In Case you were wondering why we drafted Spiller 9th

It would seem that you assume my opinion is wrong and yours is right. You can continue to bite hook line and sinker into everything this FO does, like I used to do, but I have been scorn too many times to fall for it anymore. However, you too in time may learn to doubt the very very questionable moves of this FO, rather than accept them as the correct move immediately, before any games have been played.

See, unlike you, I have a decade of poor draft choices backing my opinion that the Bills probably fumbled once again, while all you have is pure hope and optimism that they did not - optimism which in me has been crushed by the decade of dismay this team has brought upon itself.

I have 3 decades of watching this FO and you are still wrong. The problem with your argument and with many arguments is that no decision is as plain as black and white. People begin lashing out because of perceived incompetency but none here have actually worn the same shoes as the ones in the Bills FO. After a while, listening to all of this BS just starts to sound like a bunch Canadian Geese honking outside your house while trying to watch a ball game.....you just tune it out.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you mean the imaginary option, we have no idea if trading back was an option. If Nix didnt feel he was getting equal value for the 9 pick then why move? clearly, he felt better about taking spiller at 9 as opposed to trading.

Not true. Nix said they didn't field any offers because they wanted Spiller. They made the pick in less than 2 minutes. There were teams who would have traded up for Spiller. It was widely reported during and after the draft.

Something you might not be aware of with CJ. He played with a very painful turf toe all last year. He never complained. Clemson O-line was also very young. If you want to see him in action I suggest the ACC Championship game where he scored 5 touchdowns in a losing effort. This kid is going to give you goosebumps...

Not true. Nix said they didn't field any offers because they wanted Spiller. They made the pick in less than 2 minutes. There were teams who would have traded up for Spiller. It was widely reported during and after the draft.

so who would we have gotten, without naming him specifically, Nix already said he didnt think bulaga was a good option. So who then, what good would trading back accomplish. The fact is that Nix and chan felt that we needed an explosive playmaker more than a mediocre right tackle or overrated QB.

I'm cool with the Spiller pick for several reasons:

- This is not the same old FO. If it was, they would have done what so many are clamoring for and picked a need position at 9, inevitably passing over clearly better players who would turn out to be difference makers. All of the players that are being used to make the point of the FO's previous mistakes (Maybin, Whitner, etc.) clearly fit that description, and were widely regarded as reaches when the pick was made by most media, reputable or not. Spiller is being criticized because he doesn't fill a percieved need, not because he doesn't have exceptional talent. If we'd have taken exceptional talent in the first round when it was available the last ten years, regardless of need, we'd be a much better team today.

- Our offense has been atrocious, and Chan, who has a way with offense, publicly stated he wanted a scat back. I'll trust his instincts on this.

- Our O-line is young, and was in no way put in a position to succeed last year. The likelihood of finding a LT who was NFL ready after the first two were off the board was low, so why not see what you have when a legitimate NFL offense is installed on this team. Besides, trading down to select a tackle that you're not certain will be your cornerstone and passing on what you believe to be elite talent in the process makes no sense. It would show a lack of conviction/direction, which is what plagued the FO for years. I like the fact that Nix and Gailey are already showing they are willing to do what they think is right, not what they think is popular. Does that mean they're right... of course not, but it's a different vibe in my opinion.

- Finally, opponents of the Bills last year stated on several occasions that they were running a pitiful, predictable offense. I don't imagine it's too hard as an NFL defense to make offensive lineman look bad when you know what's coming. A legitimate offensive mind will fix that aspect. Spiller, by his versatility, is a big part of that, methinks. You can overcome a lineman's limitations to some degree by getting a defense on their heels, something we've been utterly incapable of for years.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Really, what's the point in not? I can't see enjoying the season more by declaring it a failure from the start. I don't expect them to make the playoffs, but I do expect them to be better by the end of the season. I expect them to start heading in the right direction, and if they do this has the makings of a fun season. I certainly don't think that the players on this team are as bad as the coaching staff has made them look that last four years. Hell, Fewell, despite being completely overmatched, was an improvement over Jauron, so it's not unreasonable to think a beefed up staff might be able to squeeze even more out of them. Ultimately, I think part of the draft strategy this year was aimed at filling known holes (aside from Spiller) and using the season to determine whether or not certain players already on the roster are/can be the answer or if it is time to turn the page once and for all.

In 4 years Spiller with be an experienced back with a great O line. Sometimes picks aren't made for this season.

IMO, most picks drafted at the number 9 position overall in the draft are expected to produce right away. (especially running backs) Spiller is no exception.

In four years? Who knows what's going to happen in 4 years. I am trying to concentrate on this year and reevaluate the team after the season is over. Maybe your able to think ahead that far?

Look I get it - stop it with the Spiller highlight vids. We drafted Spiller because Ralph said we needed excitement and he thinks one fast RB will turn the whole offense around. I get it, I just dont agree with it.

I dont agree with it because you dont get any of those kind of highlights, without these kinds of highlights.

The Bills dont have the ability to let Spiller use his abilities - We have the cart but not the horse so to speak.

PS for a good laugh, fast forward to 4:30 in the video and watch Maybin get thrown around like a rag doll! (these highlights were from 2008) And to think we drafted him at #11, to play DE none the less. Truly comical.

Disagree. We drafted Spiller because Nix had him as the highest player on the board, possibly in the entire draft, not because Ralph told him we need excitement.

There were tons of rare talents available when the Bills picked.

Tebow was a rare talent because of his work ethic and ability to win

Clausen was a rare talent because he ahs 3 yrs experience in a pro style O

Javid best is a rare talent bc of the exact same reason as Spiller

Bulaga is a rare talent because of his run blocking ability/his technque

Iupati is a rare talent bc of his size and athletic ability. In fact, I honestly believe at his size he is more athletic than Spiller respectively

Dez Briant is a rare talent

Brandon Grahm/JPP/Derrick Morgan are all rare talents....

None of those players are rare talents. None.

Everyone acts like Spiller doesn't make the offensive line better.

Spiller might do a lot of things, but he isn't going to make the offensive line better. A good blocking tight end might make the line better (or accomodate for a bad offensive line.) A good blocking fullback can do the same. Spiller may be good, or he may be bad, but he ain't gonna help us on the O-line. I have an idea...why don't we get some LINEMEN to help the offensive line?

There were tons of rare talents available when the Bills picked.

Tebow was a rare talent because of his work ethic and ability to win

Clausen was a rare talent because he ahs 3 yrs experience in a pro style O

Javid best is a rare talent bc of the exact same reason as Spiller

Bulaga is a rare talent because of his run blocking ability/his technque

Iupati is a rare talent bc of his size and athletic ability. In fact, I honestly believe at his size he is more athletic than Spiller respectively

Dez Briant is a rare talent

Brandon Grahm/JPP/Derrick Morgan are all rare talents....

I think your reaching quite a bit here..these guys aren't rare.

I was one of the ones that was hoping we would pick CJ. He is the type of good player the Bills always let other teams pick.

He reminds me of Thurman. He is a mini beast.

Everyone acts like Spiller doesn't make the offensive line better.

No running back can make an offensive line play better. At the absolute most, he can make the flaws of the o-line less important. And hopefully make the opponents d-line flaws more apparent.

Despite what Buddy is hoping for, no running back can make plays entirely on his own too often at this level. Particularly a rookie.

Spiller was the most talented player in the draft bar none. He is also the most likely to create an instant impact on our team as compared to who was left at our 9th spot, so it took as long as 40 seconds to run up with the pick.

Go Cj, that's my CJ.

No running back can make an offensive line play better. At the absolute most, he can make the flaws of the o-line less important. And hopefully make the opponents d-line flaws more apparent.

Despite what Buddy is hoping for, no running back can make plays entirely on his own too often at this level. Particularly a rookie.

Sayers, Sanders....hmmm... His first breakaway TD will leave you in tears with all the other Bills fans / opponents.

The breeze is blowing different at the Ralph this season, prepare.

so who would we have gotten, without naming him specifically, Nix already said he didnt think bulaga was a good option. So who then, what good would trading back accomplish. The fact is that Nix and chan felt that we needed an explosive playmaker more than a mediocre right tackle or overrated QB.

Well you're making the assumption that Nix's vision or plan is something to actually follow. But see, for me, the mere fact that he took a RB at 9 shows me that either it's just more of the same from this inept front office (with Ralph actually pulling the trigger), the same front office that has wasted 4 first round picks on RBs over the past decade -- a playoffless decade.

Put it this way, do you honestly believe that there will be no pro-bowl or even (gasp) hall of fame players to come out of this draft that were taken AFTER pick number 9? Don't you think that it's highly likely that there will be at least a handful of players who will become impact players at the OT, LB, QB, WR and DL positions? And if that's true, don't you think the Bills would have benefited from trading back, getting more picks and picking one of those impact players at a position of desperate need rather than using a very high pick on perhaps the only position on the roster that DOESN'T have a hole?

That's my point ...

Bull. When the defense has to account for a game changing player, it slows down the pass rush and ensures that they keep gap responsibility. You don't think Vince Young got better protection because defenses were more concerned about Chris Brown?

Somehow I doubt Buddy is hoping Spiller makes plays entirely on his own. And rookie RBs in the NFL are by far the most likely to contribute.

Well you're making the assumption that Nix's vision or plan is something to actually follow. But see, for me, the mere fact that he took a RB at 9 shows me that either it's just more of the same from this inept front office (with Ralph actually pulling the trigger), the same front office that has wasted 4 first round picks on RBs over the past decade -- a playoffless decade.

Put it this way, do you honestly believe that there will be no pro-bowl or even (gasp) hall of fame players to come out of this draft that were taken AFTER pick number 9? Don't you think that it's highly likely that there will be at least a handful of players who will become impact players at the OT, LB, QB, WR and DL positions? And if that's true, don't you think the Bills would have benefited from trading back, getting more picks and picking one of those impact players at a position of desperate need rather than using a very high pick on perhaps the only position on the roster that DOESN'T have a hole?

That's my point ...

I think it's hard to argue against taking the best player when you're on the clock.

That's my point ...

Of COURSE there will be great players picked after #9 in this draft. There will be great players picked in every round of the draft, not just in the first.

Problem is, and it's a MAJOR problem, is that it would require a crystal ball to determine who they are. That goes for EVERY team and EVERY selection.

If you have this crystal ball you may want to contact pro sports teams and bid yourself out to highest bidder. You will make billions.

It's one thing to disagree with the Spiller pick. It's another to imply that the front office was passing over future HOFers by doing so. As a matter of fact, if past is prologue, then Spiller has the BEST potential for achieving greatness based on his college career. He was the best offensive player in the draft. The best playmaker in the draft. His production cannot be questioned. How well that translates to the pros remains to be seen but that's not different than ANY player drafted.

Not trying to be a smartass, but would you be willing to go out on a limb and tell me which players from this draft, picked after Spiller, are going to be All Pros? Heck, just tell me who's going to be on the All Rookie teams. I'll settle for that.

GO BILLS!!!