Poison Ivy Relief Anyone Use

I get PI fairly often. For relief I have found a few products that work fairly well:

This is good, but stains the skin quite a bit. I like it because it seems to dry up the infection:

http://www.amazon.com/Zytrel-Liquid-Quickl...g/dp/B000GCPWXW

Your basic Benadryl spray is good to carry around and use as needed. Here's the brand name, but the generic Walgreens or CVS brands are fine:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_pro...&navCount=3

Usually when I really like a product it goes off the market fairly quickly. There was one gel that had "Rhino" in the name, but I haven't been able to find it on a quick Google search. Maybe it is off the market.

I got some of the Benadryl GEL. It works. The Ivy dry was also recommend by the manager of CVS. I went to Feel Rite and got some Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak Natural Relief for Itching pills. It has Rhus Toxicodendron 6x HPUS in it. I figured I'll give it a try.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

We (my kids and wife, I never get PI) use this all the time and it works really well.

Does it work after you notice you have the rash and itching? I don't think I ever know within 2 hours of when I managed to encounter the stuff.

Got it really bad last year while pulling some nasty weeds/vines out of my front yard (just bought the house last year). I had it really bad on my face, eyes swelled shut, etc. Went to the doctor, and he prescribed a treatment of Prednisone that I took for 9 days (6 pills first and second day, 5 pills third and fourth, 4 pills fifth and sixth, 3 pills day seven, 2 pills day eight, one pill day nine, and then all done).

Worked great, swelling/itching went away within 12 hours of taking the first dose.

Downside was I had terrible night sweats for about 2 weeks after. Would wake up soaking wet with cold sweat.

If I had to do it over again, I definately would!

Go to a doctor if you have it on your face, genitals, or any large blisters anywhere.

Whatever you do, don't listen to Rfeynman!

The wife is pushing me to go to see a Doctor. My face, more on the left side is swollen. My eyes are not swollen shut, just real puffy. Forehead is warm but I have no blister on it. We pulled out the fence Monday around 2pm. Rash showed up Tuesday morning. Face swelling wednesday morning. I'm not really itching yet.

Does it work after you notice you have the rash and itching? I don't think I ever know within 2 hours of when I managed to encounter the stuff.

Don't kinow, but I doubt it...we have tons of it around so everyone's been trained over the years to be pretty vigilant.

prednisone is the most efficacious treatment (usually given in a dose pack of decreasing dose over 6 days). the shot mentioned is likely a depot steroid, usually depomedrol. for severe cases, both the shot and pills are given. i'm unaware of desensitization shots for poison ivy. if they are available, i've never seen them used. given the worsening problem, they may become available.

ivy block used preventatively works very well. it's a lotion that binds the allergen in the poison ivy resin and is available otc.

if you know you've been exposed, wash the area with soap and water as soon as possible(preferably within 10 minutes). i keep dishwasher detergent in my shower to wash after yard work as it dissolves oil well and the resin is an oil. i also use otc hydrocortisone cream on areas likely exposed 1 or 2 times on the day of exposure. an antihistamine like benadryl can help but it's very sedating. i prefer claritin even though it's less potent.

The wife is pushing me to go to see a Doctor. My face, more on the left side is swollen. My eyes are not swollen shut, just real puffy. Forehead is warm but I have no blister on it. We pulled out the fence Monday around 2pm. Rash showed up Tuesday morning. Face swelling wednesday morning. I'm not really itching yet.

go get steroids from your doc.

Antihistamines help. The strongest over the counter antihistamine is zyrtec, or cetrizine in generic form. I think this will provide you with some relief. It is much stronger than the old benadryl pills. You can take a lot of them, but the side effect is drowsiness. I really would try zyrtec in addition to topical treatments.

Antihistamines help. The strongest over the counter antihistamine is zyrtec, or cetrizine in generic form. I think this will provide you with some relief. It is much stronger than the old benadryl pills. You can take a lot of them, but the side effect is drowsiness. I really would try zyrtec in addition to topical treatments.

no.

benadryl is significantly better at blocking H1 receptors than any other available oral antihistamine..if you went to the er with a severe allergic rxn you would likely be given iv benadryl, steroids and possibly epinephrine. drugs like zantac block H2 receptors that play a minor role in histamine mediated immune response. you shouldn't take "a lot" of zyrtec. 10 mg is the max recommended daily dose and will block receptors almost as well as any higher dose. zyrtec, claritin and allegra are roughly equal in potency. (all are less than benadryl at max doses). be careful of what you read on the internet concerning medicine. i spend a good amount of my day debunking myths that people latch on to from it. if benadryl isn't working, zyrtec won't either.

no.

benadryl is significantly better at blocking H1 receptors than any other available oral antihistamine..if you went to the er with a severe allergic rxn you would likely be given iv benadryl, steroids and possibly epinephrine. drugs like zantac block H2 receptors that play a minor role in histamine mediated immune response. you shouldn't take "a lot" of zyrtec. 10 mg is the max recommended daily dose and will block receptors almost as well as any higher dose. zyrtec, claritin and allegra are roughly equal in potency. (all are less than benadryl at max doses). be careful of what you read on the internet concerning medicine. i spend a good amount of my day debunking myths that people latch on to from it. if benadryl isn't working, zyrtec won't either.

are you a pharmacist?

take some Benodryl

Went. They gave me Prednisone 20mg. 2 Tablets once a day for 5 days.

I had PI bad a few years ago, the drugs help. It came in waves on me like your describing, even though the clearing work was done over the course of a few hours (and in the winter). This year I was weed whacking and thought I may have gotten into some so I tried rubbing some crushed jewelweed on my skin afterward. Seemed to help because I only had a few small bumps where I didn't rub as as much, but it would be tough to say how much it actually helped. And that wouldn't have helped you unless you had done it right after exposure.

Believe it or not the body produces an oil that is very effective against poison Ivy. The oil is secreted from the pores surrounding the genitals. Go out and work up a good sweat. Then rub your hand on your crotch and rub the sweat on the poison ivy. Then with the same hand rub the crotch some more and then the poison ivy. Do it like 10 or 12 times. :censored:

F'n Hilarious! :lol:

Believe it or not the body produces an oil that is very effective against poison Ivy. The oil is secreted from the pores surrounding the genitals. Go out and work up a good sweat. Then rub your hand on your crotch and rub the sweat on the poison ivy. Then with the same hand rub the crotch some more and then the poison ivy. Do it like 10 or 12 times. :censored:

:lol: ...honestly dude, this was one of the funniest posts I have read on TBD.

If he goes out and works up a real sweat... His pores will open where the ivy/oak is! Just like I said DO NOT TAKE A HOT SHOWER.

I wouldn't do this Hammer... You will make the situation worse... You DO NOT WANT TO OPEN UP ANY PORES and by working up a sweat, the pores around your exposure will open up!

COLD SHOWER! You have a few hours to get the oil off after exposure.

:worthy: :worthy:

no.

My experience in a similar situation is that zyrtec worked and benadryl did not. That was also the advice of my physician. Quite honestly, everything he said contradicted what you have said, as has my experience. I dont doubt you know what you are talking about, and am not asking you to take my advice for more than the nothing it is worth.

I had PI bad a few years ago, the drugs help. It came in waves on me like your describing, even though the clearing work was done over the course of a few hours (and in the winter). This year I was weed whacking and thought I may have gotten into some so I tried rubbing some crushed jewelweed on my skin afterward. Seemed to help because I only had a few small bumps where I didn't rub as as much, but it would be tough to say how much it actually helped. And that wouldn't have helped you unless you had done it right after exposure.

Forgot about the jewel weed...this is good advice as well.