Poison Ivy Relief Anyone Use

Went. They gave me Prednisone 20mg. 2 Tablets once a day for 5 days.

I'm surprised they gave you such a low dose. Watch for a flare up on day six when you come off the meds. You might not have it as bad as I did though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised they gave you such a low dose. Watch for a flare up on day six when you come off the meds. You might not have it as bad as I did though.

Took two pills around 1pm by 3pm my face swelling was greatly reduce. Had a couple of beers (Hoptical Illusion) and a little puffyness came back to my left side of my face. :) Thank you to all have posted with the thoughts on this evil plant.

Took two pills around 1pm by 3pm my face swelling was greatly reduce. Had a couple of beers (Hoptical Illusion) and a little puffyness came back to my left side of my face. :) Thank you to all have posted with the thoughts on this evil plant.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/prednisone-and-alcohol.html

Predisone and Alcohol

Predisone and alcohol consumption is considered to be a dubious and controversial issue. Consuming prednisone and alcohol can be harmful, but it depends on the individual's health and situation. For example, if a person is suffering from ulcerative colitis, he should not consume alcohol as it may worsen his situation. Doctors recommend not to consume alcohol while on medication due to the reactions it can have in the body. Prednisone and alcohol consumption can have adverse effects on the liver and cause gastrointestinal (affecting stomach and intestines) inflammation, which can lead to stomach ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding. Prednisone and alcohol side effects can be severe, hence, it is better to avoid predisone and alcohol consumption.

Some of the conditions which occur due to the intake of alcohol or alcoholism can be cured with the help of prednisone. It is better to consult a doctor if you want to know what effect prednisone and alcohol interaction will have on your body. It is also possible that your body might not have any adverse reaction if you consume both. But, it is necessary to undergo some tests and follow the doctor's instructions. Prednisone has a number of side effects like any other medicine, so you need to be careful or you may have to face some adverse reactions.

Thus, prednisone and alcohol side effects can differ from individual to individual. Prednisone and alcohol interaction can affect some people in an adverse way and not affect others at all. However, there is prednisone and alcohol use because some percentage of alcohol is used in prednisone.

Prednisone and alcohol reactions can be different in the case of different drugs. Predinsone and alcohol use can lower the energy level in your body and your resistance power. Hence, it will take more time to get cured in case you are suffering from any disease. Therefore, it is better to avoid the consumption of prednisone and alcohol.

Prednisone and alcohol interaction can be harmful to the liver as both are broken down in the liver. People suffering from diseases like hepatitis A and B, HIV or tuberculosis can face serious prednisone and alcohol side effects in the long run.

Therefore, it is advised to reduce prednisone and alcohol use to avoid its ill effects. As we all know, a healthy lifestyle is a very important factor for success in life. So, avoid prednisone and alcohol consumption and live a healthy and successful life!

Therefore, it is advised to reduce prednisone and alcohol use to avoid its ill effects. As we all know, a healthy lifestyle is a very important factor for success in life. So, avoid prednisone and alcohol consumption and live a healthy and successful life! [/i]

So, basically they are saying you should use something else for your Poison Ivy relief. Right?

Predisone and Alcohol

Predisone and alcohol consumption is considered to be a dubious and controversial issue. Consuming prednisone and alcohol can be harmful, but it depends on the individual's health and situation. For example, if a person is suffering from ulcerative colitis, he should not consume alcohol as it may worsen his situation. Doctors recommend not to consume alcohol while on medication due to the reactions it can have in the body. Prednisone and alcohol consumption can have adverse effects on the liver and cause gastrointestinal (affecting stomach and intestines) inflammation, which can lead to stomach ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding. Prednisone and alcohol side effects can be severe, hence, it is better to avoid predisone and alcohol consumption.

Some of the conditions which occur due to the intake of alcohol or alcoholism can be cured with the help of prednisone. It is better to consult a doctor if you want to know what effect prednisone and alcohol interaction will have on your body. It is also possible that your body might not have any adverse reaction if you consume both. But, it is necessary to undergo some tests and follow the doctor's instructions. Prednisone has a number of side effects like any other medicine, so you need to be careful or you may have to face some adverse reactions.

Thus, prednisone and alcohol side effects can differ from individual to individual. Prednisone and alcohol interaction can affect some people in an adverse way and not affect others at all. However, there is prednisone and alcohol use because some percentage of alcohol is used in prednisone.

Prednisone and alcohol reactions can be different in the case of different drugs. Predinsone and alcohol use can lower the energy level in your body and your resistance power. Hence, it will take more time to get cured in case you are suffering from any disease. Therefore, it is better to avoid the consumption of prednisone and alcohol.

Prednisone and alcohol interaction can be harmful to the liver as both are broken down in the liver. People suffering from diseases like hepatitis A and B, HIV or tuberculosis can face serious prednisone and alcohol side effects in the long run.

Therefore, it is advised to reduce prednisone and alcohol use to avoid its ill effects. As we all know, a healthy lifestyle is a very important factor for success in life. So, avoid prednisone and alcohol consumption and live a healthy and successful life!

Thanks Jack Usually there is a warning label on the script bottle. there was none. So tomorrow, July 31, 2010 I will have to stop my quest (Bucket list) of being drunk , every day, for one month. One day short. Darn you Ivy, Darn you.

Thanks Jack Usually there is a warning label on the script bottle. there was none. So tomorrow, July 31, 2010 I will have to stop my quest (Bucket list) of being drunk , every day, for one month. One day short. Darn you Ivy, Darn you.

Maybe not, from this section of what I linked to....

Maybe you're one of the ones it doesn't affect. Keep going and let us know.

Maybe not, from this section of what I linked to....

Maybe you're one of the ones it doesn't affect. Keep going and let us know.

If you don't see a post back here on monday ........ you still get prime parking for the TBD tailgate parking.

I hear ya. I get it and its steroids at the outset. Every time I've tried to take care of it with over the counter crap nothing happens. Oh..it is on miserable thing to get.

Some people (like my neighbor) get it when the wind blows the wrong way... :worthy::beer:

What gets me is the natives ran basically naked through the brush... ;);) Or did they just avoid it? ;);)

The plant (oak and ivy) is very easy to spot though considering where it grows. I never seen poison sumac, I think that lives our west. I suppose the leaf gouping looks almost like regular sumac...

I used to get poison ivy every year, well over the 7 year itch as it's commonly refered to. The best thing that worked for me, was the hot water treatment. Although some people out there I read the spread of pi got worse I never had this problem. It was almost like a mirachle cure for me. I take 2 hot showers a day. One in the morning and one at night and I'd cut down the itching from 2 weeks to 2-3 days at most. Very intense euphoric type itching due to the histamine all being released at the touch of the hot water, but well worth the hours of relief I got from itching. Never tried hot water on my face. It was the only thing outside of steroids that helped.

I used to get poison ivy every year, well over the 7 year itch as it's commonly refered to. The best thing that worked for me, was the hot water treatment. Although some people out there I read the spread of pi got worse I never had this problem. It was almost like a mirachle cure for me. I take 2 hot showers a day. One in the morning and one at night and I'd cut down the itching from 2 weeks to 2-3 days at most. Very intense euphoric type itching due to the histamine all being released at the touch of the hot water, but well worth the hours of relief I got from itching. Never tried hot water on my face. It was the only thing outside of steroids that helped.

That is the strange thing about this plant... It is the reaction that people get is all varied. I always thought the hot water would embed the oil deeper in. It is the oil that one wants to get off... Did you get a rash? I have seen some with really bad rashes and deep scarring... It looks horrible!

Just saw this thread and read through it... sounds like you did the right thing. Poison Ivy can cause some pretty serious allergic reactions. In some people it can be life threatening. In more severe cases (like it sounds like you had/have), prednisone is almost always the remedy. I'd be hesitant to go to the doctor every time though, because taking steriods all the time is not that good of an idea.

Some people are more allergic to it than others; hence, the varied amount of "cures" working on some people and not on others. In the future, when outside doing work, if you think poison ivy is around, wear pants, long-sleeved shirt and gloves. Yes, it's hot. But, get the oil on your cloths and you can remove them and wash them (not with all your regular clothes). That's better than getting it on your skin. When clearing brush and such, sometimes you can actually inhale the oil and then its really bad. For that reason, if burning brush where PI is present; never stand in the smoke.

What I've found that works best, from bug bites to ivy, is Caladryl Lotion. Don't get the clear stuff, not only is it for sissies, but it doesn't work as well.

I work outside all summer doing field work and get all sorts of rashes and bug bites and Caladryl has always worked the best. I even travel with it. Again, though, if you're highly allergic - like it sounds you are - you'll need to take extra precautions. Trust me long-sleeved shirts and pants are your best friend in the summer if you're out and about.

Just saw this thread and read through it... sounds like you did the right thing. Poison Ivy can cause some pretty serious allergic reactions. In some people it can be life threatening. In more severe cases (like it sounds like you had/have), prednisone is almost always the remedy. I'd be hesitant to go to the doctor every time though, because taking steriods all the time is not that good of an idea.

Some people are more allergic to it than others; hence, the varied amount of "cures" working on some people and not on others. In the future, when outside doing work, if you think poison ivy is around, wear pants, long-sleeved shirt and gloves. Yes, it's hot. But, get the oil on your cloths and you can remove them and wash them (not with all your regular clothes). That's better than getting it on your skin. When clearing brush and such, sometimes you can actually inhale the oil and then its really bad. For that reason, if burning brush where PI is present; never stand in the smoke.

What I've found that works best, from bug bites to ivy, is Caladryl Lotion. Don't get the clear stuff, not only is it for sissies, but it doesn't work as well.

I work outside all summer doing field work and get all sorts of rashes and bug bites and Caladryl has always worked the best. I even travel with it. Again, though, if you're highly allergic - like it sounds you are - you'll need to take extra precautions. Trust me long-sleeved shirts and pants are your best friend in the summer if you're out and about.

And gloves!!

Such a great post! Also remember tools may carry the oil!!!... Wash them too! If you don't and put them away tainted and the ivy/oak/sumac is heavy... You may get re-exposed the next time you use the tools!

And absolutely start to stay away from the plants near to this time of the season... Into the fall... The reddish "waxy" leaves are totally covered in the oil!

RoundUp (Monsanto) makes a super strong ivy (and other hardy weeds) killer... Use that!

Again... Ivy will grow mostly as a vine around a tree or structures... It's also got a real "hairy" looking vine. It likes very wet and really shady areas... Stay on the trail and hike on higher, sunnier ground... Keep on the sunny side! :worthy:

And gloves!!

Such a great post! Also remember tools may carry the oil!!!... Wash them too! If you don't and put them away tainted and the ivy/oak/sumac is heavy... You may get re-exposed the next time you use the tools!

And absolutely start to stay away from the plants near to this time of the season... Into the fall... The reddish "waxy" leaves are totally covered in the oil!

RoundUp (Monsanto) makes a super strong ivy (and other hardy weeds) killer... Use that!

Again... Ivy will grow mostly as a vine around a tree or structures... It's also got a real "hairy" looking vine. It likes very wet and really shady areas... Stay on the trail and hike on higher, sunnier ground... Keep on the sunny side! :worthy:

Most excellent point that I forgot. You can definitely transfer the oil from tool to tool for quite some time. I'm not sure how long the oil can pesist and still cause the rash, but I'd wager its a considerable length of time. I've seen the same thing as well, if you have work pants; you can transfer it from day to day if you don't wash your pants daily or just toss them into the laundry with your normal clothes. You can get it later, when you do laundry.

Good point, as well, late summer and fall is when the plant is excreting the most oil. So, it can be quite serious.

Again, different people have different levels of reaction. So knowing how serious your reaction is, should determine how serious you need to be about avoiding exposure.

(I write all this with several fire ant bites on my ankles and legs and poisong ivy rash on my right forearm - and the smell of caladryl lotion in the room. It was a fun week.)

Most excellent point that I forgot. You can definitely transfer the oil from tool to tool for quite some time. I'm not sure how long the oil can pesist and still cause the rash, but I'd wager its a considerable length of time. I've seen the same thing as well, if you have work pants; you can transfer it from day to day if you don't wash your pants daily or just toss them into the laundry with your normal clothes. You can get it later, when you do laundry.

Good point, as well, late summer and fall is when the plant is excreting the most oil. So, it can be quite serious.

Again, different people have different levels of reaction. So knowing how serious your reaction is, should determine how serious you need to be about avoiding exposure.

(I write all this with several fire ant bites on my ankles and legs and poisong ivy rash on my right forearm - and the smell of caladryl lotion in the room. It was a fun week.)

:worthy: (well not thumbsup to your calamities... Hope you get healed!)

Also... I mentioned earlier about spider and ticks... We just got a hand out about those beasts... The pictures were absolutely gross looking at what a brown recluse can do to you... I can't believe people would wait that long to get medical advice!! :beer:;)

:worthy: (well not thumbsup to your calamities... Hope you get healed!)

Also... I mentioned earlier about spider and ticks... We just got a hand out about those beasts... The pictures were absolutely gross looking at what a brown recluse can do to you... I can't believe people would wait that long to get medical advice!! :beer:;)

Ticks and spiders can be very serious, especially Brown Recluses. Although, living in the Chicagoland area, brown recluses should be very rare given their establish distribution in the US. Alot of people think they see brown recluses, but most of the time it's some type of wolf spider. Not that I'd want to get bitten by either one!

Brown Recluses like warm, dry areas. So, you most often see them in attics or garages (especially in more southern areas). You'll have more of problem with black widdows in your area. They like dark, sheltered places though.

...and don't even get me started on ticks!

For some reason, Caladryl (the pink version) has never worked well, for me.