OT - Michael J Fox

This guy is fighting Parkinson's disease and has his own Charity for Parkinson's disease research yet he decides to take time away from his own charity and family to come to Buffalo to be a part of Pat Lafontaines Charity to help out womens and childrens hospitals of Buffalo.

Michael J Fox is a great guy.

To the many others that contibuted to the charity event at the arena this past Saturday, they chould be commended as well.

http://www.michaeljfox.org/

One of my heros! Pat Tillman, Gandhi, Jesus, MLK, Todd Beamer, Michael J Fox, many more. MJF- you rank right up there with all those great people! I admire MJF very much and always watch him when he is on TV. I saw him speak about his disease. He was shaking very badly, struggled speaking and said(I paraphrase-I cannot repeat what he said so eloquent and do it justice)-"I am the luckiest person in the world and truly beleive that. You might look at me in my condition and wonder why I am so lucky. Well I see a side of people that not many are privy to. I see people at their best. I only see the best of people and my condition is why. I cannot fully explain this in a half hour interview-thats why I wrote my book to try and explain". I love the man! God Bless Michael J Fox! I hope a miracle happens!

One of my heros!  Pat Tillman, Gandhi, Jesus, MLK, Todd Beamer, Michael J Fox, many more.  MJF- you rank right up there with all those great people!  I admire MJF very much and always watch him when he is on TV.  I saw him speak about his disease.  He was shaking very badly, struggled speaking and said(I paraphrase-I cannot repeat what he said so eloquent and do it justice)-"I am the luckiest person in the world and truly beleive that.  You might look at me in my condition and wonder why I am so lucky.  Well I see a side of people that not many are privy to.  I see people at their best.  I only see the best of people and my condition is why.  I cannot fully explain this in a half hour interview-thats why I wrote my book to try and explain".  I love the man!  God Bless Michael J Fox!  I hope a miracle happens!

146140[/snapback]

that miracle can happen... i heard stem cell can cure parkinsons. since i'm drunk... i dont wnat to say i know that to be true... but i think it is. either way... mjf IS a good, great, great great role model. good actor, stand up guy, very transparent and active and visible about his causes... awesome.

One of my heros!  Pat Tillman, Gandhi, Jesus, MLK, Todd Beamer, Michael J Fox, many more. 

146140[/snapback]

Pff, Pat Tillman. I don't get it, why is he getting so much attention when thousands of others have died doing the same thing. They don't get the recognition, did they give up less to do the same job? Of course not, he's no more of a hero than anyone lese who's over there, just becuase he played football that makes him a better person. Not that he wasn't but the media blew this way out of proportion. And btw MJF is a great guy, too bad this country elected Bush, and therefore he will die a horrible death because of Bush's radical ideology and utter stupidity. It's a real shame, and everyone who voted to Bush is to blame, you are the ones that are killing Michael J. Fox and everyone else with parkinsons, diabetes, etc. just becuase you want your refund check or maybe you just can't stand the sight of two guys kissing, or maybe you're just a moron. Probably all three. Shame on you.

BTW go Bills, squish the fish!

Pff, Pat Tillman. I don't get it, why is he getting so much attention when thousands of others have died doing the same thing. They don't get the recognition, did they give up less to do the same job?
Maybe because he gave up his MULTI-MILLION dollar job to do what thousands of others have. I served in the military and honestly...If I was in the NFL....No way in hell would I have done what he did.

Maybe because he gave up his MULTI-MILLION dollar job to do what thousands of others have.  I served in the military and honestly...If I was in the NFL....No way in hell would I have done what he did.

146155[/snapback]

So he was a better person with more moral fibre than you but the fact that he was killed by his own guys in crossfire doesn't make him any more of a hero than the other 1100+ who have been killed in the Middle East.

MOST people give up SOMETHING to join the military. It may not be great and grand like Tillman, but to THEM it's important. In the end there is only one being who will judge sacrifice and it ain't us.

Anyway I have no issues with anyone's personal heroes, so worship Tillman if you wish, but let's not forget the rest of them who have died or lost limbs and the families that have been torn up over George's Splendid Little War Against The Man "Who Tried To Kill My Dad".

did they give up less to do the same job?

146151[/snapback]

As a matter of fact, YES, they did give up less. That's the point, it's what he gave up to be there. Nobody is saying that the lives of any other solider are worth less than his or that the contribution and sacrifice of each solider is not great. They all deserve our love and deepest respect. But this is a guy who hit life's lottery and he said, "No thanks, my country is more important". The fact that you would dismiss any solider with a "Pft" shows that you have no respect for any of our troops, and thus :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

p.s. what a surprise, blzrul shows up to denigrate an American hero. :doh:

So he was a better person with more moral fibre than you but the fact that he was killed by his own guys in crossfire doesn't make him any more of a hero than the other 1100+ who have been killed in the Middle East.

146173[/snapback]

Pat Tillman was a hero. This isn't a fuggin comic book argument about who's hero is better/stronger/faster.

They are all heros - the world is a better place because there are great men and women willing to sacrifice for the rest of us. Tillman was one of those.

Even a stupid Canadian gets it.

146173[/snapback]

Did he say that Tillman was more of a hero than the other guys? No. He stands as a high-profile example of heroism, someone who put love of country (however misguided you think it might be) above personal gain. Are you saying that the people who fought and survived are lesser heroes than those who died? I'm sure there are those who have survived who have done more heroic deeds than some of those who died. Just because they didn't pay the ultimate sacrifice shouldn't cloud the fact that they were willing to...

Face it, most all the troops are heroes, but the point of putting Tillman's name up there is not to counter him against the other soldiers fighting by his side, but to counter him against the other football players that we sometimes inappropriately label as "heroes" when all many of them are about is trying to work for whoever wants to pay them the most...

Hey guest, i kind of agree with you, but i am not going to hide anonymously, i am not afraid of people hearing my opinions

Pff, Pat Tillman.  I don't get it, why is he getting so much attention when thousands of others have died doing the same thing.  They don't get the recognition, did they give up less to do the same job?  Of course not, he's no more of a hero than anyone lese who's over there, just becuase he played football that makes him a better person.  Not that he wasn't but the media blew this way out of proportion.  And btw MJF is a great guy, too bad this country elected Bush, and therefore he will die a horrible death because of Bush's radical ideology and utter stupidity.  It's a real shame, and everyone who voted to Bush is to blame, you are the ones that are killing Michael J. Fox and everyone else with parkinsons, diabetes, etc. just becuase you want your refund check or maybe you just can't stand the sight of two guys kissing, or maybe you're just a moron.  Probably all three.  Shame on you.

BTW go Bills, squish the fish!

146151[/snapback]

Fuggin unbeleivable. Michael J Fox is an amazing person that we all could learn from. He deserves any praise he gets. Instead we get a bunch of classless replys that have nothing to do with MJF. If you want to debate Pat Tillman start a thread and I will anwer there. This thread is a tribute to MJF

MOST people give up SOMETHING to join the military.  It may not be great and grand like Tillman, but to THEM it's important.  In the end there is only one being who will judge sacrifice and it ain't us.

Anyway I have no issues with anyone's personal heroes, so worship Tillman if you wish, but let's not forget the rest of them who have died or lost limbs and the families that have been torn up over George's Splendid Little War Against The Man "Who Tried To Kill My Dad".

146173[/snapback]

First off, let me address this...I would bet, if you looked into it, you'd find that most people (enlisted, at least) join the military to, for lack of a better word, escape from something. A great many of the people I know in the services signed up for the most part because they felt they had a lack of direction in their lives and saw service as something that could provide them both structure and a future. I don't pretend that generalizes to everyone in uniform, but at the same time I believe, based on the number of people I know who've expressed that sentiment, that it's fairly common. Though I'm certain it does happen, the number of people I know who signed up with the specific intent of serving their country can be counted on the fingers of one foot. Service to their country was something that was drummed into them in training or early in their service.

Therein lies the reason I respect the hell out of Pat Tillman...he had structure and direction in his life, he had a future (by all accounts a very bright one that would leave him and his family well taken care off for the rest of his life). He gave that up with the specific intent of laying his life on the line for his country. That he died from friendly fire doesn't lessen that...it shouldn't even be a consideration; war is about dying from the most stupid sh-- you can possibly dream up. Friendly fire is, was, and will always be a part of war; harping on it is just stupid.

And, frankly, I've never heard anyone suggest that Tillman's sacrifice lessens anyone else's.

As for the topic of this thread...Michael J Fox is a good man. Anyone who can take a distinct negative in their lives and use it to do good for others is worthy of a large amount of respect.

Excellent post, DC Tom. Blzul is way out of line. Kudos to Michael J. Fox, who is truly a stand-up guy.

146532[/snapback]

Although I frequently disagree with her...I didn't see her as remotely out of line there. At worst, merely ill-informed.