Sale of 30% interest in an NFL team to "launch" in 9/10

i am aware that ralph is first and formost, a businessman. however, i do think he has established relationships in WNY that he cares about. i would assume he would have an open ear if some of these relationships are informing him that a deal can made with local interests to sell the team to. i cannot believe that he would not consider that somewhat of a priority. i cannot believe that he is not thinking in those terms.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he feels he is getting good value (say $250 million) for the 30% stake, the businessmen in Ralph would be inclined to take it. I never suggested he would sell below market value, or make a sweetheart team to a local interest.

Not necessarily. Every year that he is alive he can expect in the range of a $30-35 million profit. In addition, (estimating) if the team is appreciating at 7% the value of his franchise goes up $55-60 million. With respect to the Bills Ralph Wilson never had business partners or even minority partners. That is not how he operates. As I stated before he has operated the Bills for half a century in a certain way. I don't expect him to change how he operates.

Your points are well made and make sense. But your sense and my sense are not Ralph Wilson's sense. The owner has stated that owning the team is fun for him. He added, it keeps him going. I don't believe he is going to sell off any portion of it while he is alive. If he hasn't sold part of the business when he was 85, why not when he was 90, or 92?

this discussion is completely silly.

Ralph is a top notch businessman. He has attorneys working for him who understand the tax implications.

He does not own the team outright but owns the corporation who does; therefore the situation you are all describing isnt relevant.

Ralph cares very much about his legacy, and isnt going to "let the team leave with the highest bidder"

Yes, I have direct knowledge of this.

this discussion is completely silly.

Ralph is a top notch businessman. He has attorneys working for him who understand the tax implications.

He does not own the team outright but owns the corporation who does; therefore the situation you are all describing isnt relevant.

Ralph cares very much about his legacy, and isnt going to "let the team leave with the highest bidder"

Yes, I have direct knowledge of this.

i feel the same way about "how he feels about his legacy". just think he feels loyalty to the area. he can be both! a loyal man who is SHREWD BUSINESSMAN!

i feel the same way about "how he feels about his legacy". just think he feels loyalty to the area. he can be both! a loyal man who is SHREWD BUSINESSMAN!

too much self pity woe is me in WNY. Theres more money here than people think and I've spoken with the person who helped RW create the structure a long time ago.

He doesnt own this team like you own your house or car. Assurances and safeguards are in place. Its still possible the team leaves but it would look nothing like how people are describing it.

I don't know what you're getting at. Are you talking about after he dies? Right now Ralph is the sole owner. He can't give the team to his kids now because he would have to pay a gift tax (so that people can't just give away things before they die to avoid the estate tax.)

Paul Brown and son Mike beat the tax man. I wish I could recall the details - they somehow "lent" a substantial portion of the team's value to a family friend, and were able in large part avoid taxation on the franchise's appreciation in value.

too much self pity woe is me in WNY. Theres more money here than people think and I've spoken with the person who helped RW create the structure a long time ago.

He doesnt own this team like you own your house or car. Assurances and safeguards are in place. Its still possible the team leaves but it would look nothing like how people are describing it.

i guess that is somewhat comforting, but i have maintained that if the L A market gets filled (by another franchise), there isnt any viable other places. toronto?, no suitable stadium, none in the works. i have felt that something you are describing was in place.

i guess that is somewhat comforting, but i have maintained that if the L A market gets filled (by another franchise), there isnt any viable other places. toronto?, no suitable stadium, none in the works. i have felt that something you are describing was in place.

The NFL wants LA bad, they feel its the best market opportunity.

Jaguars are going to LA. It's inevitable.

The Bills will not move in the forseeable future. IF they do, it would be only after every effort was made to keep them here.

The NFL does not need or want another PR disaster like the Browns on their hands. Loyal, blue collar fans who pack the stadium having their team RIPPED from them.

The Jags, quite frankly, few would care. People in Jacksonville apparently don't even care enough about the team to go to games.

from what ive heard, the bills are a possibility, but not the target.

i think that "possibility" stems from the fear factor. that is attributable to what is being discussed. the lack of a succession plan. if there was one, the bills would not be a "possibility". you are saying and i agree, that there are people with bucks in WNY and that should negate the bills as a "possibility", but until ralph dies or something changes about what happens upon his death, that "possibiilty" will never go away.

Jaguars are going to LA. It's inevitable.

The Bills will not move in the forseeable future. IF they do, it would be only after every effort was made to keep them here.

The NFL does not need or want another PR disaster like the Browns on their hands. Loyal, blue collar fans who pack the stadium having their team RIPPED from them.

The Jags, quite frankly, few would care. People in Jacksonville apparently don't even care enough about the team to go to games.

Oh? When are they moving? Where is the stadium they are moving to?

And what is the history of the people in LA? Have they cared enough to go to games?

Al Davis born 1929

Bill Bidwell born 1931

Virginia McCaskey born 1923

Jerry Jones born 1942

Pat Bowlen born 1944

William Clay Ford, Sr. born 1924

Tom Benson born 1927

John Mara born 1954

Steve Tisch born 1949

Alex Spanos born 1923

Bud Adams born 1923

Ralph Wilson born 1918 isn't that unique. I submit that all of these owners need to consider estate planning.

Al Davis born 1929 - I doubt it. Al will hold on til the reaper

Bill Bidwell born 1931 - No way. keep in family

Virginia McCaskey born 1923 - Possibly

Jerry Jones born 1942 - No way. Keep in family

Pat Bowlen born 1944 - Very distinct possibility

William Clay Ford, Sr. born 1924 - No way. Keep in family

Tom Benson born 1927 - Possibly

John Mara born 1954 - No way. Keep in family

Steve Tisch born 1949 - No way. Keep in family

Alex Spanos born 1923 - Very possible

Bud Adams born 1923 - Same as Big Al.

My gut goes with the Chargers. Spanos is old and didn't isn't his trucking company doing crappy? Also I believe the family announced not too long ago his health is declining.

here's all the info on the stadium you need if a team came to LA

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

honestly, living in LA and being from western NY, these people don't care about the NFL. I think even if a team does move here, they will pay little attention to it. Yes maybe at first, but the friggin stadium they wanna build is pretty far away. Especially far away from where all the actual money is in LA, which is the west side. With no public transportation thats any good and highways that are jam packed, it would be such a pain to get there. Every other major LA sport is centrally located and easy to get to. Idk just my 2 cents

There might have been a period of time a very long time ago where he might have made more money moving to another market, even that is disputatble, but that was at least 20 yrs ago or longer. Ralph has done quite well in the western NY market. A stadium was built for him and it was later upgraded with no contribution from him. While the team has been very poor on the field for a decade and still counting he has still made a sizeable profit during that same wretched football period.

Ralph could have moved the team anytime up until when Houston was looking to replace the departed Oilers (1997, the year prior to Ralph looking for a commitment from WNY) with no financial commitment/debt on his part. After that all of the feasible markets, outside of LA (which has been a repeated failure, casting doubt on it being a "feasible" market) were tapped-out. And with the 2006 CBA, the cost of relocation has gone up exponentially and will continue to do so, while the economy is a major impediment to new locations providing substantial monies for new stadiums. So the team is the safest it has ever been. But there are still no guarantees.

And do you know who paid for that shiny and new Texans stadium, John? I can tell you one person who didn't, besides Ralph. :thumbsup:

BTW, this 30% sale isn't for the Bills. Kelly already has stated he wants-in and it won't take a 3rd party to get it done.

here's all the info on the stadium you need if a team came to LA

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

honestly, living in LA and being from western NY, these people don't care about the NFL. I think even if a team does move here, they will pay little attention to it. Yes maybe at first, but the friggin stadium they wanna build is pretty far away. Especially far away from where all the actual money is in LA, which is the west side. With no public transportation thats any good and highways that are jam packed, it would be such a pain to get there. Every other major LA sport is centrally located and easy to get to. Idk just my 2 cents

And, yet, (mysteriously) you continue to live there. :thumbsup:

I'd do the same thing if I were you.

I don't suppose you'd be in a position to elaborate a bit on this, perhaps?