What player does C.J. Spiller most resemble?

Hossage

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came across some Dave Megget highlights, and I still have an old Eric Metcalf poster. It got me thinking.

Marshall Faulk?

I saw Spiller standing next to Drayton Florence, and Florence was a bigger man at the same height.

I was kinda thinking Reggie Bush

All the Reggie Bush comparisons, about how Bush is used so much as a decoy, but how he's incredibly talented - and he's getting like 8 mil. for this season, I think, so he's gotta be worth it in whatever capacity he's being used - and I think, you give a good offensive coach a weapon like Bush, and look what happens. Sure, there's Brees and Co., too. I've been on here this summer mentioning the Rams right before they took the league by storm and won the S.B. - and how Buffalo is going to have a lot of speed. Well, we'll have three really good RB's, too. We do have weapons. It'll be more a matter of being sure to use them - i.e., holding up against the pass rush. But, you give a guy like Gailey a weapon like Spiller - look how long they waited to put the draft card in, they practically ran up to the podium - and I get excited thinking about the Bills being on highlight videos for something other than special teams.

there appears to be some discrepancy here, depending on the oracle one prefers to reference. i see mr. spiller achieving a time of four point TWO seven, whilst traversing the customary distance, according to the normally reliable authority linked below.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=RB

given the young man's acceleration evidenced on film, one might tend to believe the 4.27 figure.

~AS

fred jackson=THUNDER cj spiller=LIGHTING MARSHAWN LYNCH=???

Dude. You kind of have that wrong. You may not like the guy but Lynch WITHOUT QUESTION is thunder. Maybe you can call Jackson Fire or Wind or something all together but sorry Beast Mode is the toughest runner on the team.

I would like to throw this in here for consideration.....

I am by no means an expert on 40 times.....but I have seen enough of athletes TRAINING to run good 40 times that I can reasonably make the following conclusions:

- I tend to believe that CJ Spiller's 40 time was 4.2 something.......but even if it wasn't....I would love to know how fast he is going at the 3/4 mark of the 40 because the guy just has this other gear and you can see it.......why is this important? Because on a football field when you are trying to tackle fast guys it is all about angles of pursuit. As a defender you have to give yourself the right angle to be able to intercept without giving up too much yardage in the process......the extra gear will cause guys to make mistakes in their calculation of Angle and he is going to blow buy people SHOULD HE every get past the LOS

- CJ Spiller's techique on his take off is HORRIBLE.......his armswing on the take off is abbreviated and his forward lean dissapears almost as soon as he takes off out of his stance......but his muscular endurance and turnover (notice how his feet are very low to the ground when he runs) makes up for his technique deficinecies in the take off of his 40.

Well guess what.....in the NFL running backs dont run 40s....they dont get set into fixed positions at a starting gate allowing for the must upswing on the takeoff......CJ Spiller is just one freakishly fast MF'r who has the ability to make subtile effortless cuts and you can tell his instincts are great.......

Cant wait to see him in action

kind of a combination Gayle Sayers/Jim Brown with a little Cookie Gilchrist and OJ thrown in...I think he is probably the greatest running back of all time. Is he in the hall of fame yet?

Yeah, you have a point. But nobody said he was as good as marshall faulk. The jist of this is what type of player is he, I think. Its just offseason speculation.

Just going off his youtube highlights, after looking at all those returns he reminds me of only one great runner:

Forrest Gump.

But you can call him...

Forrest Gump.

GO BILLS!!!

kind of a combination Gayle Sayers/Jim Brown with a little Cookie Gilchrist and OJ thrown in...I think he is probably the greatest running back of all time. Is he in the hall of fame yet?

In all seriousness, Sayers is a fair comparison provided Spiller stays healthy. No one is mentioning his sub-4.3 speed, which is actually astoundingly fast - far faster than Faulk and Bush. Plus Sayers at Kansas was a great returner, and that translated very well to the NFL. Spiller is one of the best returners in college history, yet he can also punch it up the middle.

I dont think he is bigger than Johnson. I doubt spiller is an honest 200 pounds. I dont think he is as thick as Thurman.

Chris Johnson was 5' 11" 197 pounds when drafted in 2008 and now is a hefty 200.

CJ Spiller is 5'11" 196 pounds.

Johnson's a bit faster. Spiller's "equal" times of 4.27 and 4.28 at the combine were unofficial.

His official time at the combine was corrected to 4.37.

That's plenty fast. It's going to be fun watching him run.

I came across some Dave Megget highlights, and I still have an old Eric Metcalf poster. It got me thinking.

Marshall Faulk?

I saw Spiller standing next to Drayton Florence, and Florence was a bigger man at the same height.

He could be the next Chris Johnson or the next Darren McFadden or anything in between.