Where do you think our Defense will rank this year?

I think we will be a top 12 defense. I feel we will get more pressure on the QB, but not as much as we will eventually need meaning more upgrades next year. The run defense will be improved but it is hard not to improve on that mess from last year.

I think we will be a top 12 defense. I feel we will get more pressure on the QB, but not as much as we will eventually need meaning more upgrades next year. The run defense will be improved but it is hard not to improve on that mess from last year.

Well I like to think we will be top 10. However the AFC east will affect that as they all seem ready to have stron Offensive teams. But lets hope your right!!

I think we will be a top 12 defense.

Are you a heroin addict and post when you are in a stupor?

The run defense will be improved but it is hard not to improve on that mess from last year.

You are stating the obvious. When you can't get worse because you are on the bottom you can't help but improve your rankings.

Normally I'd say, "show me the worst rated run defense in the league and I'll show you a top rated pass defense." The two go hand in hand. Just look at the historical facts relative to those stats.

But the Bills gave up a VERY stingy 6 yards per pass last season, second only to the Jests. That's a legit statement about a pretty good secondary.

If we can keep our defense off the field a bit more with better offensive play AND limit our opponents on first and second downs while on defense, we got a legit chance of being a top 10 D.

The pieces are there. It's a question of how quickly our personnel can adapt to the new scheme.

GO BILLS!!!

I really like our chances of being good. It's funny - or not really - I'm thinking 3 of the top 10 defenses will be in our division: Jets, Miami, and Buffalo. We'll also be facing Baltimore, Green Bay, Cinci, Steelers, and New England twice. Potentially we'll be facing top 10 defenses in half our games! Probably four games against defenses in the top 5.

I don't think we'll be that good this year, but I like our foundation, and I think we're going to be much, much better than most give us credit for. Our secondary will be freer to make plays - and we've got playmakers back there! Other than Byrd, I really like Wilson - I think he's going to be a real legitimate interception machine, a former WR, still learning last year to be a safety, really. Then you've got McKelvin - as hyped as Reevis coming out. Add to that our young guys and the reliable McGee, Florence, and Whitner, and I like Scott's versatility as a safety who could be really good in run support. Our D-line will be better than expected. That's based on K. Williams being underestimated. He's been reliable since he got here, but he's been getting better every year. Spell him with Troupe, and with Carrington, Edwards, and Stroud on the ends, it'll be fine against the run. Our LB's - I like the young guys. There will be learning curves, but my money is on Moats, Batten, and Coleman all being big contributors by seasons end. Add Poz, Davis and Mitchell, and that group is more than capable to stop the run and pressure the QB. That's not mentioning Maybin. If he lives up to half his physical potential, we have strength in a unit that others see as weak.

Yeah, I don't see us being Green Bay good right out of the gates, but I think we'll have a top 7-10 Defense, that can win us games - you know, when you see two teams facing each other with offenses or defenses that are close - maybe within 5 ranking of each other - and both seem at times to be as good as the other - well, in such a way do I see our defense, at times, looking as good as any in the NFL, and giving us many opportunities to win.

Broadly, 22nd to 32nd. If I had to be specific, 24 - 27.

Losing Schobel and not replacing him with a pass rusher is an absolute killer. Not to mention the time necessary to learn the system and figure out which guys don't fit it.

I see the Bills run D improving, but staying in the bottom third of the league. They have tried to make some improvements and it should slightly benefit them. However, I see the Bills pass D slipping down into the middle third of the league. I don't see an effective pass rush happening and that will hurt us. Teams will then have time to pick the secondary apart. But I will be very happy if I am wrong!

lets #2 pass D/ #31 run D last year---switch to 3-4???/

I'll say #3-4 pass D, #16-18 run D=top 15 total Defense

Too many ?'s at OLB and NT to be that optimistic against the run. I would just like us to get off the damn field on 3rd and Long and not give up big yards. I'd be happy with a #20 D.

One thing that I can say with reasonable certainty is that our defense will play hard and be more "tough nosed."

However, just way too many obstacles to overcome this year coupled with lack of experience and players equals a bottom tier defense. I say something like 22-24 overall. I think they real improvement will be seen in a couple of years.

Truthfully, this depends a lot on our offense. If our offense is as bad as last year, then sadly our D is going to be more like 15-20 at best because they will be on the field way too often. If our offense can be solid or better and not keep going 3 and out allowing our defense to get off the field, then I think our potential could be top 10 barring major injuries.

So many people here saying, "too many obstacles, too many ?'s" Well, it's happened a lot recently that a new coordinator comes in, switches the D - Denver, Miami, and Green Bay are good examples - brings in some new guys, moves old guys into "new" positions, and the team flourishes. Elvis Dumerville - he didn't have his breakout season until he was switched to a 3-4 outside linebacker. Previous to that he was just as average as our Kelsay, and not near Schobel.

Linebacker is one of the easiest positions for a good rookie to come in and do well at. We have a good mix at linebacker, just like we have a variety at RB - different guys for different game situations. Troupe will be a big ?, and so will Maybin. But, we have talent that was dormant here for years in a bad system - talent that played good for long stretches, but was asked to do too much, and eventually broke. We've added beef, strength, toughness. We still have speed, though. We will be good. Not the best, but we'll be good enough to stop people and to fight with anyone - it's our offense that needs to hold its own, so we can finally get to the postseason.