Here's my Training Camp Report from Friday 7/30/10

Here ya go. My report from Day of Training Camp is finished. Sorry it's so late. I had to work the overnight after camp and just got done typing it up and uploading the photos.

Day two of the Buffalo Bills training camp is now complete. The team had just one open practice at night as the morning session was closed to the public. It was the first night practice of the year! Unlike yesterday, the stands were actually full and the fans were excited. It's always a bit different when the team practices under the lights at Growney Stadium. The atmosphere is closer to a pre-season game than just a training camp practice. On the field, the winner of the day was the defense. They were aggressive and gave the offensive line fits all day. As always, the team worked on individual drills, 7-on-7, 11-on-11 and also spent some time kicking field goals.

To start the evening off, the team spent time working on gap assignments. The first team defense lined up against the second and third team defense on one side of the field. On the other side, the starting offense lined up against the second and third team offense. Once the starters get their reps in, they switch places with the backups. This drill helps get everybody set up to where they have to be for the play and they run several different plays at half speed. This also is a nice starter drill for the players to warm up with.

Following this drill, the team splits up into the individual units and works on different stretches related to their position. This is something new. For many years, the players always did the stretching together as a team. It makes sense this way, because it gets the players to be closer as a unit. But I'm also guessing that it has something to do with the strength and conditioning coaches who like to work more individually with the different players instead of as one big group. Anyways, after they stretched out, the players worked on the individual drills. I watched the wide receivers and tight ends today and took a few notes. The tight ends struggled catching the ball, as both Shawn Nelson and Michael Matthews dropped a couple passes that were right in their hands. James Hardy and Felton Huggins also each dropped a pass. Roscoe Parrish made a couple leaping grabs and looked really good out there, like he usually does in camp. Trent Edwards overthrew Steve Johnson on one play. But Johnson made a sweet leaping grab for a sideline pass from Brian Brohm later on.........

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

Thanks so much for these reports. I know you hear it alot, but really, thanks. There really is no better source to get a feel for what is happening at camp. :beer: to you.

I have no idea how you keep such detailed notes and relay all that information each day; but I think you made a few serious errors. You mentioned play action fake type pass things. Now, we all know that kind of play doesn't exist. So, please check your notes. Good job otherwise. :worthy:

Thanks so much for these reports. I know you hear it alot, but really, thanks. There really is no better source to get a feel for what is happening at camp. :beer: to you.

I have no idea how you keep such detailed notes and relay all that information each day; but I think you made a few serious errors. You mentioned play action fake type pass things. Now, we all know that kind of play doesn't exist. So, please check your notes. Good job otherwise. :worthy:

lol....I almost thought you were serious. Honestly, I was surprised myself. I didn't think the team knew what play action was. It was a pleasant surprise.

lol....I almost thought you were serious. Honestly, I was surprised myself. I didn't think the team knew what play action was. It was a pleasant surprise.

How bad is it when we're all surprised to see play action passes? It's been a loooong few years. If you have any pull at those camps... tell them to try some slants next.

If I see slant patterns in your future reports, I won't know whether to erect a shrine to you or scoff in disbelief! :worthy:

It sure sounds like the 3-4 is creating the havoc it was designed to. Thats nice to know. In an Offense vs Defense battle, someone has to always come out on top. So I don't really know what to make of the offense. Are they coming along? I haven't heard Lee Evans name mentioned in any report. The OLB seem like they can find their way around our tackles blindfolded. Again idk if our offense has improved or not. Any thoughts mike?

Great report.

A few things come to mind as I read this. First off, maybe facing a 3-4 in practice will finally get TE over the 3-4 hump, which will definitely help in a division of all 3-4 defenses. Second, as good as the pass rush sounds, I worry that it's not really how good the pass rush is, but how bad our tackles are. Third, even if our pass IS good, it might not matter if teams can run all over us. I'm hoping that our guys inside can hold down the fort because I'm still not convinced we have anyone that can truly play NT in this system, and teams will try to expose that weakness all season long.

Question. Is Shawn Nelson our hands-down #1 TE at this point?

It sure sounds like the 3-4 is creating the havoc it was designed to. Thats nice to know. In an Offense vs Defense battle, someone has to always come out on top. So I don't really know what to make of the offense. Are they coming along? I haven't heard Lee Evans name mentioned in any report. The OLB seem like they can find their way around our tackles blindfolded. Again idk if our offense has improved or not. Any thoughts mike?

Don't forget it's still very early. The defense is usually ahead of the offense at first because they can just fly to the ball and hit somebody if worst comes to worst. Offense is about timing and precision it takes a while to get everybody on the same page at the same time consistently. Don't sweat it yet.

And you could always look at it this way: MAYBE our D is be better than advertised, some young players are taking the next step to be difference makers and they might be a hard defense to practice against. Which will make the offense better against opposing defenses come the fall.

Mike, Exceptional report. Just a reminder: You are not allowed to report that Trent completed a pass down field. DarthIce and his band of raging followers will accuse you of bias resulting in a fatwa condemning you to be publicly stoned. Just a friendly reminder. :worthy:

Mike, Exceptional report. Just a reminder: You are not allowed to report that Trent completed a pass down field. DarthIce and his band of raging followers will accuse you of bias resulting in a fatwa condemning you to be publicly stoned. Just a friendly reminder. :worthy:

Sure, it was a completed pass but was it a perfect spiral? That's what really matters

a 0-0 defense could cause problems for this offense....

Thanks for the reports.

While I was reading I kept saying to myself "man, Reggie Troubor seems to be making a lot of plays". Lo and behold, you finish your report my specifically calling him out. Sound like he might be a very solid FA pickup :worthy:

Also nice to hear that Roscoe is coming along and that the team is practicing play action.

How do our NTs look?