still don't panic.

I have put forth a pretty low opinion of most of the moves of the new coach and gm. However they have done some gutsy things (although not addressing the real needs of this team in my humble opinion). They had a nightmare preseason opener. However...

There is a new defensive scheme with a lot of people untried and being tested in new positions. That takes time and lots of reps. I suspect we will see major improvement in the next few weeks on the defensive front.

The offensive weaknesses are showing. People will improve or there will be some new people brought in. I don't see Gailey putting up with the type of play we saw last week, and suspect he will engage in some major efforts to find talent to get us into the season if the existing crew doesn't perform. I'm still a believer that with a quality offensive line and another wide receiver perhaps one of our four qb's can perform.

for us the preseason is a lot more than a tune up for the regular season and we'll have growing pains with it as Gailey and Nix learn what they have and, better yet, assess what they need.

I have put forth a pretty low opinion of most of the moves of the new coach and gm. However they have done some gutsy things (although not addressing the real needs of this team in my humble opinion). They had a nightmare preseason opener. However...

There is a new defensive scheme with a lot of people untried and being tested in new positions. That takes time and lots of reps. I suspect we will see major improvement in the next few weeks on the defensive front.

The offensive weaknesses are showing. People will improve or there will be some new people brought in. I don't see Gailey putting up with the type of play we saw last week, and suspect he will engage in some major efforts to find talent to get us into the season if the existing crew doesn't perform. I'm still a believer that with a quality offensive line and another wide receiver perhaps one of our four qb's can perform.

for us the preseason is a lot more than a tune up for the regular season and we'll have growing pains with it as Gailey and Nix learn what they have and, better yet, assess what they need.

Well he has 3 years to turn **** into gold, that's about par for the course with Bills coach's...

7-9 in consecutive seasons earned DJ an extensions. Chan just has to be mediocre and he's safe.

I would still hold him to nine wins this season or he's out of here. He made some very gutsy non-decisions and has to play with the team and scheme he has developed instead of doing a lot of rather obvious things to help the team. I'm ready to give him a chance and willing to put up with a "development" kind of horror show pre-season...but at the end of this season it should be nine wins or out.

I think the panicking game principally from people who didn't appreciate how terrible this team will be in 2010. It was like all of a sudden the Redskins game made them realize that the formula of "6-10 in 2009 + much better coach = 8-9 wins in 2010" didn't add up.

Transitions are tough, especially those on defense that involve position changes in addition to changes in schemes. Unless Chan can find a way to improve offensive line play dramatically, this looks to be a team that can't score and can't stop anybody. Not a great combo.

I would still hold him to nine wins this season or he's out of here. He made some very gutsy non-decisions and has to play with the team and scheme he has developed instead of doing a lot of rather obvious things to help the team. I'm ready to give him a chance and willing to put up with a "development" kind of horror show pre-season...but at the end of this season it should be nine wins or out.

9 wins or out is a ridiculous ultimatum for any head coach in their first year

I don't think there's any chance in hell of this team winning 9 games this year. But even so, I think Chan needs more than one year to prove himself ... expecting him to win 9 games with this roster is asking for a miracle. Would you really want him fired if they win 6?

I think the panicking game principally from people who didn't appreciate how terrible this team will be in 2010. It was like all of a sudden the Redskins game made them realize that the formula of "6-10 in 2009 + much better coach = 8-9 wins in 2010" didn't add up.

Transitions are tough, especially those on defense that involve position changes in addition to changes in schemes. Unless Chan can find a way to improve offensive line play dramatically, this looks to be a team that can't score and can't stop anybody. Not a great combo.

Were always in some sort of transition. Bad management(Wilson)=Instability, lack of cohesion. There is no company strategy or mindset. Only knee jerk reactive solutions. Combine the lack of clarity of for thought with an unwillingness to hire quality management staff and you get what you have. Garbage

Fortuna's wheel has found a position for us, and it is befitting of our place in mankind. Failure and despair are appropriate for us. If it is yet possible to enjoy our fortunes, I suggest we start.

I highly suggest you find time to assault the glove, as it gives a momentary respite from our daily struggle.

I think Chan deserves at least two years to see if he's even minimally competent, barring a 0-16/1-15 Cam Cameron style disaster. If they look absolutely clueless and uncoached, maybe the year could do him in, but if they just look like inferior talents who can't get the job done because they don't have the raw talent, that's not on a first year staff.

Honestly, I have reasonably decent expectations for Chan. I think he's got decent, above-average potential, if not a likely star. I still haven't been convinced by Nix, whose moves and non-moves have left me scratching my head. He's got a chance to show off Spiller now, and possibly as a starter into week one. I'm not giving a verdict for now, but I'm looking forward to seeing the evidence.

Fortuna's wheel has found a position for us, and it is befitting of our place in mankind. Failure and despair are appropriate for us. If it is yet possible to enjoy our fortunes, I suggest we start.

I highly suggest you find time to assault the glove, as it gives a momentary respite from our daily struggle.

Does this mean other things besides the Bills? I like the post but the last line is confusing to me.

You may as well call for his resignation now. 9 wins with the Bills schedule as it looks now would make them a top 5 NFL team. Many of the current starters wouldn't start or might now even make the roster of a top 5 team. Not Even Snyder has figured out how to buy a loser into a winner in one season.

Were always in some sort of transition. Bad management(Wilson)=Instability, lack of cohesion. There is no company strategy or mindset. Only knee jerk reactive solutions. Combine the lack of clarity of for thought with an unwillingness to hire quality management staff and you get what you have. Garbage

Mediocrity and transition are acceptable so long as profitability remains high. This past off-season was one of the most important in recent memory, and we'll see how they did. Although, plenty of the blind homers will say when all is said and done that 2010 was a rebuilding season anyway. To me, after 10 years without a playoff appearance that's unacceptable.

Everything does indeed seem to be more or less short term decisions in the even the owner passes. How can they plan long term with this franchise anyway? And that's why I beleive the GM and HC hires since TD were/are people no one else wanted anyway. They can be jettisoned quite easily if there's an ownership change.

In one of my posts I stated that the Redskins would be much more improved this season vs the Bills and got flamed for it. I think most posters honestly thought the Bills would be in so much better shape once Jauron was fired and a new offensive minded HC was hired.

What they didn't realize is...Shanahan has won super bowls as a HC and been to other SB's as an OC, his DC is an ex player and an ex head coach himself. That Redskin coaching staff is far superior to the Bills staff in almost every way.

Dick Jauron was a moron in certain areas but a great leader and HC to his players, they played tough for him. If anything his teams lacked great schemes, Tampa 2 and Mike Martz offense are out dated schemes that teams have figured out how to beat.

Chan Gailey needs to get his "pistol" offense working asap, coach up his QB's, and let his DC worry about the defense.

Even though many fans here have stated they don't mind going through a rebuilding year, somehow I don't think Bills fans can suffer a record worse then 6-10 and will want Gailey fired.

Wasn't that the title of a Spinal Tap Album?