Pats strong interest in Schoebel

drewfla

Per rotoworld:

Mike Giardi of CSNNE reports that a source tells him the Patriots have a "strong interest" in free agent Aaron Schobel.

Giardi adds that unlike Junior Seau, Schobel is looking for big money. Long a Patriot killer, Schobel would join Tully Banta-Cain as a starting outside linebacker, relegating Rob Ninkovich and rookie Jermaine Cunningham to backup duty. The Patriots' ability to bring Schobel on board hinges on whether he's willing to play in New England. Schobel's indicated all along that playing for his hometown Houston Texans is his priority. Aug. 8 - 10:51 am et

Source: Mike Giardi on Twitter

Everyone still on board with this decision? I hate this decision. He has been our ONLY pass rush threat.

Misplayed from the start but I asked myself what if Aaron decided to show up to 1BD and passed the physical, what then?? Do we pay the man $6 M & tell the rest of the team that their hard work means little to a guy just showing up?? I think that the better part of saying goodbye is that if someone chooses to play games against the team, they're not part of the team.

Aaron didn't fit in our defense and with his mindset, a very late draft pick at best would of been available. We showed the team that their commitment does outweigh previous players trying to get their way, Bills coaches are in charge. This message was heard loud and clear.

Per rotoworld:

Mike Giardi of CSNNE reports that a source tells him the Patriots have a "strong interest" in free agent Aaron Schobel.

Giardi adds that unlike Junior Seau, Schobel is looking for big money. Long a Patriot killer, Schobel would join Tully Banta-Cain as a starting outside linebacker, relegating Rob Ninkovich and rookie Jermaine Cunningham to backup duty. The Patriots' ability to bring Schobel on board hinges on whether he's willing to play in New England. Schobel's indicated all along that playing for his hometown Houston Texans is his priority. Aug. 8 - 10:51 am et

Source: Mike Giardi on Twitter

Everyone still on board with this decision? I hate this decision. He has been our ONLY pass rush threat.

I still think we should have traded him to the Texans for a 7th round pick. The Texans could have reworked his deal or just paid him what he was due from his Buffalo deal. BUT I don't think the Pats* will get him as they play a 3-4 a system Schobel at age 32 doesn't want to have to go out and learn. The Texans will sign him he has everything he wants from the Texans a 4-3 team with a dominant pass rusher on the other side of him.

All in all I don't see Schobel looking for revenge against Buffalo because what the hell did we do to him. We didn't hold him hostage here we released him when he wanted a release and we paid him a fat contract as well we just couldn't put a winning team together. The Texans get him but still I thought we could have gotten a 7th rounder out of him which would have been better then nothing.

Here is hoping that that mush brings the playoff drought he brought here to Buffalo to New England or Houston or wherever he lands.

His after the game is over technical sacks are legendary. Rest your starters and Aaron looks better, what a coincidence.

"Long a Patriot[*] killer"

:worthy::lol:

Hmm. I must've missed something. AS may have gotten to Brady more than anyone else, but that doesn't make him a "Paytoilet* killer." It means he could get coverage / garbage-time sacks when the main draft investments in the past 15 years --- the secondary --- could hold their own for 6 friggin' seconds until Schoebel, Kelsay et al circled around after getting the matador treatment by so many Left or Right Tackles.

Not saying that production will go up w/o AS, or that it'll even stay the same b/c even his clean-up technique was the best we had with a FO busy drafting CBs, Safeties, and RBs when we didn't need them.

Just another symptom showing that 93 percent of the NFL's product is hype.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but despite whatever numbers on the back of a football card and the popularity contest that is the Pro Bowl (and which the NFLPA primarily uses to "make the boats float higher" for Franchi$e and Tran$ition Tag purposes (see: Jason Peters)), Mr. Schoebel was not a consistent game-changer and above all was definitely not a game-changer against good teams.

I still think we should have traded him to the Texans for a 7th round pick. The Texans could have reworked his deal or just paid him what he was due from his Buffalo deal. BUT I don't think the Pats* will get him as they play a 3-4 a system Schobel at age 32 doesn't want to have to go out and learn. The Texans will sign him he has everything he wants from the Texans a 4-3 team with a dominant pass rusher on the other side of him.

All in all I don't see Schobel looking for revenge against Buffalo because what the hell did we do to him. We didn't hold him hostage here we released him when he wanted a release and we paid him a fat contract as well we just couldn't put a winning team together. The Texans get him but still I thought we could have gotten a 7th rounder out of him which would have been better then nothing.

You assume they would offer anything for him. Why would any team trade for a player they know will be cut loose eventually? Especially one with a huge contract? BTW, there was a reason why the Bills couldn't rework AS's contract for a trade.

PTR

Here is hoping that that mush brings the playoff drought he brought here to Buffalo to New England or Houston or wherever he lands.

Oh how sweet it will be if the Bills go to the playoffs and the Patriots sit!

the texans would be smart to sign him. with cushing out for the first part of the season they will need a playmaker in their front seven. schobel gives them a nice force opposite maro williams and maybe he can get after peyton a couple times a year.