Time to feel old, the Beloit College Mindset List is out

Just Jack

Wear wristwatch? Use e-mail? Not for Class of '14

By DINESH RAMDE, Associated Press Writer Dinesh Ramde, Associated Press Writer – Tue Aug 17, 9:24 am ET

MILWAUKEE – For students entering college this fall, e-mail is too slow, phones have never had cords and the computers they played with as kids are now in museums.

The Class of 2014 thinks of Clint Eastwood more as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry urging punks to "go ahead, make my day." Few incoming freshmen know how to write in cursive or have ever worn a wristwatch.

About the authors of the list

The list

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell they can't even write cursive. BTW my sister teaches pre-first and all her kids can write in cursive. :D

I was born in 1968 and gave up cursive in Jr./high-school (took mechanical drawing/drafting/architecture)... I actually use a "hybrid" or my "own font"... :blink: I agree, they should be able to do it... That is why I hold off on buying a printer to my children's dismay. They have to write out in cursive if they can't print out an assignment. Which kinda gets me... What a stupid rule the school/teacher has... :rolleyes:

I think texting and IMg take way too long. Email doesn't waste so much time........Plus, I can type way faster at a keyboard than on my phone.

I think this list is correct if all these kids are morons and have no sense of history.

Maybe the anti-wristwatch crowd thinks this:

"...All in time, but the clock is another demon that devours our time in Eden, in our Paradise.

Will our eyes see well beneath us, flowers all divine?

Is there still time?

If we wake and discover in life a precious love, will that waking become more heavenly?"

Kinda hard to argue against this.

:thumbdown:

I love the wristwatch thing. I always wear a watch and I was talking to a young person recently about that. They said "I don't need a watch, I've got the time on my phone" so I asked what time it was. I sat there and watched my second hand go around and around as he fumbled looking for his cell phone. Ok, so email takes to long but you had to check your pockets, look around and finally go back to your cube to tell me what time it was. :thumbdown:

I love the wristwatch thing. I always wear a watch and I was talking to a young person recently about that. They said "I don't need a watch, I've got the time on my phone" so I asked what time it was. I sat there and watched my second hand go around and around as he fumbled looking for his cell phone. Ok, so email takes to long but you had to check your pockets, look around and finally go back to your cube to tell me what time it was. :thumbdown:

Not to mention, that if you're in a mtg or something, you can glance at your watch without getting caught, but you can't pull out your cell phone to look at the time.

Not to mention, that if you're in a mtg or something, you can glance at your watch without getting caught, but you can't pull out your cell phone to look at the time.

When I'm in meetings I don't glance at my watch either. People pick up on that. I have clocks on all my conference rooms and I make sure that I sit where I can see the clock.

I'm 21, so just a couple years older than the current mindset list. Let me tell you, we're not ALL idiots with no historical perspective. There wasn't a single item on that list that really applied to me in terms of general knowledge.

I do wear a watch because of convenience and the aesthetic.

However, no cursive for me. Except for signing names, I don't imagine how it will ever be relevant again.

When I'm in meetings I don't glance at my watch either. People pick up on that. I have clocks on all my conference rooms and I make sure that I sit where I can see the clock.

You better watch out - people pick up on that.

I was born in 1968 and gave up cursive in Jr./high-school

Born just a few years after you and also gave up cursive in college. @10 years ago when taking the GMAT, you had to write out a provided paragraph in cursive. I suppose this was done so they had a record to investigate any cheating (how about a webcam while taking the test?). Anyhow, I really struggled to write a whole paragraph in cursive.

Born just a few years after you and also gave up cursive in college. @10 years ago when taking the GMAT, you had to write out a provided paragraph in cursive. I suppose this was done so they had a record to investigate any cheating (how about a webcam while taking the test?). Anyhow, I really struggled to write a whole paragraph in cursive.

I took the SAT in 2008, and you had to do a paragraph in cursive for that as well. They taught my class cursive in 3rd grade. I hated it.

I, also, wear a wristwatch at all times. It just feels right.