Sleep Apnea - My Wake Up Call

ajzepp

As Lana and many, many,many other women can attest to, I have had a bit of a snoring issue for a while now. As some of you know, I had a pretty severe back injury back about 7 years ago and it's been a real struggle to get my physical health back ever since. My tolerance for activity is reduced, and subsequently I've gained a fair bit of weight since the incident. One of the common problems associated with weight gain is snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. So anyway, over the past couple of years I've been having more warning signs of impaired sleep pop up, and I finally went for a sleep study last night.

For those who don't know, a sleep study is where you are hooked up to all sorts of wires, electrodes,and electronic equipment and your sleep is analyzed in its entirety for one night. As I was getting settled in by the nurse, she looked at me and said, "I'm going to go ahead and measure you for a mask and then leave it here by the bed just in case your oxygen level drops out." Now I was pretty sure I had some apnea going on, but I wasn't THAT worried about my oxygen bottoming out because I typically wake up when I have an episode of apnea. Well, after struggling to get to sleep on my own for a couple of hours, I must have finally dozed off into a deep sleep. The next thing I remember is not just the one nurse, but another fellow dude nurse who came with her. They were preparing the mask she had left next to the bed earlier in the night, and I immediately asked, "wow, how low did it drop?" She looked back and me and said, "well, I had the alarm set on the pulse ox (device that measures the oxygen saturation of your red blood cells) at 59." Having measured the oxygen saturation on hundreds of patients over the years, I knew that what she was saying was that my oxygen saturation, which is usually between 92-100% in a normal, healthy individual, had dropped below 59%. The last time I saw someone with a sat that low, they ended up in the morgue a few hours later.

Naturally I freaked out quite a bit, as I never expected that my oxygen was doing that, but I'm just glad that I took the steps to have the sleep study done before I paid a more severe price than some daytime sleepiness and disruptive snoring. Sleep apnea is very serious and can result in severe cardiovascular complications including heart attack and stroke, high blood pressure, and the increased likelihood of falling asleep while driving. I'm posting a couple of resources below in case you guys want to read about it a little more, but I hope you'll all take this condition very seriously. If you (or your wife, girlfriend, etc) think you might have an issue with snoring and or apnea, go talk to your doctor and see if you're a candidate for a sleep study. Most insurance plans will cover it, and it could literally save your life.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE57H0CP20090818

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep...th-risks?page=2

http://www.sleepapnea.org/

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Lana and many, many,many other women can attest to, I have had a bit of a snoring issue for a while now. As some of you know, I had a pretty severe back injury back about 7 years ago and it's been a real struggle to get my physical health back ever since. My tolerance for activity is reduced, and subsequently I've gained a fair bit of weight since the incident. One of the common problems associated with weight gain is snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. So anyway, over the past couple of years I've been having more warning signs of impaired sleep pop up, and I finally went for a sleep study last night.

For those who don't know, a sleep study is where you are hooked up to all sorts of wires, electrodes,and electronic equipment and your sleep is analyzed in its entirety for one night. As I was getting settled in by the nurse, she looked at me and said, "I'm going to go ahead and measure you for a mask and then leave it here by the bed just in case your oxygen level drops out." Now I was pretty sure I had some apnea going on, but I wasn't THAT worried about my oxygen bottoming out because I typically wake up when I have an episode of apnea. Well, after struggling to get to sleep on my own for a couple of hours, I must have finally dozed off into a deep sleep. The next thing I remember is not just the one nurse, but another fellow dude nurse who came with her. They were preparing the mask she had left next to the bed earlier in the night, and I immediately asked, "wow, how low did it drop?" She looked back and me and said, "well, I had the alarm set on the pulse ox (device that measures the oxygen saturation of your red blood cells) at 59." Having measured the oxygen saturation on hundreds of patients over the years, I knew that what she was saying was that my oxygen saturation, which is usually between 92-100% in a normal, healthy individual, had dropped below 59%. The last time I saw someone with a sat that low, they ended up in the morgue a few hours later.

Naturally I freaked out quite a bit, as I never expected that my oxygen was doing that, but I'm just glad that I took the steps to have the sleep study done before I paid a more severe price than some daytime sleepiness and disruptive snoring. Sleep apnea is very serious and can result in severe cardiovascular complications including heart attack and stroke, high blood pressure, and the increased likelihood of falling asleep while driving. I'm posting a couple of resources below in case you guys want to read about it a little more, but I hope you'll all take this condition very seriously. If you (or your wife, girlfriend, etc) think you might have an issue with snoring and or apnea, go talk to your doctor and see if you're a candidate for a sleep study. Most insurance plans will cover it, and it could literally save your life.

Wow, aj, that's some pretty scary stuff. As one of the increasingly few reliably good posters on this board, make sure that you stick around.

Is losing weight the solution to the problem?

Wow zepp, I'm glad you got it taken care of sooner rather than later.

I actually had a sleep study performed on myself a few months ago because like you, I had a terrible issue with snoring. I ended up being diagnosed with "mild sleep apnea" and they gave me the option of getting the mask or going without it. I figured, what the hell might as well get it and see if it helps. I've had it for a little over two months and I've had a lot of issues with the mask. I toss and turn alot when I sleep so many times I'll wake up in the middle of the night and the mask will be completely off my face. It's a struggle for me to use it for the whole night, but that's just me.

I don't want to make light of the sleep apnea situation. It is a serious health concern and quality-of-life concern.

But I still chucked at the "many, many,many other women" intro.

Yes death is definitely a quality-of-life concern.

I don't want to make light of the sleep apnea situation. It is a serious health concern and quality-of-life concern.

I'm pretty sure I've got moderately bad sleep apnea (at best).

But then, I'm going to die someday anyway, so what do I care?

Join the club, aj.

I suspect they will try to get you to use a CPAP (or APAP or some B-PAP, or whatever variation you need). It will be tough to adapt to, most likely, but my advice is to give it your best effort. But, let them know if you are not comfortable because there are many different types of masks and machines. Finding the right one for you will make a huge difference, and it's their job to do just that.

My first experience with a CPAP in Niagara Falls was miserable, and I never got used to wearing the damn mask. The person in charge was not very attentive and had few alternatives for me. OTOH, when I got retested, and re-prescribed a CPAP in San Fran, they did a fabulous job of finding me the right machine and mask.

I couldn't use a full mask, and have to use one with nasal pillows, like this: http://www.cpapdiscountstore.com/catalog/images/Breeze.jpg

Also I have to have a machine that has some sort of exhale pressure relief (like C-Flex), a ramp-up setting and a heated humidifier. I had a fantastic machine, that shorted-out recently (you'd think a machine with a built-in humidifier could withstand a bit of water spilled if it tipped over). As I have no health care, I am back to being unregulated and it is taking its toll on my health, it seems.

The machine I had was very expensive (I think about $2000 when it first came out) and can't be fixed. I am looking for a less-pricey replacement that does everything I need. Fortunately I no longer need a small portable machine (that adds to the cost). If you have health insurance they should cover the whole nut. If you are paying out of pocket and still looking for a machine, PM me as I have done a bit of price research on the web.

Finally if the machines don't work, or if you simply CAN'T use one, there are other solutions these days. Some of the facilities (like the one I used in WNY) are simply CPAP-pushers and really don't offer alternatives, so they will discourage any alternative.

Pretty much the way I felt about it.

But unregulated it can mess with your blood pressure, metabolism, etc. So as long as you feel OK, or don't mind feeling lousy, you are all set!

Pretty much the way I felt about it.

But unregulated it can mess with your blood pressure, metabolism, etc. So as long as you feel OK, or don't mind feeling lousy, you are all set!

Consider it my contribution to reducing health care costs. :D I'm a miserable, cranky misanthrope anyway...may as well be a tired one.

Consider it my contribution to reducing health care costs. :D I'm a miserable, cranky misanthrope anyway...may as well be a tired one.

:D

Works for me.

And, since I have been without my machine for about two years now, I should be the last one to say anything to you about it.

Well... if I was tired all the time, I'd be a miserable, cranky misanthrope too. Wait.... :D

Wow, aj, that's some pretty scary stuff. As one of the increasingly few reliably good posters on this board, make sure that you stick around.

Is losing weight the solution to the problem?

Thanks, man...appreciate the kind words :D

And yep, getting down to a healthy weight can reduce or eliminate the symptoms of sleep apnea. I don't remember ever having much of an issue with it when I was 6'2" 210 before my back injury. I found a 24-hr gym with a pool near where I live (finally!), so that's my master plan.

My girlfriend used to work as a project manager for a pharmacuetical company that develped a drug for those who suffered from the same thing that you do.

While it doesn't "cure" sleep apnea, it really mitigates some of the affects it has on you throughout the day. The drug is calle Nuvigil and here is the website:

Nuvigil

Wow zepp, I'm glad you got it taken care of sooner rather than later.

I actually had a sleep study performed on myself a few months ago because like you, I had a terrible issue with snoring. I ended up being diagnosed with "mild sleep apnea" and they gave me the option of getting the mask or going without it. I figured, what the hell might as well get it and see if it helps. I've had it for a little over two months and I've had a lot of issues with the mask. I toss and turn alot when I sleep so many times I'll wake up in the middle of the night and the mask will be completely off my face. It's a struggle for me to use it for the whole night, but that's just me.

I'm probably going to have the same issue. Since I failed the study so early in the evening, they transitioned me to the mask and began part 2 of the study. It was like trying to sleep with my head out the window of a car going about 40mph. I didn't mind the positive air pressure as much as the physical mask, so it'll definitely be an adjustment. They had two of them, so at least I had a choice. but yeah, I can see how it's a struggle to adjust to this fuggin thing :D

:D

Gotta have a little levity in there somewhere :D

There are times when I take that approach too, but honestly what has consitently freaked me out through the course of my job(s) are those patients who have suffered strokes and are basically condemned to a bed-ridden existence, entirely dependent on others, with little-to-no ability to communicate, and no quality of life. I grew up with a grandfather who had that sort of life for his last 20 years or so, and I don't want to follow that path. He abused alcohol and cigarettes most of his life, so there were additional lifestyle factors, but still....the picture is pretty clear in my mind. I'd rather leave this world a little early than live in that sort of condition.

Thanks, man...appreciate the kind words :D

And yep, getting down to a healthy weight can reduce or eliminate the symptoms of sleep apnea. I don't remember ever having much of an issue with it when I was 6'2" 210 before my back injury. I found a 24-hr gym with a pool near where I live (finally!), so that's my master plan.

Good luck with that. Swimming is great because it exercises every major muscle of your body, but it's low impact to your joints.

I'm 6' 1" 213 right now, but I was about 45 pounds heavier at the beginning of the year. Swimming has been a huge part of it this summer (GREAT outdoor swimming in Ithaca), on top of walking/jogging/running/hiking about 3-5 miles a day.

There are times when I take that approach too, but honestly what has consitently freaked me out through the course of my job(s) are those patients who have suffered strokes and are basically condemned to a bed-ridden existence, entirely dependent on others, with little-to-no ability to communicate, and no quality of life.

I have left clear instructions with my attorney, wife, and sister to smother me with a pillow if that happens.

The same instructions also specify that, should Congress try to pass a specific law requiring me to be kept alive (a la Terry Schiavo), I want to take them with me. :D