Bills' Rbs could be in for a big year

I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I put on the NFL Network and they were showing the Fins-Jets MNF game from 2000 where the Jets had a huge comeback. http://espn.go.com/abcsports/mnf/s/greates...rkjets2000.html

The biggest thing that struck me was the love Chan Gailey was getting. He was the OC of the Fins and the announcers (Michaels, Dan Fouts, and Dennis Miller :angry: ) were falling over in the seats praising the guy. If I was a Jets fan (I'm be obnixious and loud), I would have be pissed. But there was no denying the Gailey was calling some great plays and making JAGs like Lamar Smith, Oronde Gadsen, & Jay Feidler look like stars. The Fins blew the game but Gailey really impressed me.

After seeing what Lamar Smith was doing on the ground, I started wondering how other rbs did under Gailey. However, I got busy this morning and couldn't like it up myself. Luckily while ready Matthew Berry's fantasy column, he did the work for me. http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...2k10tmrlovehate

Fred Jackson, RB, Bills: Currently going two rounds later than C.J. Spiller, I said it on our podcast and I will say it here: Fred Jackson will be the best fantasy running back in Buffalo this year. Did you know he was actually the 16th best fantasy running back last year? He'll get the majority of touches compared to Spiller (who is more of a home run threat). ESPN researcher Gregory Found, of Matt Forte entry fame, also looked at running backs under new Bills coach Chan Gailey for me.

Check out these stats:

Running backs under Chan Gailey

1998 Cowboys Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs

Emmitt Smith 319.0 1332 13 83.3 27 175 2

Sherman Williams 64.0 220 1 13.8 11 104 0

1999 Cowboys Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs

Emmitt Smith 329.0 1397 11 93.1 27 119 2

Chris Warren 99.0 403 2 25.2 34 224 0

2000 Dolphins Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs

Lamar Smith 309.0 1139 14 75.9 31 201 2

Thurman Thomas 28.0 136 0 15.1 16 117 1

2001 Dolphins Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs

Lamar Smith 313.0 968 6 60.5 30 234 2

Travis Minor 59.0 281 2 17.6 29 263 1

2008 Chiefs Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs

Larry Johnson 193.0 874 5 72.8 12 74 0

Jamaal Charles 67.0 357 0 22.3 27 272 1

Two things jump out. First, there's no time-share here. At all. Obviously, you have an Emmitt Smith, he's your workhorse. But you can't tell me Lamar Smith is some amazing talent that had to have 300 touches. Gainey's MO has been that one guy carries the majority of the load. Spiller is not built to be that kind of guy.

Second, notice how many receptions the second guy gets in each case despite not being on the field nearly as much. Some of that is dictated by the skill level of both runners at catching passes, but still. Even though Jackson is a very good pass-catcher (further underscoring him as the guy in this offense), Spiller will see a good many balls. Both are talented, but Jackson will represent the far better fantasy value this year.

I'm making no illusions about the playoffs thoguh I do think the AFC East is really overrated. However, Gailey is probably our best OC in nearly a decade (Mularkey had a solid year in 2004). At the very least, this team should have some identity on offense for the first time in a long time.

I apologize for being positive. :angry:

Interesting statistic about the backup RB getting a lot of catches. The checkdown might be the most dangerous weapon this year...

I know people hate checking down & we definitely to take more down field shots to fully get the most out of Lee, but checkdowns are part on an effective offense.

I don't know if Trent will start but he is just as good of a qb as Fiedler & the Fins got to the playoffs with him under Gailey.

I know people hate checking down & we definitely to take more down field shots to fully get the most out of Lee, but checkdowns are part on an effective offense.

I don't know if Trent will start but he is just as good of a qb as Fiedler & the Fins got to the playoffs with him under Gailey.

If your checkdowns are effective, it will eventually open up and allow the deep passes.

Fantastic find. The most interesting thing I seen was that know matter what team he coached, the stats are about the same. From dallas to the chefs, he truly ran the same across the board. Now of those teams, the big question should be how many had 3 starters as runningbacks??? We don't have 2, but 3 so we will be healthy in December so I bet we run about 400 touches with less passes only because the run will be more effective. BRING ON THE WISHBONE

If your checkdowns are effective, it will eventually open up and allow the deep passes.

The problem is that Trent wouldn't even throw the deep (or even medium) passes when they were open.

His primary/only option is the dump off.

It is generally meant as a second or third option. For Trent it is the one and only option.

Unless there is a marked difference in his play under Gailey, I have no interest in ever seeing him under center for the Bills again

I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I put on the NFL Network and they were showing the Fins-Jets MNF game from 2000 where the Jets had a huge comeback. http://espn.go.com/abcsports/mnf/s/greates...rkjets2000.html

The biggest thing that struck me was the love Chan Gailey was getting. He was the OC of the Fins and the announcers (Michaels, Dan Fouts, and Dennis Miller ;) ) were falling over in the seats praising the guy. If I was a Jets fan (I'm be obnixious and loud), I would have be pissed. But there was no denying the Gailey was calling some great plays and making JAGs like Lamar Smith, Oronde Gadsen, & Jay Feidler look like stars. The Fins blew the game but Gailey really impressed me.

After seeing what Lamar Smith was doing on the ground, I started wondering how other rbs did under Gailey. However, I got busy this morning and couldn't like it up myself. Luckily while ready Matthew Berry's fantasy column, he did the work for me. http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...2k10tmrlovehate

I'm making no illusions about the playoffs thoguh I do think the AFC East is really overrated. However, Gailey is probably our best OC in nearly a decade (Mularkey had a solid year in 2004). At the very least, this team should have some identity on offense for the first time in a long time.

I apologize for being positive. :rolleyes:

Bills do have a chance to make some noise this year. They have three very good (in the case of ML, when he feels like it) running backs and although the O-line is not great in pass protection due principally to our LT problem, it should definitely run block quite adequately (Levitre, Hangartner, Green), especially if Wood makes it back at close to 100% this year. Chan will use the running and short passing game to try and control the ball and the clock (a bit like the Dolphins last year). This way he keeps the ball away from the opposition's offence and gives his own D a break in a transition year. The O-line should also be able to suck it up enough to give the QB enough time for long balls or late developing patterns a limited number of times a game. With an expected level of OC sophistication and professionalism not seen here in many years and assuming one of our QBs can execute Chan's gameplan we could raise a few eyebrows.

The problem is that Trent wouldn't even throw the deep (or even medium) passes when they were open.

It is generally meant as a second or third option. For Trent it is the one and only option.

Unless there is a marked difference in his play under Gailey, I have no interest in ever seeing him under center for the Bills again

I don't care how great of a playcaller/offensive guru Gailey is, if the QB cannot execute the plays called, there isn't a chance of being offensively effective. Eventually throughout the course of a game, the opposing defensive cooordinator will see that #5's trend will be to check off and dump it down to the RB.

The amazing thing is that Trent is still on this team. Sure he might have the ability stashed away somewhere there between the ears but once he lines up opposite different colored jerseys, he becomes tunnel visioned and hence, Captain Checkdown arrives. (cue the Dom Deluise...Kaptain Kaos music)

I hope for the sake of the rest of the players laying it all on the line, that #5's days as a Bill will be limited to a couple weeks of training camp and a preseason game or two.

hey senator, who many of your 7000 posts mention our promising records? 19-0 or 18-1 etc. etc.?

Just the ones that don't mention...

:)

i'm a fan of the senator!

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Sometimes, the overabundance of pessimism on the board needs countermanding - folks tend to forget that teams do come back 'from the depths'...go from 'worst-to-first', from...

Cellar to Penthouse

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! ;)

I don't care how great of a playcaller/offensive guru Gailey is, if the QB cannot execute the plays called, there isn't a chance of being offensively effective. Eventually throughout the course of a game, the opposing defensive cooordinator will see that #5's trend will be to check off and dump it down to the RB.

The amazing thing is that Trent is still on this team. Sure he might have the ability stashed away somewhere there between the ears but once he lines up opposite different colored jerseys, he becomes tunnel visioned and hence, Captain Checkdown arrives. (cue the Dom Deluise...Kaptain Kaos music)

I hope for the sake of the rest of the players laying it all on the line, that #5's days as a Bill will be limited to a couple weeks of training camp and a preseason game or two.

Talent wise, I'd take Trent over Jay Fiedler any day of the week. Trent's biggest problem is overthinking.

I agree with this and it's maddening. But in Trent's last game against the Titans, he was throwing it down the field.

Unless Brohm really steps up, it's Trent's job to lose.