pass rush and LB's in general flat suck. Maybe its time to trade a couple DB's away to say Baltimore and get some LB / DL help in here.

Yeah...Mitchell and Poz both got burned in coverage.

Happy Thoughts:

Unhappy Thoughts:

Early on I thought the Defense was weak around the corner. I'll have a better evaluation after I watch the game again.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

[*]Brohm just FEELS like the better QB than Edwards. He looks comfortable out there and has a rocket arm.

Please keep in mind he was playing the backups. Not bashing Brohm, but just trying to maintain some perspective here.

PTR

Please keep in mind he was playing the backups. Not bashing Brohm, but just trying to maintain some perspective here.

PTR

The point is a well ball placed into coverage is a well placed ball. Doesn't matter what string it is. Accurate throws are accurate throws - the level of competition doesn't matter. Now throwing under pressure or created confusion is a different story, but don't take away successes that transcend competition levels.

I kind of agree and would like to see Brohm get the reps with the 1s and have a chance to grow into the starting qb. Edwards is a little better right now but he just looks like such a pu$$y when he plays. He jumps out of the way instead of following through on his passes and generally looks like a polo player trying to play football and not get hit. That said he still is capable of doing some good things but I just feel like Brohm's the type of player who needs to get some time to gain some traction before he's really comfortable and can show what he's capable of. He stands tall in the pocket and steps into passes...like an nfl quarterback....

Agreed on all counts. All the Edwards lovers can do is harp on the one long bomb where evans was so wide open ANY of us on the board could have hit him for a TD. Just like last week, checkdown, skiddish and in the huddle and coming to the LOS the guy is just blah. No fire, no emotion just blah. Thurman talked about this fact this offseason the guy has no fire.

Not another one! :thumbsup:

Yeah...Mitchell and Poz both got burned in coverage.

And if by burned in coverage you mean they both had Peyton Manning drop near perfect passes where only the receiver could get them, then yes, they got torched. The pass over the middle to the TE was NOT a lapse in coverage.

Poz, may be, but he was up against a running back and still made for a small window through which the pass could be thrown. Manning made the throw.

Not another one! :thumbsup:

you can quibble all day about whether a guy off the street could make that throw (given years of practice with Lee Evans), but it would be hard to argue that any NFL or competent college player couldn't have made that completion. This isn't knocking him, it is just saying that he damn well better hit a guy THAT wide open with no pressure on him.

TE looked much better than last week. He was executing the called plays. Had another perfect timing pass to Johnson that would have been an easy catch if not for obvious PI.

It's "skittish", sporto.

TE looked much better than last week. He was executing the called plays. Had another perfect timing pass to Johnson that would have been an easy catch if not for obvious PI.

It's "skittish", sporto.

All that considered, how about the actual PLAY that was called!!! Three back set so you get the defense to stuff the box and then you go over the top!!! I loved it! The play call itself was Chan-tastic! :thumbsup: