8/4 Camp Report

Thoner7

I want to try and stay away from "he looked good he looked bad" because that can be subjective/biased. What I will do is report on where they had players and who was starting ect.

It was pretty obvious that Trent was the starter. From walk throughs, 7v7, 11v11, he took 100% of the 1st team snaps. Fitz and Brohm split the other reps and Brown got very few. If this practice was any indication of how camp has gone so far, and unless their are injuries or something major changes in the preseason, Trent will be starting day 1.

- I know I wanted to stay unbiased, but Fitz looked bad. If this is how the majority of his camp goes, he is gone. I also have on some good authority he is not impressing some of the FO. I expect him to get the ax.

Wood/Wang/Bell were wearing shorts all day and weren't in. The starting line was Merideth/Levitre/Hangman/Jason Watkins/Green. This unit stayed together throughout the practice. Meredith didn't look too bad. On one play he had to get a nice arm bar on Maybin to prevent a sack. That would have been a hold (unless we were playing the Patsies*). Who knows if Bell comes back to start, but last night that was the unit. I saw Calloway at both G and RT. He was ran around like a pylon by Maybin at T 2 or 3 times in 11v11, so I think he will be a G moving forward.

Stevie Johnson saw the most work at WR#2. Parrish was in the slot a lot. Easley was out. One guy who was out there a lot was #86 David Nelson. He was used in the 4 WR set and was put in motion a lot. He may have been filling in for Shawn Nelson, because I didn't see him when they were working on it, but I did see him later in the practice in pads, so I'm not sure which guy is the 4th guy out there. They are both big at 6'5'' so they could have the same role on those plays. It looks like Stevie J will be the # 2 v Washington, and if he performs well, to start the season too.

RBs there is not much to say. #30 Chad Simpson was pretty impressive. He was the 3rd RB, but he had a lot of good runs. If he can play on ST he should make the team.

On D there were a lot of shakeups. Poz Kelsay, and Ellison were out so the starting inside backers were Davis/Mitchell. The OLBs were Ellis and Torbor. The OLB backups were Maybin and Coleman. When Ellis/Torbor were in they used a strong side/weak side backer setup with Ellis as the strong side, following the TEs to that side of the field. When Maybin came in they left him on the right side. Ellis looked good and I think he will be the starter - I dont see Kelsay beating anyone out.

In the nickle, they went into a 40 front were Ellis moved to RDE, Edwards went to LDE and Williams Stroud inside at DT. Mitchell stayed on the field and Bryant Scott came in to play LB, with Whitner and Byrd at safety. In the Dime, Corner replaced Scott and Maybin replaced Edwards. With the 2s, Carrington went to RDE in a 40 front when they went nickle.

Whitner took all the 1st team reps at SS, Byrd at FS. McKelvin filled in a lot for McGee, whose reps were limited. He was the #1 CB with the 1s when McGee was out, and also the nickle Cb with the 2s. This makes me think he is slotted to be the nickle CB this season as of right now. Although they did have Florence lined up on parrish in the slot a few times with the 1s with McGee and McKelvin on the outside. Either way CB is not a position to worry about.

Now to move onto my impressions of the players. Its no secret QB is a weak position on this team and that was evident yesterday. Edwards has the upper hand, but didn't look great by any means. The OL opened a few very good holes. Jackson/Lynch/Simpson each broke through into teh second level for long runs. I was impressed by our run blocking and that should held our chances this season. Our DBs blanketed our WRs most of the night. Maybin looked quick and fast off the line, but he was out of position on a reverse while playing LDE in the dime. He ran circles around Calloway while Calloway was at RT, but going agaisnt Chambers he was swallowed up. It looked like Calloway just couldnt handle the speed of Maybin, and Maybin couldnt handle the strength of Chambers as Chambers could handle Maybins speed. As I said before Maybin drew a holding penalty on Merideth, but for the other plays he was in, Merideth pushed him upfield and out of the way. Maybin actually got a lot more reps at DE in a 40 front than LB in a 30 front - and he looked a lot better there too. I expect him to be a situational pass rusher this season. Hopefully as teh season goes on he can produce as a LB, but he wasnt doing much last night.

Thanks Thoner. I can't tell you how good it is to have you and others out there reporting for TSW. I'm very interested in the progress of Troup and Carrington. I hope they can figure out how to get some production out of Maybin. I agree with you that he's not starting linebacker material yet.

Thanks Thoner. I can't tell you how good it is to have you and others out there reporting for TSW. I'm very interested in the progress of Troup and Carrington. I hope they can figure out how to get some production out of Maybin. I agree with you that he's not starting linebacker material yet.

Troup worked primarily with and against teh 2econd teamers, but it was evident he was a good anchor there. He is a fireblug no doubt about it. Kyle Williams added a little bit of a gut and is very good so I dont see him getting benched for Troup. I think we have 2 very good NTs to work with.

I think it was a big endorsement of Carrington to leave him at RDE in the 40 front when the team went nickle. I dont think the coaching staff would do that if he couldnt rush the passer. We are gonna need those 2 guys moving forward thats for sure - and if Stroud wears down over the season like he has the past few we could see a lot of both.

Guest dog14787

Thanks Thoner7,

All of you fellas with these excellent training camp reports are very much appreciated :doh:

Troup worked primarily with and against teh 2econd teamers, but it was evident he was a good anchor there. He is a fireblug no doubt about it. Kyle Williams added a little bit of a gut and is very good so I dont see him getting benched for Troup. I think we have 2 very good NTs to work with.

I think it was a big endorsement of Carrington to leave him at RDE in the 40 front when the team went nickle. I dont think the coaching staff would do that if he couldnt rush the passer. We are gonna need those 2 guys moving forward thats for sure - and if Stroud wears down over the season like he has the past few we could see a lot of both.

Excellent. I actually had a chance to watch Troup play once or twice in his college days and thought he could be a beast. Carrington just seems to be a talent - big, fast and with upside as a pass rusher. I also appreciate your thoughful analysis here. It's good to hear your reasoning for why you think some players are doing well rather than just hearing 'they looked good" etc. Thanks again.

I read how the run blocking has been excellent, and I'm not trying to be a jerk or pee on our running game...But is it possible at all that our run game is excellent because our run defense still sucks like last year? Just curious on opinions.

Well, as everyone knows, there's a yin-yang to the whole "scrimmaging against your own team" ritual.

It's easy to draw conclusions but it's hard to say which ones are valid until we start playing other teams.

We know that the Bills were a pretty good running team last year.

We know that one of the big emphases for the offense has been running the football. All the reports previous to camp and during the camp are that the cornerstone of Gailey's offense will be running the football.

I tend to think the Bills are developing into a good running team with the ability to pound big backs and free up scatbacks as a change up.

Of course I haven't answered your question.

The defense was poor against the rush last year. But they are running a different scheme and have new personnel so it really is hard to say what is going on as far as camp workouts go.

Basically a long-winded way of saying we have to wait till we play the games to find out.

I want to try and stay away from "he looked good he looked bad" because that can be subjective/biased. What I will do is report on where they had players and who was starting ect.

It was pretty obvious that Trent was the starter. From walk throughs, 7v7, 11v11, he took 100% of the 1st team snaps. Fitz and Brohm split the other reps and Brown got very few. If this practice was any indication of how camp has gone so far, and unless their are injuries or something major changes in the preseason, Trent will be starting day 1.

- I know I wanted to stay unbiased, but Fitz looked bad. If this is how the majority of his camp goes, he is gone. I also have on some good authority he is not impressing some of the FO. I expect him to get the ax.

Wood/Wang/Bell were wearing shorts all day and weren't in. The starting line was Merideth/Levitre/Hangman/Jason Watkins/Green. This unit stayed together throughout the practice. Meredith didn't look too bad. On one play he had to get a nice arm bar on Maybin to prevent a sack. That would have been a hold (unless we were playing the Patsies*). Who knows if Bell comes back to start, but last night that was the unit. I saw Calloway at both G and RT. He was ran around like a pylon by Maybin at T 2 or 3 times in 11v11, so I think he will be a G moving forward.

Stevie Johnson saw the most work at WR#2. Parrish was in the slot a lot. Easley was out. One guy who was out there a lot was #86 David Nelson. He was used in the 4 WR set and was put in motion a lot. He may have been filling in for Shawn Nelson, because I didn't see him when they were working on it, but I did see him later in the practice in pads, so I'm not sure which guy is the 4th guy out there. They are both big at 6'5'' so they could have the same role on those plays. It looks like Stevie J will be the # 2 v Washington, and if he performs well, to start the season too.

RBs there is not much to say. #30 Chad Simpson was pretty impressive. He was the 3rd RB, but he had a lot of good runs. If he can play on ST he should make the team.

On D there were a lot of shakeups. Poz Kelsay, and Ellison were out so the starting inside backers were Davis/Mitchell. The OLBs were Ellis and Torbor. The OLB backups were Maybin and Coleman. When Ellis/Torbor were in they used a strong side/weak side backer setup with Ellis as the strong side, following the TEs to that side of the field. When Maybin came in they left him on the right side. Ellis looked good and I think he will be the starter - I dont see Kelsay beating anyone out.

In the nickle, they went into a 40 front were Ellis moved to RDE, Edwards went to LDE and Williams Stroud inside at DT. Mitchell stayed on the field and Bryant Scott came in to play LB, with Whitner and Byrd at safety. In the Dime, Corner replaced Scott and Maybin replaced Edwards. With the 2s, Carrington went to RDE in a 40 front when they went nickle.

Whitner took all the 1st team reps at SS, Byrd at FS. McKelvin filled in a lot for McGee, whose reps were limited. He was the #1 CB with the 1s when McGee was out, and also the nickle Cb with the 2s. This makes me think he is slotted to be the nickle CB this season as of right now. Although they did have Florence lined up on parrish in the slot a few times with the 1s with McGee and McKelvin on the outside. Either way CB is not a position to worry about.

Now to move onto my impressions of the players. Its no secret QB is a weak position on this team and that was evident yesterday. Edwards has the upper hand, but didn't look great by any means. The OL opened a few very good holes. Jackson/Lynch/Simpson each broke through into teh second level for long runs. I was impressed by our run blocking and that should held our chances this season. Our DBs blanketed our WRs most of the night. Maybin looked quick and fast off the line, but he was out of position on a reverse while playing LDE in the dime. He ran circles around Calloway while Calloway was at RT, but going agaisnt Chambers he was swallowed up. It looked like Calloway just couldnt handle the speed of Maybin, and Maybin couldnt handle the strength of Chambers as Chambers could handle Maybins speed. As I said before Maybin drew a holding penalty on Merideth, but for the other plays he was in, Merideth pushed him upfield and out of the way. Maybin actually got a lot more reps at DE in a 40 front than LB in a 30 front - and he looked a lot better there too. I expect him to be a situational pass rusher this season. Hopefully as teh season goes on he can produce as a LB, but he wasnt doing much last night.

I look forward to your postings, thank you.