Countdown

Wizard

Yes...it is preseason...and yes....there are some guys out there still hoping to catch a ride on this sunken ship, but it is truly sad times when the Redskins dominate your team in every facet for 60 minutes and coast to a 25 point victory.

After Friday's beat down, Chan Gailey should start cheating (the Patriots do it, so why not us) and should deploy scouts with cash to let Locker, Luck, and every legitimate LT prospect in the college ranks know how desperate this team is for talent.

Time to cut or trade all the crummy vets for a bag of chips or a 7th round pick if possible(Chambers, Corner, Ellison, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Kelsay etc.) and let all rookies and those still with developmental potential play every snap possible. When it is all said and done what is the difference between a 2-14 team and this team? Answer: 3-13.

Time to blow up this ship and rebuild. Stockpile as many draft picks as possible and get a real QB, LT, Pass rusher, and outside linebacker.

Yes...it is preseason...and yes....there are some guys out there still hoping to catch a ride on this sunken ship, but it is truly sad times when the Redskins dominate your team in every facet for 60 minutes and coast to a 25 point victory.

After Friday's beat down, Chan Gailey should start cheating (the Patriots do it, so why not us) and should deploy scouts with cash to let Locker, Luck, and every legitimate LT prospect in the college ranks know how desperate this team is for talent.

Time to cut or trade all the crummy vets for a bag of chips or a 7th round pick if possible(Chambers, Corner, Ellison, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Kelsay etc.) and let all rookies and those still with developmental potential play every snap possible. When it is all said and done what is the difference between a 2-14 team and this team? Answer: 3-13.

Time to blow up this ship and rebuild. Stockpile as many draft picks as possible and get a real QB, LT, Pass rusher, and outside linebacker.

Are you already lined up outside Radio City?

The time to do that was in the off season and the draft!

If there is football next yr, and a rookie wage scale is introduced, what makes anyone here think that Locker won't Elway himself out of buffalo if we were to pick him. The guy is already signed with the Angels. As for Luck, all indications to this point have been that he wont come out either.

Preseason is a time to work out the kinks. The Bills were sloppy, I'll give you that (a lot more so than I thought I'd see on defense). There is, however, a reason why they say "that's why they play the games". If it were the middle of the season and we were 1-7 and still looked like this, then you might have cause for the hysterics.

But after 1 preseason game? Come on, let's at least get a real look at this team first.

100 % in agreement with you. This team lacks all the KEY ingredients to a winning franchise. Seems like they draft all around the key things to build a winning football team.

LT/QB/DE/DT/WR

Man, we need lots of help.

The time to do that was in the off season and the draft!

...or the offseason last year. The countdown began immediately after Jason Peters was traded. Two years later and we're still waiting for any quality, or even depth, at either tackle position. I felt sick when I saw Kirk Chambers starting at tackle Friday. I realize it was only due to injuries to Bell and Green but neither of them would be starting on a decent team either.

There was no semblance of a pass rush nor pass protection. The Bills were dominated on both lines by the powerhouse Washington Redskins. It was only one preseason game so I'm holding off the "cut everyone and forfeit the season" talk but really...they need to start looking like a competent NFL team by the team the season starts. I have no expectations for the season but any signs of improvement would be appreciated. It feels like the next years draft is all I ever look forward to with this team.

I agree with Wizard but here are the reasons why:

#1- Look at how many sacks are given up this year...I expect a bunch with or Tackle situation..

#2- Our INT rate will most likely be high with our lack of talent at WR and the lack of a quality signal caller...

#3- On defense, tell me who will provide at least 6 sacks?

#4- Last year, teams ran up the middle on us...tell me how this will change from last year...

#5- Is the personnel (built for the 4-3) ready to be a 3-4? We'll see.

#6- INJURIES...they already are mounting...football is a game of depth and sadly we don't have it...

I'm not quite as depressed as you. But I think it is time to dump the never has beens and open up room for the final cuts of the better teams. That might mean getting rid of Fitz and Brohm or even Edwards and Brohm unless they show something great in the preseason. We might as well get us a few potential qbs who don't make the final cut from a really good team with more promise.

We might want to get rid of most of our offensive linemen unless they emerge as potential starters and get a few potential players off the waiver wires to try out as well.

Send a message...you're a starter...a potential starter in whom we have confidence....or gone.

what is deploying scouts with cash going to accomplish? its not exactly college recruiting

Yeah, sure that's exactly what Gailey will do. He'll bench all the vets and let all the rookies and young vets with no experience play every snap. :lol:

Listen, Wilson tried to hire Shanahan, and rumors were abound that he spoke with Cowher. Maybe, if one of them would have accpeted his offer, they would have been much more proactive in free agency and more daring in the draft, and the team could be better already today.

But instead Wilson hired Nix who brought Gailey in, and they all have decided to take the "long path" back towards winning. Mostly through the draft with a selective FA signing here and there. I suppose that's better then Levy/Brandon who had no plan, and the perfect coach to carry that non-plan out in DJ.

Maybe you'll get your wish even with those lousy vets playing instead of the young guys. It appears this team could suck even if all the injuries heal and our "starters" play all 16 games. 2-14-0 is a real possibility even if Levi Brown doesn't play a game this year.

But chances are just as good that this team could actually improve a little up to 7-9-0 or even 8-8-0, and get that damn middle of the pack first round pick anyway. Nix thinks he can make the Bills a winner even without a top 5 draft pick, so we have to just sit back and watch him do it or not do it. :wallbash:

If we were to look to the draft for a first round QB choice I think the playoff less streak has a fair chance of being a decade and a half long streak. Think about it. Lets say we go 3-13 in Gailey's first season and we spend the great pick next year on Locker. Lets take it as an assumption he is as good as Peyton Manning,

Like Manning his stellar rookie play (the only QB to start all 16 that year) delivers the same 3-13 record. A course of events not unlikely for a bad Bills team that earned them the right to Locker, The Bills by def are not like the Steelers who won it all with rookie RoboQB, We are on the Indy track even with the best QB. I am not sure what happened in Indy but do you believe Gailey would survive two back to back horrible results.

My sense is that if we look to the draft for a savior QB we end up rebuilding in 2010, 20011, and 2012 as well and that is if it works out well, Our next QB needs to come from FA and be at least somewhat proven.

If we were to look to the draft for a first round QB choice I think the playoff less streak has a fair chance of being a decade and a half long streak. Think about it. Lets say we go 3-13 in Gailey's first season and we spend the great pick next year on Locker. Lets take it as an assumption he is as good as Peyton Manning,

Like Manning his stellar rookie play (the only QB to start all 16 that year) delivers the same 3-13 record. A course of events not unlikely for a bad Bills team that earned them the right to Locker, The Bills by def are not like the Steelers who won it all with rookie RoboQB, We are on the Indy track even with the best QB. I am not sure what happened in Indy but do you believe Gailey would survive two back to back horrible results.

My sense is that if we look to the draft for a savior QB we end up rebuilding in 2010, 20011, and 2012 as well and that is if it works out well, Our next QB needs to come from FA and be at least somewhat proven.

Your odds of getting a Pro Bowl level QB from free agency are very slim. Sure there was Drew Brees, but he was an anomaly, made possible by the (unique) Philip Rivers/Drew Brees situation. Stuff like that doesn't happen every year, or even (necessarily) every decade. There have been no Drew Brees-caliber QBs in the primes of their careers to hit free agency since then, and that was several years ago.

If the Bills want a real QB, and if they want him to not be an aging veteran in the twilight of his career, their only realistic option is the NFL draft. If you're concerned about the short-term, you could have that QB sit his rookie year. The Bengals went in that direction with Carson Palmer, and it makes sense. No sense in throwing a guy to the wolves before he's learned the offense.

If the Bills are serious about winning the Super Bowl, they're going to need a real QB. Not that you absolutely have to have a real QB--the Ravens of 2000 didn't--but it makes your odds a lot better. Getting a real QB through the draft is just the price of doing business. The mentality that this process is too slow, and winning is too urgent a thing, is exactly what got the Bills into their current mess.

Since 1980, the Bills have drafted QBs in the first round exactly twice. The first time was Jim Kelly. The second time was Losman. But in Losman's case, TD must have felt at least some reservations about him, or else he wouldn't have tried to trade up for Roethlisberger. Those reservations proved to be abundantly well-founded.

If short-sightedness and a lack of commitment to drafting QBs in the first round are what got us into this mess, it's far from clear those are the ingredients necessary to get us out. Many or most teams with real QBs got them in the first round. Peyton Manning. Matt Ryan. Carson Palmer. Philip Rivers. Aaron Rodgers. Eli Manning. Maybe it's time for the Bills to start thinking about doing what those teams did. That strategy seems to have worked for them. The Bills' strategy of immediate gratification, short-term stopgaps, and so forth hasn't exactly worked out well for us.