Sleep Apnea - My Wake Up Call

ajzepp

Whats wrong with reading in bed? I do it every night, get maybe 10-15 pages, bang out for the night.

It's the advice they (you know, "they" "them") give to people who have trouble going to sleep. If you sleep fine after reading, keep reading.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one! It works pretty good for me. Unlike the OP, I only had one woman comment about it and that was enough! I went to sleep study etc and got CPAP. Didn't really work for me. couldn't sleep with it. CPAP tech was not very helpful. so went to a different doc and had another study etc. Now I am using the machine and my sleep is better. Not way way way better like some people talk about. My main problem now is that my wife, who is a very light sleeper, still complains that the much quieter sound of the machine is still too loud and once she wakes up, she hears it, and can't go back to sleep. I've done the sleep in the other room thing sometimes. she doesn't seem to like that either. We've been married for 13 years so it's not like I'm missing out on a lot (if any) sex by doing this. TMI I know.

Bottom line is if the thing isn't working for you, go to a different clinic. The people at the one I go to now actually work with me and it has made a big difference.

Also, if you think sleep apnea and treatment is for wimps, think again. Bruce Smith has sleep apnea too!

We had similar experiences. My first go at a CPAP was a disaster, and the sleep tech was worthless. A few years later I gave it another go, and things were completely different. I had a great tech who really worked with me to find the right machine and mask.

I have to have exhale pressure relief. Respironics call it C-FLEX, but others have it under a different name.

A heated humidifier is a must for me. I found the unheated humidifier worthless.

Some sort of Ramp function is nice. It was a MUST for me for awhile. Ramp simply give you less pressure when you first put the mask on, for a certain amount of time. Then it increases to your normal level. This helps for those who can't get used to the blowing (hehe hehe). I find I use it less often now, as i am used to the pressure and actually kind of prefer it.

I went from a very expensive Respironics (the motherboard fried) to this nice, inexpensive machine:

http://www.amazon.com/DeVilbiss-IntelliPAP-Standard-Humidification-DV51D-HH/dp/B001PBAHB0

It's really great. VERY quiet. Made in the USA, too, with a 3-year warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using my sleep machine for a couple weeks now, and so far, so good...my kids confirm my snoring has stopped. I do wake up alot easier, can't really say i am more 'refreshed' but i do wake up easier. right now have the mask that covers the nose...think i want to try the nasal things see how that goes....now some entrepenuer needs to stylize them so the ladies fall for a guy wearing a breathing machine in bed...... :blush:

I have been using my sleep machine for a couple weeks now, and so far, so good...my kids confirm my snoring has stopped. I do wake up alot easier, can't really say i am more 'refreshed' but i do wake up easier. right now have the mask that covers the nose...think i want to try the nasal things see how that goes....now some entrepenuer needs to stylize them so the ladies fall for a guy wearing a breathing machine in bed...... :blush:

I love the nasal pillows, never had the mask so I can't compare the two but the nasal pillows are small and allow for more movement while sleeping. As a person who tosses and turns much of the night, this really suits my sleep habits.

:thumbsup: Glad it's going well!

• 9 months later...

Hey guys...thought I'd check in with an update.

I've been really bad about replacing my mask. Until today, I've been using the same one since the first day I got the machine! lol Anyway, I was doing some research and found one that really looked promising. I called up my respiratory therapist and asked him to order me one...he wasn't all that excited about it since he doesn't make any money selling me this one, but he was cool enough to help me out anyway.

So today it showed up, and I've already gotten it fitted properly and ready to go for tonight. I fired up the CPAP for about ten mins with the mask on, and so far it's A HUGE upgrade over my first mask. There is no forehead piece, so that's a plus...and the seal is much better on my face. It's also MUCH lighter and I love that it has clips that allow me to keep the tensioning consistent each night.

Here is a link to the one I picked up: New Mask

Have you guys tried any different masks or machines? How is everyone doing with it?

Hey guys...thought I'd check in with an update.

I've been really bad about replacing my mask. Until today, I've been using the same one since the first day I got the machine! lol Anyway, I was doing some research and found one that really looked promising. I called up my respiratory therapist and asked him to order me one...he wasn't all that excited about it since he doesn't make any money selling me this one, but he was cool enough to help me out anyway.

So today it showed up, and I've already gotten it fitted properly and ready to go for tonight. I fired up the CPAP for about ten mins with the mask on, and so far it's A HUGE upgrade over my first mask. There is no forehead piece, so that's a plus...and the seal is much better on my face. It's also MUCH lighter and I love that it has clips that allow me to keep the tensioning consistent each night.

Here is a link to the one I picked up: New Mask

Have you guys tried any different masks or machines? How is everyone doing with it?

I still have the nasal pillows. I haven't had to replace anything since I got the machine (little over a year). I love the nasal pillows and recommend them to anyone over that enormous bulky mask. The pillows are light, small and you barely notice them. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=nasal+pillows&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=4HR&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=639&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15691761143711562624&sa=X&ei=rhKLTp7XHMTm0QGWw-zeBA&ved=0CGcQ8wIwAA

I really would recommend them to any of you that have the regular mask, it is so much better IMO.

Wow very strange that this thread pops back up today almost a year after it disappeared since my Dr told me this morning that she's scheduling me for a sleep study. Snoring is getting worse. Wife says she has only heard me gasp for air once...doc says once is enough.

Edited by WWVaBeach

Wow very strange that this thread pops back up today almost a year after it disappeared since my Dr told me this morning that she's scheduling me for a sleep study. Snoring is getting worse. Wife says she has only heard me gasp for air once...doc says once is enough.

You have a smart doc :thumbsup:

I still have the nasal pillows. I haven't had to replace anything since I got the machine (little over a year). I love the nasal pillows and recommend them to anyone over that enormous bulky mask. The pillows are light, small and you barely notice them. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=nasal+pillows&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=4HR&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=639&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15691761143711562624&sa=X&ei=rhKLTp7XHMTm0QGWw-zeBA&ved=0CGcQ8wIwAA

I really would recommend them to any of you that have the regular mask, it is so much better IMO.

I really wish I could try those...my doc says "no", though. Apparently my apnea is too severe right now that he wants me on the full mask until I get some weight off.

After last night, though, I'm much happier than I was before. This new mask is so much lighter and quieter that it was really quite a difference. And the big news? I was able to lay on my SIDE alllll night!!!! lol This maks seals MUCH better than my last one, and I feel as if I have much more freedom of movement with regard to head position.

I strongly recommend you guys try out some different masks if you're not happy with your current one...or go with nasal pillows, like Wooderson said...there's just no reason to not use the cpap when there are options out there than can work.

I weigh about 425 lbs (Almost as much as Chris Christy}

Back in 2006, my doctor suspected that a guy my age, and being "circus fat", I might have sleep apnea, so he sent me for a test. I suspected he was right because my wife said I would stop breathing in my sleep

I used to get up to pee about 4 times per night, and I would always wake up with a headache, even if I had not been drinking

I have since used my CPAP every night. No more headaches. No more getting up to pee

It took a little while to get used to, but when I would take it off while sleeping, my snoring would wake my wife, and she would "throw me a 'bow" and I would put it back on

I never go without it now, and I even take it out of town

I have dreams I can't breath and wake up sit bolt upright gasping for air. So I could probably use this. Here's the thing though. Wife says I don't snore. I used to, to the point she'd wear ear plugs but I haven't sored in a couple of years.

I weigh about 425 lbs (Almost as much as Chris Christy}

Back in 2006, my doctor suspected that a guy my age, and being "circus fat", I might have sleep apnea, so he sent me for a test. I suspected he was right because my wife said I would stop breathing in my sleep

I used to get up to pee about 4 times per night, and I would always wake up with a headache, even if I had not been drinking

I have since used my CPAP every night. No more headaches. No more getting up to pee

It took a little while to get used to, but when I would take it off while sleeping, my snoring would wake my wife, and she would "throw me a 'bow" and I would put it back on

I never go without it now, and I even take it out of town

That's good your wife helps "nudge" you to put it back on. I often find that I will doze off with the damn thing in my hand, and next thing I know it's morning

I have dreams I can't breath and wake up sit bolt upright gasping for air. So I could probably use this. Here's the thing though. Wife says I don't snore. I used to, to the point she'd wear ear plugs but I haven't sored in a couple of years.

Yep, I'd definitely go for a sleep study. It's really not as bad as it sounds. The biggest pain in the butt is getting you hooked up to all the wires and sensors. Once that's done, you just watch some tv, chill, and then try to sleep a few hours...they wake you up around 5 or 6am and you go home.

That's good your wife helps "nudge" you to put it back on. I often find that I will doze off with the damn thing in my hand, and next thing I know it's morning

Yep, I'd definitely go for a sleep study. It's really not as bad as it sounds. The biggest pain in the butt is getting you hooked up to all the wires and sensors. Once that's done, you just watch some tv, chill, and then try to sleep a few hours...they wake you up around 5 or 6am and you go home.

I usually also wake up with the "damn thing" in my hand, but the CPAP mask is still on my face

I usually also wake up with the "damn thing" in my hand, but the CPAP mask is still on my face

LOL, that's marriage for ya, brother!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys....found a neat product I thought I'd share with you all. I just placed my order tonight, so can't really offer any feedback yet, but wanted to at least give you a heads up.

Here is the website: www.cpapseal.com

I'm tired of always having to sleep on my back, cause whenever I change position the mask tends to develop a leak or starts up with the face farts. I was looking at some mask liners on the market when I came across this product. It's basically a gel cushion that helps provide the best seal and comfort when wearing the mask. They have a money back guarantee with trial period, so figured I'd give it a go. It lasts for up to a year, so I figure if it works, then $35 a year is a small price to pay for less mask hassle.

I'll let you know how it works!

• 4 months later...

Just got my sleep study results back and it's worse than I was expecting! "Extremely severe sleap anpea" Slept 402 minutes and my airway was blocked 556 times(stopped breathing 83 times per hour). Oxygen levels dropped as low as 72%. My AHI was 83. Now I need to wait until 4/1 to get my final overnight study with my CPAP settings. Really can't wait until this is over and I can start getting a decent nights sleep.

Edited by chknwing334