Sleep Apnea - My Wake Up Call

ajzepp

Join the club, aj.

I suspect they will try to get you to use a CPAP (or APAP or some B-PAP, or whatever variation you need). It will be tough to adapt to, most likely, but my advice is to give it your best effort. But, let them know if you are not comfortable because there are many different types of masks and machines. Finding the right one for you will make a huge difference, and it's their job to do just that.

My first experience with a CPAP in Niagara Falls was miserable, and I never got used to wearing the damn mask. The person in charge was not very attentive and had few alternatives for me. OTOH, when I got retested, and re-prescribed a CPAP in San Fran, they did a fabulous job of finding me the right machine and mask.

I couldn't use a full mask, and have to use one with nasal pillows, like this: http://www.cpapdiscountstore.com/catalog/images/Breeze.jpg

Also I have to have a machine that has some sort of exhale pressure relief (like C-Flex), a ramp-up setting and a heated humidifier. I had a fantastic machine, that shorted-out recently (you'd think a machine with a built-in humidifier could withstand a bit of water spilled if it tipped over). As I have no health care, I am back to being unregulated and it is taking its toll on my health, it seems.

The machine I had was very expensive (I think about $2000 when it first came out) and can't be fixed. I am looking for a less-pricey replacement that does everything I need. Fortunately I no longer need a small portable machine (that adds to the cost). If you have health insurance they should cover the whole nut. If you are paying out of pocket and still looking for a machine, PM me as I have done a bit of price research on the web.

Finally if the machines don't work, or if you simply CAN'T use one, there are other solutions these days. Some of the facilities (like the one I used in WNY) are simply CPAP-pushers and really don't offer alternatives, so they will discourage any alternative.

Thanks, Dean...I'm really glad you mentioned the idea of different masks and such, cause that's something I've been thinking about since Tuesday night. I should be receiving a call back in the next day or so to go back and finish the cpap fitting/testing. I'm thinking it'll be easier w/out all those DAMN wires and such connected to me, but I am definitely expecting an adjustment period to find the best mask/machine. I'll let you know what they start me with and see what suggestions you have from there. Thanks again!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with that. Swimming is great because it exercises every major muscle of your body, but it's low impact to your joints.

I'm 6' 1" 213 right now, but I was about 45 pounds heavier at the beginning of the year. Swimming has been a huge part of it this summer (GREAT outdoor swimming in Ithaca), on top of walking/jogging/running/hiking about 3-5 miles a day.

Nice! 45 lb loss since the beginning of the year is very impressive. I hope to follow suit! We're about the same height, so you obviously know how much better it feels to be around 210 than it does to be 250+. I'm excited to hit the pool...hope I still float! lol

I have left clear instructions with my attorney, wife, and sister to smother me with a pillow if that happens.

LMAO!!

I may have to add a "DC Tom" clause to my living will :D

Thanks, man...appreciate the kind words :D

And yep, getting down to a healthy weight can reduce or eliminate the symptoms of sleep apnea. I don't remember ever having much of an issue with it when I was 6'2" 210 before my back injury. I found a 24-hr gym with a pool near where I live (finally!), so that's my master plan.

You may find, as I have, that losing weight is VERY hard to do unless your SA is under control.

My wife constantly bitches about my snoring. Maybe I have apnea, should probably get that checked out, methinks.

It's a helluva lot more common of a problem than I gave it credit for, man.

You may fine, as I have, that losing weight is VERY hard to do unless your SA is under control.

Oh man, Im SO hoping that's the case with me....I was more active when I was working in the hospital than I am now sitting in a cubicle, but holy crap is it easy to gain weight lately. I'm really hoping that treating the apnea will help with my energy and motivation to work harder in the gym and pool, cause I am VERY uncomfortable at this weight. By the end of the year I'm really expecting to be a much healthier person.

I'm glad to know that some of you guys have experience with this already...I was somewhat reluctant to post about it, but definitely glad I did! :D

LMAO!!

I may have to add a "DC Tom" clause to my living will :D

They probably think I'm kidding...but I really don't want to just lay around consuming health care resources that can be used by people who have a chance at actually living a real life. If the brain is gone, I see no point in keeping the rest of me alive as some sort of grotesque meat puppet. And my definition of "brain is gone" is pretty specific in my case: if I'm sufficiently disabled, physically and cognitively, that I can't read a book, just !@#$in' get it over with already. 'Cause it's just death, it's not like it's at all unusual, it happens to everyone.

They probably think I'm kidding...but I really don't want to just lay around consuming health care resources that can be used by people who have a chance at actually living a real life. If the brain is gone, I see no point in keeping the rest of me alive as some sort of grotesque meat puppet. And my definition of "brain is gone" is pretty specific in my case: if I'm sufficiently disabled, physically and cognitively, that I can't read a book, just !@#$in' get it over with already. 'Cause it's just death, it's not like it's at all unusual, it happens to everyone.

I feel the same way. It's like one of my HS teachers used to say back in the day, "if we end up in WWIII, I want to be right at ground zero where one of the nukes hits....I don't want to be here after the fact, arms falling off and growing extra heads." And since I've seen first hand how some staff treat the most impaired patients, that's even more reason not to prolong things.

I feel the same way. It's like one of my HS teachers used to say back in the day, "if we end up in WWIII, I want to be right at ground zero where one of the nukes hits....I don't want to be here after the fact, arms falling off and growing extra heads." And since I've seen first hand how some staff treat the most impaired patients, that's even more reason not to prolong things.

You probably have seen alot of the same things I have seen with my work. I don't want to be in a facility when I get old, I want to die at home.

I was always amused by my first apartment down here, about a quarter-mile from the Pentagon, had fallout shelter signs on it. Yeah, right...I live next to the Pentagon, when the missiles fly do I want to 1) go up to the roof and die quickly, or 2) go to the sub-basement and die a lingering death buried in radioactive rubble? :D

I was always amused by my first apartment down here, about a quarter-mile from the Pentagon, had fallout shelter signs on it. Yeah, right...I live next to the Pentagon, when the missiles fly do I want to 1) go up to the roof and die quickly, or 2) go to the sub-basement and die a lingering death buried in radioactive rubble? :D

Wasn't there an American POW that survived Nagasaki? They put him a concrete cell... I don't know how true this is?

You probably have seen alot of the same things I have seen with my work. I don't want to be in a facility when I get old, I want to die at home.

Me too....I feel bad for some of the folks I've cared for. No family and friends visit...no quality of life...just waiting until their body gives out :D

lol, exactly. I'll take my lawn chair and a coke and just sit there enjoying the last few minutes of Hotlanta sunshine