Gailey's thoughts on Brohm's strengths

bfw1234

Trent probably shouldn't, you're right, but I can't see unless someone drastically outplays him that he will not be the starter week one. I know everyone is excited to see Brohm, but do we really think he can do anything with the second unit. I hate having to say "when I saw him in camp" because I'm not a scout, but he does nothing special the other three can't do. It sucks, but we're stuck with three back-ups and one unknown. On the other hand, that would be refreshing to see Chan actually give him a shot with the starters if he drastically outplayed Trent and Fitz (on tape) this Thursday. That would at least prove to me that there is indeed an open comp. still going on in camp.

Trent already was outplayed in the 1st preseason game. Fitz produced two touchdowns (1 passing 1 rushing while he was at QB) and had a 97.6 QB rating. Trent produced 1 interception and a FG while at the helm and had a QB rating of 29.2. Trent got schooled. The reason Gailey did not play Brohm in game 1 was twofold. 1. 3 of the Bills' starting OLinemen were injured and 2. it was the first preseason game and things were certain to be awful. Trent got the temporary starting job because of seniority and experience which is also the reason Fitz got the 2nd spot. Brohm will come in this week after Trent puts up another dismal performance and probably play at least as well as Fitz did if not substantially better. then Gailey will knock Trent down to 3rd if he doesn't just cut him. He puts Brohm as 1 and Fitz at 2 and Brown at 3. No reason to elevate Brown to 2. He looked to raw last week to put him in as a backup in a potentially critical spot.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hope is that Chan is really giving Edwards a clean slate and trying to give Edwards some confidence to overcome his chronic checkdown syndrome. Then after seeing this for a few preseason games and watching the tape Chan will end the Edwards experiment once and for all.

I can only hope that this whole "pecking order" is a charade so that they can move Brohm into the starting job without handing it to him. It's Trent's job to lose and everyone know he will do everything he can to lose it.

I am hopeful that this is what is going on. I just don't know how long Chan will carry on the charade. My hope if that Trent sucks Thursday and Brohm kicks ass and then Gailey give Brohm time with the starters in Game three before naming him the starter for game 4 and the season opener.

I will probably be completely disappointed becuase this is not what is going on, but this is what I am holding out hope for.

Gailey already made excuses for Captain Checkdown on BB.com.

"I’d rather him make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

He completely misses the fact that Trent refuses to throw past 4 yards even if the players are open espically in the redzone.

I think Gailey was probably right, the line play was so bad Trent didn't have much of a chance to throw downfield. However, if Trent was such a lock to start, Gailey would name him the starter, which he hasn't. In fact Gailey made a point of saying today that Trent is not the starter. I think the team is hoping Brohm will earn the starting role but they want him to earn it. they also didn't want him to get killed last week in a game where we had 3 out of 5 starting linemen on the bench and are still trying to learn a new offense. This way, it looks like Brohm and Fitz are getting equal chances to prove themselves, but Brohm is actually getting the better chance because he will get a better crop of linemen in the second game (even if the starters are not all still in, the backups will be fresher). Plus the team is one week more developed in their knowledge of the game so Brohm should have a more competent squad to work with. Trent gets a pass of sorts for the first game because it was the first game, but if he sucks again he's finished.

I can only hope that this whole "pecking order" is a charade so that they can move Brohm into the starting job without handing it to him. It's Trent's job to lose and everyone know he will do everything he can to lose it.

I am hopeful that this is what is going on. I just don't know how long Chan will carry on the charade. My hope if that Trent sucks Thursday and Brohm kicks ass and then Gailey give Brohm time with the starters in Game three before naming him the starter for game 4 and the season opener.

I will probably be completely disappointed becuase this is not what is going on, but this is what I am holding out hope for.

Bingo!

If Brohm was handed the starting role the team (especially veterans) would be grumbling about it. Except Lee Evans who has never liked Edwards. Note: Edwards is getting the first team reps which is why he has been connecting with Evans more than the other guys....

Last time I checked, wasn't Brohm cut from the Packers????? He couldnt even make it as a 3rd stringer there. Furthermore, Brohm wasn't exactly a world beater in his start last season.....also, Brohm did not win the QB competition during camp, he didn't even come in 2nd place...you guys need to relax with all of this back up qb talk...its ridiculous....Gailey is the coach and its in his best interest to start the best guy for the job.....thats why TE is the qb...simple as that....if Gailey felt someone else was better they would be starting

No he wasn't cut, and Green Bay matched our offer in an effort to keep him. I know facts are a problem, but at least try to get them straight.

No he wasn't cut, and Green Bay matched our offer in an effort to keep him. I know facts are a problem, but at least try to get them straight.

Typical head in the sand Brohm fan! He WAS CUT by GB last September & then AFTER HE CLEARED WAIVERS BY ALL 31 OTHER TEAMS placed on their practice squad. Did it ever occur to you that GB's attempt to match was simply to keep an insurance policy in November with a guy who knew their friggin offense or are you just too dense?

Don't go telling other people they don't know what they're talking about when YOU'RE the one talking out of his @ss!

Actually, he had to have been cut to be placed on the practice squad. And any team could have picked him up while he was on there - it's not surprising that the Bills took a flyer on a guy with an impressive college resume. I still think if the line was more solid that Trent would be the better QB but thus far I'm not sold on his mental makeup ... I guess I was hoping Chan would bring the confidence out. I'm all for giving him another shot but if he regresses this week, I'd take my chances with Brohm in week 3 because Fitz is a more competent backup when everything falls apart on the line (which almost seems to be fore-ordained.)

So then you are of the stance that if a drafted QB doesnt perform in year 1 in the NFL then he is a bust?

No QB ever drafted as high as Brohm (2nd rd) has ever rebounded from getting waived by his drafting team except maybe an older veteran cut for salary cap clearance well beyond his rookie contract. This means in order for Brohm to make it he has to become the 1st one. High profile QBs cut in their initial contracts never make it. The guys who do make it are always late round to free agent types who are flying far under the radar when they get cut. Kurt Warner got cut his 1st camp with GB (contrary to another poster's revisionist history earlier in this thread). Two reasons were he was so unprepared for his 1st camp & needed years in Arenaball & NFLE before being ready and he was among the greatest group of QBs ever assembled in one camp-Favre, Brunell, T.Detmer & Warner-a raw undrafted rookie.

No QB ever drafted as high as Brohm (2nd rd) has ever rebounded from getting waived by his drafting team except maybe an older veteran cut for salary cap clearance well beyond his rookie contract. This means in order for Brohm to make it he has to become the 1st one.

I billieve. :D

I've stated many times already and will repeat that, on Sept. 12, the QB 'pecking order' will be...

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - President - Dakota Fanning Fan Club, Los Gatos Chapter

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

The Senator's kiss of death. I was praying this would happen, but I didn't realize it was a pipe dream until you posted it!

I've stated many times already and will repeat that, on Sept. 12, the QB 'pecking order' will be...

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - President - Dakota Fanning Fan Club, Los Gatos Chapter

And, as usual (always?) you will be wrong. I'd love to see BB get a legit chance to start.

Brown will be #3 at best this year, though. At least to start the season.

No QB ever drafted as high as Brohm (2nd rd) has ever rebounded from getting waived by his drafting team except maybe an older veteran cut for salary cap clearance well beyond his rookie contract.

That might be among the most worthless/meaningless points I have seen from a good poster, on a Tuesday afternoon, in mid August in a thread started by bfw1234.

It's telling that in this "open competition" (cough) that Trentative will be The Man for the first 2 scrimmages while Brohm and Fitzpatrick get one token chance each with the backups and camp fodder.

Seems like it is still Captain Checkdown's job to lose. Bring in Captain Meat Shield for another year...

The thing that is so funny about your post is that you are actually trying to stand on your high horse and call me out for being wrong

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/05/packers...-anthony-smith/

Take a look at this link and then take your foot your mouth.

I am sooooo glad to see you keep your facts straight :D

So basically its just blind faith in another teams castoff?

Can anyone name one franchise QB who failed with one team but was reborn on another:?

Quite a few, actually. These come to mind in my lifetime:

Unitas

Dawson

Kemp

Morrall

Blanda

Young

Tittle

Plunkett

Tarkenton

Not common, for sure, but not extremely rare either.

On plays where Lee has a huge gap between him and the defender and Trent doesnt have to worry about getting hit. For the last time, PRACTICE doesnt matter if you are not capable of doing it in a game...W/L records, yardage totals, TD's, etc dont get tallied from practice.

Trent gives up on plays too early for deep routes to develop in games...he doesnt have the vision to get the ball down field in games (probably because he panics to fast), and he is not very accurate on the deep ball in games (see the mile he over threw Steve Johnson on Friday who was wide open). And lets not forget how much air he puts on his deep ball allowing DB's to close in on the WR.

UNTIL he can start doing this in games, I dont want to hear about practice anymore like we have the last 2 years.

As AI said: "Practice. We're talking about practice. Not a game!! Practice!!"

The thing that is so funny about your post is that you are actually trying to stand on your high horse and call me out for being wrong

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/05/packers...-anthony-smith/

Take a look at this link and then take your foot your mouth.

I am sooooo glad to see you keep your facts straight :D

He IS correct about the Pack matching the Bills offer to keep Brohm, though. After being cut, BB was put on the PS. When the Bills make their offer, the Pack countered to try to keep BB.