Troy Smith More than a Backup

PDaDdy

Troy Smith ???

Really????

This is for real right???

Troy Smith????

I feel confident in saying that all 4 of our fairly inept "stable" of Qb's are better than Troy Smith will ever be.

Where does this stuff come from?

It comes from someone with no common sense and apparently not a bit of football knowledge. You are correct, our QB situation might be the worst in the NFL, but I too would take any of our 4 QBs over Smith, an under achieving piss poor attitude player who was a fit for the college system, but not the NFL. Maybe he can try the NBA like Charlie Ward did, or just disappear like Tommy Frazier, two of the best college QBs over the past quarter century.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't remember stating he was a savior. Just that he could easily end up being better than what we have.

.....and so might my son......in about 6 years.

Tory Smith - no better, and likely worse that what we already have. Change for change sake isn't progress, it's just plain dumb.

Please don't lump me in. There is NO guarantee that Troy Smith would be our starter but he could potentially VERY easily beat out Trent Edwards who is potentially our starter.

And he could potentially VERY easily be the 5th best QB in camp, so the ideal of giving up anything to get him is insane.

Not to mention that every QB they add to the camp rotation (they already have four), means less time to work and be evaluated for each of the other guys.

FIXED! LOL

That was covered actually in my "fairly inept stable of qb's " comment. Trent is miles better than Troy Smith will ever be, and Trent has some serious issue right now so that's saying a lot.

Eh the haters will hate I guess. As already stated it is 99% unlikely that Troy Smith will end up in Buffalo I know. The point is Ed Reed believes that he is more than a back up and is capable of leading a team to a champion ship. So to sum up.

Ed Reed, probowl professional football player who has seen Troy Smith every day for all team activities for the past 3+ years says that he is capable.

Buffalo Bills forum members, he sucks he will never be anything and isn't as good as what we have.

Some may call me arrogant but you chose who's opinion you would listen to. Like Leonidas likes to point out about considering the source. Are you going to listen to some nameless, faceless schmuck with his hat on backwards typing away on an internet forum or a professional football player of the highest caliber has worked side by side with and seen the Troy Smith's game from the Safety position for 3+ years?

You decide. *sheesh*

The entire coaching staff of Troy Smith's current team disagrees with Ed Reed.

I think we have to see if Edwards or Brohm are going to pan out and bringing in others who "might" pan out just dilutes the time we have to evaluate and develop. I think you got what you got at qb for now. Edwards is an interesting option who has had a less than optimal situation up until now, with bad line play and poor coaching. At least he'll have good coaching if he starts. And Brohm will have ample opportunity to show what he has.

Tory Smith - no better, and likely worse that what we already have. Change for change sake isn't progress, it's just plain dumb.

Assuming that you know that this change would not be for the better without giving it a try is dumb AND arrogant.

Assuming that you know that this change would not be for the better without giving it a try is dumb AND arrogant.

Na, not to jump in here but it was clear to many who watched the guy play games at Ohio State that he was not an NFL caliber Quarterback, other than maybe a gadget type of guy.

Troy Smith is like a God. This guy is so awesome that despite drafting a QB in the 1st round with him on the roster, the coaching staff had pegged him to start over Kyle Boller and the rookie based on training camp. Name one of our QBs that ever got named starter after training camp.

I am optimistic for the direction the team is going to be taking under Nix and Gailey but like any other realist I am deeply concerned about the LT and QB position. Our plan at LT is apparently to try to hit the lottery and turn another UDFA or 7th round pick into a probowl LT. Good luck with that. Really, good luck with that. I hope somebody steps up.

QB is even more or a gamble. I get that they want to give the guys they have a chance in a real system with real coaching but the cupboard looks pretty bare. Even if 1 of the three candidates can step up mentally I am not overly impressed with any of them physically. Brohm is probably the best thing we have from a physical perspective and might have the best of a group of mediocre arms.

That being said I just can't agree with Nix/Gailey about not bringing another to guy to compete at the QB position. I think we really screwed the pooch on Jason Campbell as he has already in an even worse situation in Washington outperformed the motley crue we have. Troy Smith is another guy that could come in to compete. What is the worst that could happen? He PROVES that he is better than the fodder we have. How could that be a bad thing? His team mates and seem to think that he is more than just a back up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ed-than-bulger/

This was my favorite part. Proving he's better than our current QB's is the "worst that could happen," eh? Terrific.

That's just the thing: you can't know ANYTHING for a fact here. Troy Smith might turn out to be the next Johnny Unitas. The odds are seriously against that happening, but nobody knows for sure. All signs, however, point to it being a bad move, especially for the type of compensation you were suggesting.

That is news to me. Can you provide a link to those comments? :rolleyes: Nice try...thanks for your input.

oops...

I am optimistic for the direction the team is going to be taking under Nix and Gailey but like any other realist I am deeply concerned about the LT and QB position. Our plan at LT is apparently to try to hit the lottery and turn another UDFA or 7th round pick into a probowl LT. Good luck with that. Really, good luck with that. I hope somebody steps up.

QB is even more or a gamble. I get that they want to give the guys they have a chance in a real system with real coaching but the cupboard looks pretty bare. Even if 1 of the three candidates can step up mentally I am not overly impressed with any of them physically. Brohm is probably the best thing we have from a physical perspective and might have the best of a group of mediocre arms.

That being said I just can't agree with Nix/Gailey about not bringing another to guy to compete at the QB position. I think we really screwed the pooch on Jason Campbell as he has already in an even worse situation in Washington outperformed the motley crue we have. Troy Smith is another guy that could come in to compete. What is the worst that could happen? He PROVES that he is better than the fodder we have. How could that be a bad thing? His team mates and seem to think that he is more than just a back up.

The article you cited did not indicate that Troy Smith's teammates felt he should be the full-time starter. Rather, the teammates--specifically Ed Reed--had objected to Troy Smith's demotion to third-string status. The current pecking order in Baltimore is 1) Joe Flacco, 2) Marc Bulger, 3) Troy Smith. Ed Reed had felt that Troy Smith should have remained the #2 QB.

If we were to bring in Troy Smith, the QB competition would be between the Ravens' former third-string QB, the Packers' former third string QB, the Browns' former second-string QB, and our own former third round pick at QB. I somehow doubt that a Joe Montana would emerge from that group.

Nix was an SEC scout primarily. He scouted Campbell while at Auburn I'm sure. If Nix didn't go after Campbell he has his reasons. Anyone who thinks he's really that much better than what we already have must not have seen too many of his games while in Washington.

Nix was an SEC scout primarily. He scouted Campbell while at Auburn I'm sure. If Nix didn't go after Campbell he has his reasons. Anyone who thinks he's really that much better than what we already have must not have seen too many of his games while in Washington.

They're just stat book junkies who don't understand the difference between garbage time and clutch performance. Campbell's pretty good between the 20s and pretty solid in garbage time against prevent D when his team is down 21, but when his team needs a big play he's a lock to flop.

The best games the Redskins have had during his time as starter are when he's injured and Todd Collins plays.

What would he have to "give up"? Troy Smith was a 3rd round pick and is "currently a backup". Another poster said this in a completely unrelated thread but fans are always so concerned what we would need to give up in the way off draft picks and consider them to be more valuable than gold...UNTIL THEY SEE THE GUY WE USE THE PICK ON. For the lottery mentality crowd they think that our 3rd round pick could be the next super star to set the league on fire and is too valuable to give up.

How we should really look at it is is the player we are getting worth what we would potentially get in the draft. I would be ecstatic if we could get a guy of that quality with the NFL experience in the 3rd round in the 2011 draft. That is just one scenario.

How about THIS scenario!?!?!?!?!

WE TRADE DONTE WHITNER FOR TROY SMITH STRAIGHT UP!!!!!!!!

Did anyone notice that Ed Reed by his own admission is at 35% and is likely to begin the season on the PUP list? Let's also not forget that Ed Reed has a bunch of miles on him and he is very injury prone. Donte Whitner might be a perfect answer for the Ravens at safety to fill in for Reed in the short term and eventually replace him. How is that for a win win scenario? Well...that is...unless you are in love with Donte Whitner and the stellar level of play he has exhibited on this team. Maybe the Ravens and their defense could get him playing like the 1st round pick he is.

Your post is rambling nonsense. Smith was the last pick of the 5th round. Hes a bench warmer with Baltimore and not considered a prospect by any means. So yea armchair GM lets give away a pick for a scrub to "compete" with the guys we have.

Lol. I will bet you any amount of money at any odds he can't. Thanks for your valuable input. I guess we shouldn't draft a QB or get a free agent QB next year either if all 3 fail. There is no guarantee they will be any better. Is that really the stance you are taking? Don't do ANYTHING because there are no guarantees in life? How is life in your mothers basement?