Schefter Tweet- Bills moving forward w/o Schobel

That would be quite the coup, couldn't even fathom that happening though.

I'm just saying the Bills will not let Schobel just walk away. Not sure they will waste a roster spot to keep him from another team but they will not just make it easy for him.

PTR

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying the Bills will not let Schobel just walk away. Not sure they will waste a roster spot to keep him from another team but they will not just make it easy for him.

PTR

Yeah I 100% agree. I don't think any spite will come into play, but the Bills have to get something if he's to move on which may have been his plan from the beginning.

Yeah I 100% agree. I don't think any spite will come into play, but the Bills have to get something if he's to move on which may have been his plan from the beginning.

But if they don't I also don't see the Bills doing Aaron any favors. They'll keep him on the roster till the very last moment.

PTR

Just trade him for something if possible please

Bills can't get more than a 4th round pick for a dude who has sat out all offseason and is owed 8 million dollars for this season and beyond. Furthermore, Bills have 0 leverage in any trade discussions (unless multiple teams show interest).

I think this is a very positive sign to be honest. I mean, first off, this whole Schobel spectacle was a huge joke. It didn't make the franchise look all that great. I know its a banal platitude, but it was time to show Schobel who was boss. Don't forget that he was going to be collecting a pay check until he retired. It was by the far the most overt insult to the Bills since the Peters hold out.

By the way, who is to say he was going to be all that great at OLB in a 3-4? I imagine he would have adapted, but I don't think he is built for that kind of role. Not at his age. I would have taken him over Kelsay to be sure, but again, I too share the belief that Kelsay might be on the outs this season. He has no position.

Also, the Bills wouldn't have done this JUST to make a point. They clearly have faith in the talent taking Schobel's spot.

From BB.com: "Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over. “He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix. If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him."

Glad to see the Bills just not cut him loose and give him a free pass to go where ever he wants to go.

From BB.com: "Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel's career with the Bills. It's over. "He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it's retire or if he might want to play somewhere else," said Nix. If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It's clear the Bills will not outright release him."

Glad to see the Bills just not cut him loose and give him a free pass to go where ever he wants to go.

Well then I guess this is as good of an amicable break-up that one can possibly get in the NFL.

Good for Nix and Co. to make a stand here, but the prospects of seeing Torbor, Maybin and Kelsay on the edge probably isn't causing any of the AFC East QBs to lose any sleep.

I want to believe this team can scrap its way to close to .500 but there's a real chance they're going to suck like the first Gregg year.

Good for Nix and Co. to make a stand here, but the prospects of seeing Torbor, Maybin and Kelsay on the edge probably isn't causing any of the AFC East QBs to lose any sleep.

I want to believe this team can scrap its way to close to .500 but there's a real chance they're going to suck like the first Gregg year.

Maybe, maybe not. But it's always better for us to be taken lightly.

PTR

Well then I guess this is as good of an amicable break-up that one can possibly get in the NFL.

Agreed. Schobel had some good things to say in the AP story, I am not sure how much of it was just for show though:

Schobel told The Associated Press in a phone interview that he learned Monday morning he would have been released even if had reported to camp. The linebacker said he is not upset or surprised by the move.

"I understand. I would have done the same thing if I were in their shoes," Schobel said. "I understand it 100 percent. I'm sort of relieved.

"I have no regrets and I appreciate the organization, Buffalo, their fans and (Bills owner) Ralph (Wilson) for putting me in this position where I was able to play for nine years. I'm not going to say anything bad about them and I wish them the best."

http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/...obel-599366.php

Whitner is starting. Why do you think he's possibly going to be released? If anything he could be traded and I doubt even that happens.

That may be true, for now, but I'd rather see Wilson or Scott playing over Whitner and I think the coaching staff will see that soon, as well.

That may be true, for now, but I'd rather see Wilson or Scott playing over Whitner and I think the coaching staff will see that soon, as well.

Even if that happens, they aren't going to just cut whitner because he isn't starting. At most, they would trade him for a low pick. But he doesn't have to start to be on the team.

I think that Nix is handling this correctly.....they did not give him his outright release and they should NOT do that.....

But they ALREADY ANNOUNCED THAT THEY WOULD?

All teams have to do is wait him out. The Bills will NOT pay him his $8 million. Only way to avoid that is trade or cut.