Time to feel old, the Beloit College Mindset List is out

Just Jack

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

It is all how you are raised. Not calling fault to anybody... My parents and certainly not me ever bought into that BS. It happens, it happens. I did catch the tail end... But my siblings were born in the early 1960's and they feel exactly how I do. My parent's lived through the Great Depression, just like mine did... They got older and raised a family thorugh the 1960's and didn't by the hype.

It has nothing to do with how anybody was raised - It was my personal observation. I don't think my parents and I once ever even talked about nuclear war. I read a lot from and was really into history and current events from a very young age, so I was very aware of how we were in a cold war, and if it got hot, it would be pretty close to the end of the world.

Didn't buy the hype? So, the threat of nuclear war was hype, as if it was the Super Bowl, huh?

So your parents lived through the Great Depression, just like yours did, huh? Strange how that can happen.

Really?

It is all how you are raised. Not calling fault to anybody... My parents and certainly not me ever bought into that BS. It happens, it happens. I did catch the tail end... But my siblings were born in the early 1960's and they feel exactly how I do. My parent's lived through the Great Depression, just like mine did... They got older and raised a family thorugh the 1960's and didn't by the hype.

So you think the cold war and the Cuban Missile Crisis were BS?

In my mind it is perhaps even more painful to watch some young person who can't figure out how much change they should get from a cashier because they can't do simple math in their head.

I like it when let's say your total is $5.61 so you hand the cashier $10.76, and they give a look like, "WTF?", not realizing that all you need back is a five, a dime, and a nickel, instead of the four ones, quarter, dime, and four pennies if you'd given them just $10.

I like it when let's say your total is $5.61 so you hand the cashier $10.76, and they give a look like, "WTF?", not realizing that all you need back is a five, a dime, and a nickel, instead of the four ones, quarter, dime, and four pennies if you'd given them just $10.

Maybe they want to unload the ones and the loose change so counting their drawer at the end of the night is faster.

Only kidding!

:wallbash:

Maybe they want to unload the ones and the loose change so counting their drawer at the end of the night is faster.

Only kidding!

:wallbash:

I've been on both sides of the belt. It would surprise people when I'd ask if they had 3 cents, or some other weird amount because they didn't realize it would be less coins or bills coming back to them until they saw what I was handing back as change.

I've been on both sides of the belt. It would surprise people when I'd ask if they had 3 cents, or some other weird amount because they didn't realize it would be less coins or bills coming back to them until they saw what I was handing back as change.

True.

Many places just spot you the odd penny or so... Say $4.26... On a five, they just give you $.75 back.

"Counting back" is basically nonexistent! :wallbash:

An interesting thing to me regarding my generation is that, despite an attack on America actually being accomplished, the level of fear and paranoia compared to your generation (based on stories my parents have told me) is remarkably lower. I wonder why. Not trying to make any point, just really wondering why. I can't ever remember feeling afraid, and I think most of my friends echo that sentiment.

You should just change your screen name to

I think the non-chalance you mention may reflect a lack of understanding of the real history and culture of that era. Imagine growing up in world where the US and USSR have several thousand thermo-nuclear warheads pointed at each other, where the US foreign policy doctrine toward the Soviet Union is aptly named 'MAD' (Mutually Assured Destruction), and the the real possibility of every major US city being instantly and simultaneously annihilated truly existed at the whim of one rogue Gen. Curtis LeMay type...

Take a close look at how Kennedy and Khrushchev were 'at the brink' of global destruction in 1962, or how Lyndon Johnson campaigned in 1964 before you call it "paranoia"...

You and those younger than you are fortunate to have been born at a time when atmospheric nuclear testing had already ceased, and to have grown up in a time when sanity finally prevailed, efforts were well under way to curb the proliferation of nuclear weapons once and for all, and Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush had brought about the demise of the Soviet Union and an end to the Cold War without firing a single shot or missile.

I think the non-chalance you mention may reflect a lack of understanding of the real history and culture of that era. Imagine growing up in world where the US and USSR have several thousand thermo-nuclear warheads pointed at each other, where the US foreign policy doctrine toward the Soviet Union is aptly named 'MAD' (Mutually Assured Destruction), and the the real possibility of every major US city being instantly and simultaneously annihilated truly existed at the whim of one rogue Gen. Curtis LeMay type...

Take a close look at how Kennedy and Khrushchev were 'at the brink' of global destruction in 1962, or how Lyndon Johnson campaigned in 1964 before you call it "paranoia"...

You and those younger than you are fortunate to have been born at a time when atmospheric nuclear testing had already ceased, and to have grown up in a time when sanity finally prevailed, efforts were well under way to curb the proliferation of nuclear weapons once and for all, and Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush had brought about the demise of the Soviet Union and an end to the Cold War without firing a single shot or missile.

It wasn't Sage... You should direct this at me.

:wallbash::P

So well said........Plus, they had us do those air raid drills where you're ducking under your desk, and even as a 2nd grader I'm like come on, a nuclear bomb goes off and this desk is going to protect me?

I watched an interesting piece on 60 Minutes a few years ago. They interviewed this Russian guy who is the fall of 1983 basically saved all our butts. Kind of paraphrasing, he was in charge of "the button" on this night and the "alarms" were going off saying that a nuke or nukes from the US was heading towards them. So, then he checked into the next fail-safe type of thing, and that agreed with the first assessment. Things were very tense at the time (I think the USSR had just shot down Korea 007) and the Russians thought that Reagan was a crazy cowboy who wouldn't hesitate to nuke them.

So, basically everything was telling him to send their nukes our way, but he still thought the info was wrong. He only had a few minutes or so to decide and obviously did not pull the trigger.

So, not only did we know it would be MAD, but there was also very good reason to think one bad error could set the whole thing off.

An interesting thing to me regarding my generation is that, despite an attack on America actually being accomplished, the level of fear and paranoia compared to your generation (based on stories my parents have told me) is remarkably lower. I wonder why. Not trying to make any point, just really wondering why. I can't ever remember feeling afraid, and I think most of my friends echo that sentiment.

Check out the movie Thirteen Days. It came out about 10 years ago and it's a great movie about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Really eye opening about what our country went through back then.

And, it's not like we are dead now. And, I don't think we are living in any more fear of the current threats than Sage and his buddies.........Do you think we are, Sage?

Now? I don't think so. But I remember in the months following 9/11, a lot of the parents were (very justifiably) worried and some even took their kids out of school for a while (as if terrorists were going to come and attack middle schools in the suburbs of Buffalo), whereas the general attitude among us kids was sorta "meh". I remember thinking to myself back then while my parents were stressing out, "If somebody REALLY wants to kill me, it's gonna happen. So why worry?". But maybe that was just me.

I haven't discussed this issue at length with enough people from your generation to have a comprehensive answer for you, but I would generally say that the majority of my generation regards national security issues with a very Que Sera Sera attitude. Probably not a great thing, but that's how it is.

Check out the movie Thirteen Days. It came out about 10 years ago and it's a great movie about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Really eye opening about what our country went through back then.

I've always meant to see that at some point. My US History teacher showed it in 9th grade, but I was ogling Melissa Bartolucci the whole time, so I don't remember much of it. :wallbash: