Troy Smith More than a Backup

PDaDdy

Nix was an SEC scout primarily. He scouted Campbell while at Auburn I'm sure. If Nix didn't go after Campbell he has his reasons. Anyone who thinks he's really that much better than what we already have must not have seen too many of his games while in Washington.

The reason is obvious. He wants to see what the 3 guys he has can do with better coaching and a better scheme. It's their choice obviously. I would just like to see another competitive horse in the race because the we know what Fitz and Trent can do. The only hope I have is that Brohm looks like the 2nd round candidate he was not the guy that went to 3rd string in GB and was put on the practice squad. Hey ...at least Troy Smith wasn't on the practice squad. lol

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article you cited did not indicate that Troy Smith's teammates felt he should be the full-time starter. Rather, the teammates--specifically Ed Reed--had objected to Troy Smith's demotion to third-string status. The current pecking order in Baltimore is 1) Joe Flacco, 2) Marc Bulger, 3) Troy Smith. Ed Reed had felt that Troy Smith should have remained the #2 QB.

If we were to bring in Troy Smith, the QB competition would be between the Ravens' former third-string QB, the Packers' former third string QB, the Browns' former second-string QB, and our own former third round pick at QB. I somehow doubt that a Joe Montana would emerge from that group.

Never indicated that it said he should be the full time starter. I stated that Ed Reed believes that he is more than capable of leading a team to a championship. It does not even say leading the Ravens to a championship. Just a team. He also feels that Troy is "the guy", at backup I assume, and Bulger is just another guy who has been around the league.

"Speaking on 105.7 The Fan, Reed said that Troy Smith would be more than equipped to lead the team to a championship if asked.

"I honestly think Troy was the guy and is the guy [at the backup spot]. . . . [bulger is] "just another guy that's been in the league and been around," Reed said.

It's right about now Bulger may be wondering if he picked the wrong team. And Ravens management may be thinking they are better off getting rid of Smith soon. "

Your post is rambling nonsense. Smith was the last pick of the 5th round. Hes a bench warmer with Baltimore and not considered a prospect by any means. So yea armchair GM lets give away a pick for a scrub to "compete" with the guys we have.

You're not getting it or you ridiculously over value the MEGA scrubs we already have on the team. Proven track record of failure is apparently better to you then a promising prospect.

Sticking with Trent is like paying someone to **** in your mouth....but hey....you're probably into that.

Sadly, your post describes exactly how I feel about Trent (and I am not into that).

I hope I am wrong, but at this point I really have no interest in seeing him play for us anymore.

It sounds to me like you'd thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to get Troy Smith's **** all over your dick.

That is just down right nasty. Maybe Peyton Manning but Troy Smith?...No way! Your son has had plenty of chances to show what he can do Mr Edwards. It's time for him to move on.

Never indicated that it said he should be the full time starter. I stated that Ed Reed believes that he is more than capable of leading a team to a championship. It does not even say leading the Ravens to a championship. Just a team. He also feels that Troy is "the guy", at backup I assume, and Bulger is just another guy who has been around the league.

"Speaking on 105.7 The Fan, Reed said that Troy Smith would be more than equipped to lead the team to a championship if asked.

"I honestly think Troy was the guy and is the guy [at the backup spot]. . . . [bulger is] "just another guy that's been in the league and been around," Reed said.

It's right about now Bulger may be wondering if he picked the wrong team. And Ravens management may be thinking they are better off getting rid of Smith soon. "

Based on the tone of Ed Reed's comments, I think he's responding to the (perceived) injustice of Troy Smith's demotion to third string status. Under those circumstances, we have to make allowances for at least the potential of a certain amount of hyperbole. This might be a case of a guy saying what he feels needs to be said to back up a friend; as opposed to (for example) a dispassionate analysis by a Polian-like GM concluding that Troy Smith really does have the potential to lead a team to a championship.

It's also worth noting that Donte Whitner had in the past expressed a very high degree of confidence in Trent Edwards. The lesson to be learned here is that just because one of your safeties thinks highly of a particular QB, doesn't necessarily mean you should be sold on that QB.

Never indicated that it said he should be the full time starter.

Jesus H, you are all over the place.

Then what did you indicate?

Because from my perspective (and many others), it sure as hell sounds like you thought he could be the starter.

When Thoner 7 stated: "So is a 5th too much for a starting QB?", you agreed by stating: "Exactly! You get it."

Your own thread title "Troy Smith more than a back up" seems to indicate you think he could be starter.

And when I pointed out that nobody actually states that 'Smith is more than a back up', you replied:

His teammates have said EXACTLY that he is more than a backup. "Speaking on 105.7 The Fan, Reed said that Troy Smith would be more than equipped to lead the team to a championship if asked. " Again read the article.

To say a guy can win a championship goes WAY beyond thinking he is a backup.

Now you are saying you never indicated Smith should be the full time starter.

He's more than a back up, but not a starter?

What the hell is he?

And if you do not think he has the capability to be a starter, then why should the Bills spend a draft pick to acquire him?

I stated that Ed Reed believes that he is more than capable of leading a team to a championship. It does not even say leading the Ravens to a championship. Just a team.

And as Edwards Arm has already pointed out, Donte thought highly of Edwards, and so did Bill Walsh.

How did that work out?

What makes you believe Reed's evaluation of a QB is any better than Donte's or Walsh's?

He also feels that Troy is "the guy", at backup I assume, and Bulger is just another guy who has been around the league.

Here's a concept. Maybe Reed's comments are not necessarily his indication of Troy Smith's ability of being "more than a back up", but of his indication of Bulger's inability to lead a team.

As I and others have pointed out: a player sticking up for a teammate. Imagine that.

Reed expressed an opinion. Take it for that. Why some think that a man's simple words have deep intent is beyond me.

You'd think it was the first time an athlete ever said something nice about a teammate. :rolleyes:

Sticking with Trent is like paying someone to **** in your mouth....but hey....you're probably into that.

Maybe you ought to evaluate where you are in life right now. Time to take stock - maybe enroll in a trade school and learn a craft. Because right now you sound like a kid on the short bus wearing a hockey helmet swearing at the cars that go by.

Just so not one person is unfairly maligned, this is the chronology and escalation of the fecal references:

Trading for Troy Smith is like paying someone to **** in your pants.

It sounds to me like you'd thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to get Troy Smith's **** all over your dick.

C'mon fellas. Don't portray yourselves like this.

Reed expressed an opinion. Take it for that. Why some think that a man's simple words have deep intent is beyond me.

I assume this was in response to my post. (If not I apologize.)

I think it's important to pay attention to not just what a player says, but the context in which it's said. Reed's comments were made in the immediate aftermath of the Bulger signing. Reed was clearly unhappy about that signing, and about Troy Smith's demotion to third string status. Some people are known to exaggerate a little when they're angry or when they're trying to prove a point. Without knowing Reed, I can neither confirm nor rule out that possibility in this case.

I personally suspect that if Troy Smith had been performing at a high level in practices and in the preseason, that the Ravens wouldn't have brought in Bulger to take the #2 QB spot. Granted, NFL front offices have been wrong before. Witness the fact that the Green Bay Packers cut Kurt Warner, and that no other NFL team would take him for a while. On the whole, however, I'd trust the opinion of a front office a lot more than that of a safety.

Assuming that you know that this change would not be for the better without giving it a try is dumb AND arrogant.

Again, chance just for change sake is dumb.

Arrogance has nothing to do with it, unless it's your own for beating this unlikely idea to death.

Troy Smith, outside of your self and possibly his family, is not a well regarded NFL QB.