Getting angry with the media

They just did a little preview of tonights PS game. They showed 3 incomplete passes from TC from Edwards, and Shawn Springs said the only bright spots on our defense are Byrd and Maybin.

Really? I'm not bashing people because I'm a Bill's fan that can't accept reality -- it just seems that there is little or no effort by the media to even look into teams that aren't headliners....Aaron Shatz would fit in perfectly there...

They just did a little preview of tonights PS game. They showed 3 incomplete passes from TC from Edwards, and Shawn Springs said the only bright spots on our defense are Byrd and Maybin.

Really? I'm not bashing people because I'm a Bill's fan that can't accept reality -- it just seems that there is little or no effort by the media to even look into teams that aren't headliners....Aaron Shatz would fit in perfectly there...

Maybin? Are you sure he said Maybin? Hey, I'm as hopeful as the next guy about him, but to call him a "bright spot" before he has done anything is funny. If not emblematic of the problem with these "analysts."

Sadly, most of the national media gets paid for work they don't do but then again listen to Buffalo 'sports' radio and you'll find guys getting paid who pay no attention to sports whatsoever.

The mere fact that MAYBIN was profiled as a 'bright spot' means that his PR machine has reached the media ... would love for him to be a bright spot (not yet a fan of our #1 from last year but his attitude seems to be changed and tonight we will see if there is any evidence of it on the field).

It has been clear for a long time that ESPN has its favorites and is not impartial. And, if you read a lot of the national columnists you will see the same thing. And, the national radio guys love the players who show up for them but otherwise ... they don't care.

Once the season starts we will know our bright spots ...hopefully there will be quite a few of them! :thumbsup:

Maybe if the Bills put a competitive product on the field things would be different. :worthy:

You nailed it.

Back in '89 or so there was an SI cover titled "Big Bad Bills." It showed Biscuit, Talley, Bruce, and somebody else twisting a Raider up like a pretzel.

As a fan, one of the most strangely gratifying parts of the late-80's/early 90's was that the Bills, our Bills, were media darlings. Until things turn around on the field, they should be ignored by the national media.

Plus it's easier to sneak up on 'em that way! :thumbsup:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=117091

Does anyone expect the Bills to get any favorable attention from the media? The media sucks!!!

Unfortunately the problem is that the Bills have sucked for quite some time, and not only that, we're boring with no passing offense and are frankly...hard to watch for anyone but our fans. We have to change that.

The NFL media and to some degree the NFL itself is more show business now. They repeatedly praise the same teams and players and coaches. Teams like Buffalo do not merit any serious time for them; 32 teams are a lot to keep track of. So they parrot the old line that Buffalo is a disfunctional franchise with a really old owner and small market, etc. They don't take the team to explain what we all can see and that is the team has a new GM and coaching staff and a whole new attitude that the players are buying into and that the team is certainly headed in a much better direction than a year ago this time.

In a way this is a failure for writers like Tim Graham who have greater time to follow this team and report to his masters at ESPN that the Bills are improving, but he won't do that because he doesn't think the team is going to be very good this year. He would rather report that NE is poised for yet another great year and the Jets and Dolphins are both tough.

We'll see at the end of the year how right he was. I think the Bills will surprise somewhat this year and next year even ESPN will have a better viewpoint on the Bills.

Unfortunately the problem is that the Bills have sucked for quite some time, and not only that, we're boring with no passing offense and are frankly...hard to watch for anyone but our fans. We have to change that.

This pretty much sums it up. Boring is being kind.

Classic. I was watching NFL network last night too.. They were like.. I just don't know about what these guys are doing then they proceed to show three dropped passes in practice. One of the dropped passes was by #82 TE Michael Matthews whom I've never even heard of..

Jaime Dukes is a freakin windbag, terrible analyst. I don't know what that guy is doing on tv.

Until things turn around on the field, they should be ignored by the national media.

For ESPN or CBS or ABC, yeah I think you're right. But the network owned and run by the NFL should at least be accurate about what they're saying about teams. Those windbags on there don't even do their homework. On one of their features on all team, for the Bills segment they said things that just weren't true. Woodson said the Bills traded up for Edwards. Neither of the other guys corrected him. They made 2 other similar mistakes in that segment I can't remember now.

I also saw them do a thing on the Giants where they said the Giants had all the same coaches as last year. Uh, even I know they've added Perry and Dick.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, no one is entitled to their own facts. Unless you're on the NFL Channel that is.

And the way that Rich Eiason homers for Tom Brady makes my skin crawl.

Yeah I can't see how the 2nd best secondary in the league in 2009 could be viewed as a bright spot for the defense.... Go Aaron Maybe

It's an old story...

We are strong in pass defense! (we finished 30th in run defense last season - who would bother to pass against us?).

Or - we are strong in run defense! (they didn't run much, because they knew they could pass us silly).

Pick your year; the story has a regular rotation.

They don't take the team to explain what we all can see and that is the team has a new GM and coaching staff and a whole new attitude that the players are buying into and that the team is certainly headed in a much better direction than a year ago this time.

That's all well and good for Bills fans to Billieve. But it is meaningless on a national level. Fact of the matter is that we have a geriatric rookie GM, and a aging head coach who has been bouncing around from job to job his entire career. The national media do not give a rats hairy ass if the players are "buying into" anything. And the only things that have changed so far are the drafting of Spiller, changing defensive schemes, taking TVs out of the weight room (it was a VERY slow time for this to be "news"), and wearing pads from day 1 of camp.

The only thing that will, and should, make the national media stand up and take notice are when we start beating teams. In particular teams that they fawn all over like the Jets and Cheaters. Then, and only then, will they take the Buffalo Bills seriously ... and rightly so. The big question then becomes when, and if, that is likely to happen.

For ESPN or CBS or ABC, yeah I think you're right. But the network owned and run by the NFL should at least be accurate about what they're saying about teams. Those windbags on there don't even do their homework. On one of their features on all team, for the Bills segment they said things that just weren't true. Woodson said the Bills traded up for Edwards. Neither of the other guys corrected him. They made 2 other similar mistakes in that segment I can't remember now.

I also saw them do a thing on the Giants where they said the Giants had all the same coaches as last year. Uh, even I know they've added Perry and Dick.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, no one is entitled to their own facts. Unless you're on the NFL Channel that is.

And the way that Rich Eiason homers for Tom Brady makes my skin crawl.

I don't disagree with a single thing you said. And while NFL Net can be pretty bush-league at times, I think the main difference between you and me is one of expectations - You have some.

The only thing that will, and should, make the national media stand up and take notice are when we start beating teams. In particular teams that they fawn all over like the Jets and Cheaters. Then, and only then, will they take the Buffalo Bills seriously ... and rightly so. The big question then becomes when, and if, that is likely to happen.

Disparaging remarks on Nix aside, this about sums it up. Take it to the bank that most sports "journalists" do little if any homework and just ape what the conventional wisdom is....and the CW is that we have sucked for years and why expect anything else. Just win and that changes. Even then, the sports media will not correctily identify why we are winning and will be just as innaccurate. They can't help it, they're lame and we just have to suffer them. Bottom line, win.

I care not a whit for what others think about The Bills.

That goes for the media, fans of other teams and well, other Bills fans too.

I don't look to others to validate my feelings and beliefs.

Other people's opinions just don't matter to me that much.