Pat Moran reporting Edwards will be qb1 = continuity of FAIL

bfw1234

Well, Kelly was clearly one of them since we did draft him even though he took off for the USFL for three years. I'm guessing the other is Joe Ferguson? If I recall we didn't draft Jack Kemp.

Kemp was acquired via a trade with San Diego. He was originally drafted by Detroit.

If you consider that it was probably Kelly's time in the USFL under Mouse Davis that lead to initial part of his development then Joe Ferguson is the only successful QB that the Bills have ever drafted and developed in house... that I can think of.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. When Kelly played for the Gamblers, he was sacked about 100 times and had 2 WR's about the size of Parrish playing with him. Ted Marchibroda helped develop Kelly.
In two seasons in Houston, running coach Mouse Davis' run-and-shoot offense, he threw for 9,842 yards and 83 touchdowns, completing 63% with an average of 8.53 yards per attempt with 45 interceptions. He was the USFL MVP in 1984

Jim Kelly wiki

Hmmm...If he was sacked 100 times then he must have learned to throw all those TD passes while lying on his back! :bag:

PTR

Jim Kelly wiki

Hmmm...If he was sacked 100 times then he must have learned to throw all those TD passes while lying on his back! :bag:

PTR

Promo, I think Mike was exaggerating, but from what I remember, Kelly was sacked a lot. IMO, Kelly was NFL ready in high school, but still needed some developing, which is why Ted Marchibroda deserves some credit here. And, I don't get how people think the USFL developed Kelly into a great QB. Some of those teams in the USFL couldn't beat college teams. There's a reason why the USFL is no longer in existence.

Bottom line, the Bills only drafted 2 quarterbacks in franchise history that have made it to the playoffs (with the Bills). That's pathetic!!!

Buffalo hasn't developed a QB since 1986 (Jim Kelly). Todd Collins was quickly shown the door, Losman & Edwards have both been badly mismanaged, so let's see what Gailey can do with Edwards. If Edwards gets the nod as starter and can't get it done this year, then he'll be out of here at the end of the season.

Agree

I am definitely alright with this. I like brohm but i still think that edwards can be a solid qb in the nfl. I think given his weaknesses he will never be a tier 1 qb but could easily prove to be a tier 2 with time.

Guest dog14787
Edwards was awesome until the AZ game in 2008....Then, he has seemed uncertain....This is his last chance...We'll see....

Trent Edward has been forced to endure the worse management of a football organization, especially on the offensive side of the ball that the Bills have ever seen in my opinion.

This is Trent's first real chance ...We'll see...

Promo, I think Mike was exaggerating, but from what I remember, Kelly was sacked a lot. IMO, Kelly was NFL ready in high school, but still needed some developing, which is why Ted Marchibroda deserves some credit here. And, I don't get how people think the USFL developed Kelly into a great QB. Some of those teams in the USFL couldn't beat college teams. There's a reason why the USFL is no longer in existence.

Bottom line, the Bills only drafted 2 quarterbacks in franchise history that have made it to the playoffs (with the Bills). That's pathetic!!!

IIRC, Kelly did take a beating in the USFL.

Furthermore, Kelly missed several games in 1985 due to an injury, but still managed to toss 4,623 yards and 39 TDs.

Linky

Feel free to check the video library of this site

Mash here

Why is this thread still going as if Chan announced anything?

1. Chan has NOT announced to anyone his pecking order, and all of this is based on a report by an unreliable reporter and alleged players opinnions on what they think it will be. Why on Earth would Chan tell players on the team and NOT his QB's? Am I the only one who realizes how stupid that is and is the number 1 indicator that this tool Moran is just reporting hear say that may not even exist?

2. Who acutally cares who is at the top of the pecking order anyway to start camp. What is so confusing about the fact that Chan has made it 100% clear that there will be a full blown open competition to win the job. Someone has to be listed as QB1 come camp, however, it actually means nothing at all what so ever in terms to who the starter will be come week one. The QB battle was not won or lost in the OTA's, it was just the beginning to the real battle which will be fought in camp and preseason.

Doesnt matter if its Brohm, Fitz or Trent...means nothing...but here is how I put the odds of who will be top of pecking order day 1 of camp:

Trent 50% - Based on experience and percieved potential to be a starter.

Brohm 40% - Based on improvements during OTA and higher potential than any QB on the roster. Lack of experience means he probably has to win it in camp rather before he sits atop pecking order.

Fitz 10% - Long shot to become the starter let alone be atop pecking order day 1, but possible. He has not been very accurate and seems better suited as a solid backup than a full time starter. He didnt seperate himself according to reports during the OTA's, and he is a guy that needed to if he was going to become a real threat for QB1. Still has time to shine in camp and preseason though.

Trent Seems to have zero problems going long in practice so far in Gailey's new offense and out of three QB's competing appears to have gone long more then Brohm or Fitzpatrick and has actually started to get comfortable already with the shifty and elusive Marcus Easley scoring what would have been long TD's strikes on a couple of occasions.

Trent looked good last year during TC.

Big difference with a pass rush I admit, but If Trent Edwards has his confidence back and in my opinion he does, IF we can protect TE he will start to develop into the Championship caliber QB that I know he can be.

That's right. Big difference.

Let's see what happens when the pads go on, and the hitting starts happening for real.

Guest dog14787
Why is this thread still going as if Chan announced anything?

1. Chan has NOT announced to anyone his pecking order, and all of this is based on a report by an unreliable reporter and alleged players opinnions on what they think it will be. Why on Earth would Chan tell players on the team and NOT his QB's? Am I the only one who realizes how stupid that is and is the number 1 indicator that this tool Moran is just reporting hear say that may not even exist?

2. Who acutally cares who is at the top of the pecking order anyway to start camp. What is so confusing about the fact that Chan has made it 100% clear that there will be a full blown open competition to win the job. Someone has to be listed as QB1 come camp, however, it actually means nothing at all what so ever in terms to who the starter will be come week one. The QB battle was not won or lost in the OTA's, it was just the beginning to the real battle which will be fought in camp and preseason.

Doesnt matter if its Brohm, Fitz or Trent...means nothing...but here is how I put the odds of who will be top of pecking order day 1 of camp:

Brohm 40% - Based on improvements during OTA and higher potential than any QB on the roster. Lack of experience means he probably has to win it in camp rather before he sits atop pecking order.

Fitz 10% - Long shot to become the starter let alone be atop pecking order day 1, but possible. He has not been very accurate and seems better suited as a solid backup than a full time starter. He didnt seperate himself according to reports during the OTA's, and he is a guy that needed to if he was going to become a real threat for QB1. Still has time to shine in camp and preseason though.

Them odds sound about right to me, I feel like TE has a slight edge at this point, but nothings set in stone

Fitz 50%

Brohm 20%

Brown 20%

Trent 10%

Through pre season Trent will rack up the completion percentage, sacks, picks, and 3 and outs. Fitz won't be pretty, but we'll score more points with him a the controls. He'll study harder and learn the offense better than the others.

Brohm I'm not so sure about. I don't watch much college football and never heard his name until the Bills got him last year. Some highly touted college QBs are great like P. Manning, Staubach, and Brees. Other aren't like Danny Werful, Ryan Leaf, Art Schlister, Brian Sipe, and J Russell. Brown, who knows? But he does have the most "upside" (translation: hasn't done anything yet) than any of the other QBs.

Really, if Trent doesn't play lights out, he'll be cut. He's in the last year of his contract. If he can't win the job this year, why keep him? Brohm or Brown could be just as good backups.

Fitz 50%

Brohm 20%

Brown 20%

Trent 10%

Through pre season Trent will rack up the completion percentage, sacks, picks, and 3 and outs. Fitz won't be pretty, but we'll score more points with him a the controls. He'll study harder and learn the offense better than the others.

Brohm I'm not so sure about. I don't watch much college football and never heard his name until the Bills got him last year. Some highly touted college QBs are great like P. Manning, Staubach, and Brees. Other aren't like Danny Werful, Ryan Leaf, Art Schlister, Brian Sipe, and J Russell. Brown, who knows? But he does have the most "upside" (translation: hasn't done anything yet) than any of the other QBs.

Really, if Trent doesn't play lights out, he'll be cut. He's in the last year of his contract. If he can't win the job this year, why keep him? Brohm or Brown could be just as good backups.

Are these your odds to be top of the pecking order day 1 of camp or to be the week 1 starter? What I wrote were the odds of who was going to be the top of the pecking order day 1 of camp.

Im not he !@#$ing sucks. I will say it right now, I hope the guy gets taken out asap. I am sick of wasting more and more games/ years on POS QB's.

Darth is name calling the only thing that you are competent at? I hear more of he sucks, he is a POS, looser from you than anyone on this board. I cannot remember a positive statement you have made.

It is of my opinion and only my opinion I do not profess to haveing inside knowledge about anything with the Bills.

TE should be the starting QB to start and complete the season with the Bills. He can play. What QB in the NFL would have succeed with the situation in Buffalo last year. I dare say none. If anyone but TE is the starter come opening day. It will be a very long season with no hope for glory. If TE is the starter and some of the other pieces fit and come into play, ie the 3-4. D. Bell. Viable option at Wide out, and C.J. Spiller. This team will be competive. Like it or not Bills fans without TE running the show this team will be horrid next year, with him we will be competive.

Guest dog14787
week 1 stater

Fitz from an intelligence standpoint has an edge over the competition , he's won nine of his last 14 starts, and the guys fearless.

Not many folks give Ryan Fitzpatrick much of a chance to win the start, but I can guarantee you the coaches are looking at all three QB's with an open mind and Fitz brings allot to the table. Fitzpatrick has already had some excellent practices where he out performed the competition.

I really like our QB's (all of them) and its exactly why I believe Gailey/ Nix decided to concentrate more on other positions and see what a little bit of good coaching/play calling and General management might do for our young group of signal callers.

Darth is name calling the only thing that you are competent at? I hear more of he sucks, he is a POS, looser from you than anyone on this board. I cannot remember a positive statement you have made.

It is of my opinion and only my opinion I do not profess to haveing inside knowledge about anything with the Bills.

TE should be the starting QB to start and complete the season with the Bills. He can play. What QB in the NFL would have succeed with the situation in Buffalo last year. I dare say none. If anyone but TE is the starter come opening day. It will be a very long season with no hope for glory. If TE is the starter and some of the other pieces fit and come into play, ie the 3-4. D. Bell. Viable option at Wide out, and C.J. Spiller. This team will be competive. Like it or not Bills fans without TE running the show this team will be horrid next year, with him we will be competive.

You are basing this statement on what exactly? Hope?

Last year, the Bills were more competitive under Fitzpatrick than they were under Trent.

And nobody really knows how Brohm will play.

Buffalo hasn't developed a QB since 1986 (Jim Kelly). Todd Collins was quickly shown the door, Losman & Edwards have both been badly mismanaged, so let's see what Gailey can do with Edwards. If Edwards gets the nod as starter and can't get it done this year, then he'll be out of here at the end of the season.

Buffalo didn't develop Kelly, he went to another league and came to the bills ready to play for the most part, his first season was rough, but thats cuz he didn't have much talent around him. Even then buffalo got lucky. Dont get me wrong I hope they can now. But you cant give credit when it wasn't due.